British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Surely no Councils can go against government guidelines ?  I do not know exactly what the rules will be, but there will be some, and they

will be the same anywhere in the country.  Stuff like distancing and face coverings, sanitisers etc plus limits on numbers, I would expect.

Could include a negative test now that the test kits are free. Still 6 weeks away and a lot can happen in that time---good and bad.

The government issue the guidlines, but the local councils will make the final decisions. This is how it was with non league football, before the latest lockdown. Every stadium is different, in design and capacity.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The government issue the guidlines, but the local councils will make the final decisions. This is how it was with non league football, before the latest lockdown. Every stadium is different, in design and capacity.

100% Correct...

When I was involved with Arena Essex, on the Stock Car side, we were told that catch fencing had to be installed but the two sets of H&S who were involved said they would close us down if we built it according to what their opposite number wanted. Took a lot of work and some cunning to get something they would both accept. I lost all faith in local councils at that point. 

On 2/12/2021 at 9:39 PM, DragonsDen said:

I've been off this forum for some time now but have just checked back in - I walked past Plough Lane today and I had a tear in my eye, no it wasn't the wind but the unbelievable amount of construction that has gone on. The football stadium has been completed but obviously, with the pandemic, they are not allowed to play there yet. Being a local and going down the dons all my life I really miss the place and having seen pictures of the football ground, I cannot understand why speedway is completely out of the frame.

The other thing that bothers me is they haven't done anything for the infrastructure in regards to transport etc but hey, what do I know. 

Now sorry about my rant and back on subject

Kent Kings is now the closest track to me and I will go when I can but that early start time just kills me getting there most of the time. Good luck to everyone racing this year and I hope we do get to see some racing :t:

Bit late coming back on this, but, one would have thought that with another stadium being designed and now erected that someone from the BSPA could have requested that the design would include a speedway track. I also believe Jon Cook had at one time looked into a track being part of the redesign of the Olympic Stadium when West Ham and other London football teams were vying for the use of those facilities. Perhaps London does not want a speedway team and yes I went to many of those venues during the times when there were sufficient clubs to permit the London Riders Championship.

1 hour ago, Rebel1 said:

Bit late coming back on this, but, one would have thought that with another stadium being designed and now erected that someone from the BSPA could have requested that the design would include a speedway track. I also believe Jon Cook had at one time looked into a track being part of the redesign of the Olympic Stadium when West Ham and other London football teams were vying for the use of those facilities. Perhaps London does not want a speedway team and yes I went to many of those venues during the times when there were sufficient clubs to permit the London Riders Championship.

Can you enlarge please ?  I have not head anything about a new stadium. Is it true ? Where is it ?  A London club might suit me better than

Sittingbourne so long as it has seating. I'm still a Hammer at heart..

20 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Can you enlarge please ?  I have not head anything about a new stadium. Is it true ? Where is it ?  A London club might suit me better than

Sittingbourne so long as it has seating. I'm still a Hammer at heart..

East End Fan, I think you have mis-read my comment. I was merely saying that as a new football stadium was being built in Plough Lane that the design could have included a speedway track. As for the Olympic stadium I believe Jon Cook had put out feelers regarding getting track incorporated in that stadium. Both things have been missed opportunities.

I used to go to Rayleigh before changing to West Ham in 64 and like you moved across to Arena. Being domiciled in Kent I now have a home County track to end my days at.

22 minutes ago, Rebel1 said:

East End Fan, I think you have mis-read my comment. I was merely saying that as a new football stadium was being built in Plough Lane that the design could have included a speedway track. As for the Olympic stadium I believe Jon Cook had put out feelers regarding getting track incorporated in that stadium. Both things have been missed opportunities.

I used to go to Rayleigh before changing to West Ham in 64 and like you moved across to Arena. Being domiciled in Kent I now have a home County track to end my days at.

Missed - but very expensive - opportunities?

4 hours ago, Rebel1 said:

Thank you Rebel.  I was not aware of the new football stadium at Plough Lane.  Given the good Speedway support in that area, I am surprised that no one

got in there to include it.  I have moved around rather like yourself.  We have probably met without realising it !!  Although I do not live in Kent, my journey

down the M2 is not too bad and, like yourself, I will probably see my days out as a Kings fan. Must say it is very comfortable to watch, unlike Arena.

The big problem is that the FA will not allow a football league team to play at a stadium that has a speedway or stock car track around it. The Scottish FA don't have the rule which means that Cowdenbeath Racewall is allowed around the football pitch. 

9 hours ago, Chris116 said:

The big problem is that the FA will not allow a football league team to play at a stadium that has a speedway or stock car track around it. The Scottish FA don't have the rule which means that Cowdenbeath Racewall is allowed around the football pitch. 

Interesting fact as there have been a few tracks around football pitches in the past. When West Ham went to the wall I believe a team was to go into the Rochester dog complex before  at the eleventh hour going to Romford football stadium.

Guest compost
10 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Out of interest when was that rule introduced ?  There was some talk of Wembley circa '93 for a world final till the FA said no but didn't quote that rule as the reason. Otherwise Halifax was the last Speedway with a football pitch inside I think (?)

59 minutes ago, Rebel1 said:

Interesting fact as there have been a few tracks around football pitches in the past. When West Ham went to the wall I believe a team was to go into the Rochester dog complex before  at the eleventh hour going to Romford football stadium.

I saw racing at Romford, it was a VERY narrow track with a concrete wall that was the fence. It existed before the FA made their rule. 

4 minutes ago, compost said:

Out of interest when was that rule introduced ?  There was some talk of Wembley circa '93 for a world final till the FA said no but didn't quote that rule as the reason. Otherwise Halifax was the last Speedway with a football pitch inside I think (?)

Sorry, I don't know when the rule was introduced. 

On 4/10/2021 at 9:28 PM, Chris116 said:

When I was involved with Arena Essex, on the Stock Car side, we were told that catch fencing had to be installed but the two sets of H&S who were involved said they would close us down if we built it according to what their opposite number wanted. Took a lot of work and some cunning to get something they would both accept. I lost all faith in local councils at that point. 

I suppose that’s why there are different rules at tracks about how close the public can stand near the track.