Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

29 minutes ago, Lenny Lion said:

My understanding is that Poole have been accepted into the league & I know they have already made signings . There will only be one more team accepted so it is between Kent & Plymouth who will both pitch the the other 11 teams their business plan & intentions for stepping up to ensure that whichever club comes up is sustainable.

I also hear that one of the conditions of acceptance will be they have to also remain in the NDL.  

Why does there have to be 12 teams?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Lenny Lion said:

My understanding is that Poole have been accepted into the league & I know they have already made signings . There will only be one more team accepted so it is between Kent & Plymouth who will both pitch the the other 11 teams their business plan & intentions for stepping up to ensure that whichever club comes up is sustainable.

I also hear that one of the conditions of acceptance will be they have to also remain in the NDL.  

If so, that’s a disgrace.

If a club wants to move up that should be its choice and there should be no condition about retaining an NL side unless that condition is placed on all CL clubs.

21 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

I'm sure Kent and Plymouth will also run a NDL team.

And why won’t Poole? Surely they’re a bigger club and could do so?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DC2 said:

And why won’t Poole? Surely they’re a bigger club and could do so?

Lack of Stadium availability I presume. Weymouth have their meetings at Poole too.

Edited by Skidder1

Just now, Skidder1 said:

Lack of Stadium availability I presume.

Is it not available every Wednesday? How did they fit in the Buccaneers?

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Is it not available every Wednesday? How did they fit in the Buccaneers?

As I edited above Poole host Weymouth's meetings. 

5 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

As I edited above Poole host Weymouth's meetings. 

Weymouth aren’t a full time NL team though.

Surely 7 Wednesdays are available for an NL league side? 

• Like 3

Don't forget that Weymouth are only an MSDL side that run after the main Poole meetings so the number of Wednesdays would be available......beaten by seconds grrr

Edited by Sings4Speedway

1 minute ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Don't forget that Weymouth are only an MSDL side that run after the main Poole meetings so the number of Wednesdays would be available

Let's not forget the object of Poole going SGBC is to get back on a firm financial footing. Why would you look at starting something that although reasonably successful on track ( Buccaneers) last time was a financial disaster!! Poole Speedway don't own or lease Poole Stadium they merely rent it when required ( at a not inconsiderable rental either). Their only income is sponsorship advertising merchandise and admissions.

9 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Let's not forget the object of Poole going SGBC is to get back on a firm financial footing. Why would you look at starting something that although reasonably successful on track ( Buccaneers) last time was a financial disaster!! Poole Speedway don't own or lease Poole Stadium they merely rent it when required ( at a not inconsiderable rental either). Their only income is sponsorship advertising merchandise and admissions.

I don't debate the reasoning and in fact think its a very strange requirement any side stepping up from the NL must keep a side going in the lower tier but if stepping down from higher is ok. Its a double edged sword because the more teams in the NL the better but forcing teams to run two sides could easily be financial suicide and cost the existence of the clubs in the long run. 

That said Poole should be made to run a youth round next year after skipping out of their agreement this season.

• Like 2

Funny, I thought this was a Kent thread.  All I am reading about is Poole.  Must be very difficult for both Kent and Plymouth at present.

I am sure that Poole could not be denied a place in the Championship, but both Kent and Plymouth must wait for the decision  ( is it this week  ?)

So neither of those clubs can make any real plans about riders while all the others are getting on with the job.  Doesn't seem like a fair system to me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Funny, I thought this was a Kent thread.  All I am reading about is Poole.  Must be very difficult for both Kent and Plymouth at present.

I am sure that Poole could not be denied a place in the Championship, but both Kent and Plymouth must wait for the decision  ( is it this week  ?)

So neither of those clubs can make any real plans about riders while all the others are getting on with the job.  Doesn't seem like a fair system to me.

I thought this was a Championship section and yet Poole & Kent both have threads despite not being officially accepted. 

The setup is no different to Eastbourne & Brum last season, one side went about making signings with confidence whilst the other nervously waited and had to pick up some of the scraps.

In any case if it is only one place available Kent will have to do very well to stuff it up. The stadia, finances, fan base and recent record are all far superior to Plymouths and i would be staggered if the Kings are not accepted.

43 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I thought this was a Championship section and yet Poole & Kent both have threads despite not being officially accepted. 

The setup is no different to Eastbourne & Brum last season, one side went about making signings with confidence whilst the other nervously waited and had to pick up some of the scraps.

In any case if it is only one place available Kent will have to do very well to stuff it up. The stadia, finances, fan base and recent record are all far superior to Plymouths and i would be staggered if the Kings are not accepted.

Where has it been said there's only one place available? As for Kent and Plymouth running SGBC and NDL teams surely it's their choice not a condition! Or have I missed something??  As for the youth round i'm sure it would be well supported at Poole as long as the date doesn't subsequently clash with an away league fixture which would require the club's promotion and many track volunteers to be elsewhere.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Where has it been said there's only one place available? As for Kent and Plymouth running SGBC and NDL teams surely it's their choice not a condition!?

Taken from the above although i concede not a trusted source so wouldn't read too much into it