British Speedway Forum

East End Fan clearly enjoys his speedway at Central Park

Sadly nothing I read on the Speedway Updates site about the meeting remotely tempts me back to watch a speedway meeting.  6 heats all restarted,  delay after delay with the new rule of "anticipating the start". Referee changing thier mind about exclusion decisions.

Capped off by 2 mismatched sides , with the home side never looking like snatching an unlikely victory.

Thats "Top Quality" racing  ?  Not for me. 

• Like 1

Redcar were always going to be too strong for a Kent side now having to do without possibly their best trapper - Bacon - and having their second heat leader, Heeps clearly struggling after his injury. Yet in Nicholls and a very impressive Paul Starke, plus the ever reliable Ben Morley, they put on a fine show. A word also for the struggling Paul Hurry - he looked more on the pace and was excluded when trying his best to keep Charles Wright at bay in his second ride.  It was also very interesting, as a Kent follower, to see how Drew Kemp rode. In his season at Central Park, I often thought he didn't do himself justice, but with this display he really showed how he has progressed in such a short period of time. Scotty had to go some to beat him in heat 10, and he won heat two by a mile. 

Yes, there were reruns - what do you expect with James Sergeant in two of the first three races! In all fairness though, the lad gated fairly in four races and rode as well as I've ever seen him to get two wins in his 10 points. Not bad for a second string with an average barely over 4, yet his number one, with an average over 9.5, struggled to make a start all night! Spectacular 'offs' for first Jake Allen and then Charles Wright were the result of racing incidents in which the Kent rider was racing hard for the points. I for one am quite happy to accept another rerun after such racing.

Clearly Kent need to strengthen, but being a Tuesday night track surely rules out all those who ride in Sweden and limits their options greatly compared to other championship tracks. Judging by the great reception young Dan Gilkes got after his post meeting spin after, by his standards a below par night, I'm optimistic that the majority of fans will continue to support the team in this difficult first season. 

Treat yourself Old Bob - get down to Central Park and enjoy watching two Premiership stars in Scott Nicholls and Paul Starke racing at the top of their game.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hawks 1975 said:

Redcar were always going to be too strong for a Kent side now having to do without possibly their best trapper - Bacon - and having their second heat leader, Heeps clearly struggling after his injury. Yet in Nicholls and a very impressive Paul Starke, plus the ever reliable Ben Morley, they put on a fine show. A word also for the struggling Paul Hurry - he looked more on the pace and was excluded when trying his best to keep Charles Wright at bay in his second ride.  It was also very interesting, as a Kent follower, to see how Drew Kemp rode. In his season at Central Park, I often thought he didn't do himself justice, but with this display he really showed how he has progressed in such a short period of time. Scotty had to go some to beat him in heat 10, and he won heat two by a mile. 

Yes, there were reruns - what do you expect with James Sergeant in two of the first three races! In all fairness though, the lad gated fairly in four races and rode as well as I've ever seen him to get two wins in his 10 points. Not bad for a second string with an average barely over 4, yet his number one, with an average over 9.5, struggled to make a start all night! Spectacular 'offs' for first Jake Allen and then Charles Wright were the result of racing incidents in which the Kent rider was racing hard for the points. I for one am quite happy to accept another rerun after such racing.

Clearly Kent need to strengthen, but being a Tuesday night track surely rules out all those who ride in Sweden and limits their options greatly compared to other championship tracks. Judging by the great reception young Dan Gilkes got after his post meeting spin after, by his standards a below par night, I'm optimistic that the majority of fans will continue to support the team in this difficult first season. 

Treat yourself Old Bob - get down to Central Park and enjoy watching two Premiership stars in Scott Nicholls and Paul Starke racing at the top of their game.

hawks1975, I could not agree more.  I thought that the match against Redcar was a terrific entertainment and at one point I thought that the Kings just might

get a result.  While that turned out to be too optimistic, there were still a lot of plusses. Old Bob at Herne Bay should actually stop criticising from afar and

failing to support his local team. Take the trouble to get out of your armchair, turn off the telly and enjoy what Hawks, myself and hundreds of others are

enjoying at Central Park.

• Like 3

On 7/17/2021 at 12:08 PM, East End Fan said:

hawks1975, I could not agree more.  I thought that the match against Redcar was a terrific entertainment and at one point I thought that the Kings just might

get a result.  While that turned out to be too optimistic, there were still a lot of plusses. Old Bob at Herne Bay should actually stop criticising from afar and

failing to support his local team. Take the trouble to get out of your armchair, turn off the telly and enjoy what Hawks, myself and hundreds of others are

SP,OT ON ! ....totally agree with all your post.....

Looks like I can now buy a ticket " on the gate" and might take a trip tomorrow to see a CL meeting at Central Park.  Let's see how I feel tomorrow. 

Its been a while ...... lets hope I don't jinx the meeting and invoke the curfew .

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Looks like I can now buy a ticket " on the gate" and might take a trip tomorrow to see a CL meeting at Central Park.  Let's see how I feel tomorrow. 

Its been a while ...... lets hope I don't jinx the meeting and invoke the curfew .

Wow....That's a result.

On 7/17/2021 at 12:08 PM, East End Fan said:

SP,OT ON ! ....totally agree with all your post.....

Give it a go Old Bob..if good racing is more important than the result ,i think you will enjoy it,,,,there is no more entertaining rider than Scotty at the moment

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 10:08 PM, old bob at herne bay said:

East End Fan clearly enjoys his speedway at Central Park

Sadly nothing I read on the Speedway Updates site about the meeting remotely tempts me back to watch a speedway meeting.  6 heats all restarted,  delay after delay with the new rule of "anticipating the start". Referee changing thier mind about exclusion decisions.

Capped off by 2 mismatched sides , with the home side never looking like snatching an unlikely victory.

Thats "Top Quality" racing  ?  Not for me. 

Well the mismatched sides comment aged well !

On 7/19/2021 at 6:42 PM, waco said:

Give it a go Old Bob..if good racing is more important than the result ,i think you will enjoy it,,,,there is no more entertaining rider than Scotty at the moment

According to the SS Kent are close to signing a "big hitter".....heat leader status and a lot of experience of British tracks???

Sounds like Scotty might have some support soon.

Anyone have any idea who it is?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, blueherb777 said:

According to the SS Kent are close to signing a "big hitter".....heat leader status and a lot of experience of British tracks???

Sounds like Scotty might have some support soon.

Anyone have any idea who it is?

Could it be Troy Batchelor???

17 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Could it be Troy Batchelor???

Doubt it as its says they are sorting out a work permit etc....Troy already rides here!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueherb777 said:

Doubt it as its says they are sorting out a work permit etc....Troy already rides here!

Fair enough. Air fares won't be cheap!

What would Batchelors champ average be? He has a 8.33 Prem average, if converted on 1.5 it would put him on the maximum 12 points. No chance of any team fitting him in on that.

3 minutes ago, flipper11 said:

What would Batchelors champ average be? He has a 8.33 Prem average, if converted on 1.5 it would put him on the maximum 12 points. No chance of any team fitting him in on that.

New averages from 1 August based on matches up to yesterday. Think Batch would now be around 7.5 converting to  11.25