British Speedway Forum

10 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

It’s all about VFM though......how often is a night out at speedway in this country worth 15-20 sheets? 

Could be worse.  You could be paying £100, just like the F1 GP at Silverstone, to watch follow the leader there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Could be worse.  You could be paying £100, just like the F1 GP at Silverstone, to watch follow the leader there.

£100, blimey you do Silverstone on the cheap.

But you only see part of the track unless you are looking at the big screens which is the tv footage which also tells the story that if you are watching the big screens, you might as well be at home unless you like the atmosphere.

But people year on year pay in huge numbers to go. 

Speedway would love to have that many fans through the gates even if they all paid 20pence each to get in. 

F1 GP let the drivers practice for 3 days then put the fastest at the front and call it racing :rofl:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, lewy said:

I don't know what the fuss is about 15 to 20 quid is not unreasonable imo,especially compared to other motorsports

Agree entirely. I have been to many speedway meetings over the years and have never felt short changed. Some great matches and some not so good ones but that's just like any other sport. It's always the anticipation of thinking it's going to be a great meeting.

In the grand scheme of things I don't think people should moan about having to pay £15 to £18 per meeting.

• Like 2

Comparisons with a F1 meeting to a league speedway meeting are irrelevant. Maybe a speedway GP meeting is a more reasonable comparison. Even then they are entirely different sports that attract a different crowd. The F1 boys complain that speedway riders just go round and round in circles and follow the leader ! Bottom line is that the crowds turn up for F1 worldwide in far greater numbers than speedway GPs. 

In my “career “ of supporting speedway, I have felt short changed on several occasions.

Endless delays to meetings due to so many excuses too numerous to mention...standing on a grass/mud bank in spartan conditions which often result in.........

matches finished early due to “curfews” usually due to incompetent refereeing and/or meeting presentation. Declared result with 12 heats and no refunds.

Arriving at stadiums to discover teams missing top riders and using R/R . ( pre internet days) now check online before travelling. Teams of 6 or even 5 riders

........infamous match England vs USA at Ipswich cancelled at short notice due to lack of a USA team! Wasted journey of 200 miles on a sunny evening. 

My £20 now pays for 15 heats, maybe only 12 with a declared result, as against my 2 bob paying for 19 or 20 heats . Oh yes 3d. for a programme, now laughingly priced at £3. Delays and more delays don’t deliver value  for money for me and maybe have attended my last speedway meeting. 

I do however have to defend the Kent Kings stadium,  who possibly have the best appointed spectator facilities in British Speedway. 

Yes, I know but you need to be their early to get a view with a £99 ticket and you face being on your feet all day or carrying a portable chair.

For a mid-point ticket you are likely to pay around £300 and then there is car park - £60 last time I went.

5 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Comparisons with a F1 meeting to a league speedway meeting are irrelevant. Maybe a speedway GP meeting is a more reasonable comparison. Even then they are entirely different sports that attract a different crowd. The F1 boys complain that speedway riders just go round and round in circles and follow the leader ! Bottom line is that the crowds turn up for F1 worldwide in far greater numbers than speedway GPs. 

In my “career “ of supporting speedway, I have felt short changed on several occasions.

Endless delays to meetings due to so many excuses too numerous to mention...standing on a grass/mud bank in spartan conditions which often result in.........

matches finished early due to “curfews” usually due to incompetent refereeing and/or meeting presentation. Declared result with 12 heats and no refunds.

Arriving at stadiums to discover teams missing top riders and using R/R . ( pre internet days) now check online before travelling. Teams of 6 or even 5 riders

........infamous match England vs USA at Ipswich cancelled at short notice due to lack of a USA team! Wasted journey of 200 miles on a sunny evening. 

My £20 now pays for 15 heats, maybe only 12 with a declared result, as against my 2 bob paying for 19 or 20 heats . Oh yes 3d. for a programme, now laughingly priced at £3. Delays and more delays don’t deliver value  for money for me and maybe have attended my last speedway meeting. 

I do however have to defend the Kent Kings stadium,  who possibly have the best appointed spectator facilities in British Speedway. 

Old Bob of Herne Bay is quite right in pointing out many of the faults that exist in Speedway and we all get exasperated by them from time to time. But

for me, the good times very much outweighs the bad times. Like Bob, I enjoy Central Park Stadium and it is the very reason why, when Arena closed, it was

an easy choice to make even though it is a 45 minutes drive down the M2. Never paid £3 for a programme as he suggests though.

Well the team suits looked very smart in the pictures from today's practice at Leicester. Hopefully the boys had a productive afternoon.

3 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Well the team suits looked very smart in the pictures from today's practice at Leicester. Hopefully the boys had a productive afternoon.

Team may well look smart but the official photo on Speedwaygb is a shocker - dark and the riders not looking at the camera. How on earth did the Kent PR man let that one out?

It portrays a poor image of the club (pun intended!)

13 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Agree...teams look so much smarter and professional in team suits.

11 hours ago, blueherb777 said:

Agree...teams look so much smarter and professional in team suits.

Where can I pickup pictures of the team in suits ?