British Speedway Forum

Surely Kent and Plymouth would be mad to run two teams. It can’t be viable the only team that have ever continued to run two teams are BV and that’s because that was in the grant for the stadium I believe 

10 minutes ago, TurnTwo said:

Surely Kent and Plymouth would be mad to run two teams. It can’t be viable the only team that have ever continued to run two teams are BV and that’s because that was in the grant for the stadium I believe 

I believe Kent could sustain two teams as they have useful club sponsorship however the two bigger blockers would be the standard of the NL side as it would have to be assembled on the cheap (but with less team places perhaps riders will demand less monies) and will there be enough weeks available given the number of competitions there are at Championship level?

38 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I believe Kent could sustain two teams as they have useful club sponsorship however the two bigger blockers would be the standard of the NL side as it would have to be assembled on the cheap (but with less team places perhaps riders will demand less monies) and will there be enough weeks available given the number of competitions there are at Championship level?

Especially if both teams have decent runs in all the competitions.

Surely if the finances are in place no Team should be blocked from moving up to a bigger and better League.! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I thought this was a Championship section and yet Poole & Kent both have threads despite not being officially accepted. 

The setup is no different to Eastbourne & Brum last season, one side went about making signings with confidence whilst the other nervously waited and had to pick up some of the scraps.

In any case if it is only one place available Kent will have to do very well to stuff it up. The stadia, finances, fan base and recent record are all far superior to Plymouths and i would be staggered if the Kings are not accepted.

I started the Kent thread on here with a question mark.....asking IF Kent were accepted would they be at a disadvantage.

I will be shocked and would be the final straw for me,if Kent are not given go ahead.

• Like 3

The recent comments on this thread are a perfect example of the blind alleys one comment on social media can lead people down.

I have read the Speedway Star comments and Club comments on it and can't find anyone saying "having an NDL Team" is a requirement of Kent, Plymouth or Poole being allowed in to the CL.

I have found plenty of comment from Len Silver (who likes to run a meeting every week) saying he may consider running CL + NDL. 

I have found comment from Plymouth saying if they are not accepted in CL they will look to stay in NDL and one comment from their Promoter saying he would consider both.

Nothing in anything Poole says has mentioned NDL.

I can confirm that last year Brummies were not asked to run an NDL team and I can't find any reference to fact Eastbourne were?

As someone else has said, hard enough to move up, almost impossible to run 2 teams.

I have a hunch the writer of the comment that started this current tangent of debate this is talking out of his/her exhaust pipe and seeking to wind people up.

We will hopefully know on Friday night whether CL is 11 teams as now, or 12, or 13, or maybe 9 or 10?...or will there be a separate PL/CL by Friday night?

Who knows at this point??. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HGould said:

The recent comments on this thread are a perfect example of the blind alleys one comment on social media can lead people down.

I have read the Speedway Star comments and Club comments on it and can't find anyone saying "having an NDL Team" is a requirement of Kent, Plymouth or Poole being allowed in to the CL.

I have found plenty of comment from Len Silver (who likes to run a meeting every week) saying he may consider running CL + NDL. 

I have found comment from Plymouth saying if they are not accepted in CL they will look to stay in NDL and one comment from their Promoter saying he would consider both.

Nothing in anything Poole says has mentioned NDL.

I can confirm that last year Brummies were not asked to run an NDL team and I can't find any reference to fact Eastbourne were?

As someone else has said, hard enough to move up, almost impossible to run 2 teams.

I have a hunch the writer of the comment that started this current tangent of debate this is talking out of his/her exhaust pipe and seeking to wind people up.

We will hopefully know on Friday night whether CL is 11 teams as now, or 12, or 13, or maybe 9 or 10?...or will there be a separate PL/CL by Friday night?

Who knows at this point??. 

At no point did I say Birmingham/Eastbourne were requested to field a NDL side in 2019 because they still had a good sized NDL league without them because Leicester entered a team.

Poole will not be required to field a NDL side because they didn’t run one in 2019 so it has no effect.

But for Kent/Plymouth it will be a condition of acceptance because if they step up then it would likely lead to the collapse of the NDL league .

For the same reason Leicester are running an NDL side in 2020 to keep the momentum of youth progress coming through the ranks & to keep the league alive with only 1 team less then 2019 who sadly closed (Stoke).

Edited by Lenny Lion

9 minutes ago, Lenny Lion said:

At no point did I say Birmingham/Eastbourne were requested to field a NDL side in 2019 because they still had a good sized NDL league without them because Leicester entered a team.

Poole will not be required to field a NDL side because they didn’t run one in 2019 so it has no effect.

But for Kent/Plymouth it will be a condition of acceptance because if they step up then it would likely lead to the collapse of the NDL league .

For the same reason Leicester are running an NDL side in 2020 to keep the momentum of youth progress coming through the ranks & to keep the league alive with only 1 team less then 2019 who sadly closed (Stoke).

Well fingers crossed by the end of the week we will know if you are a well informed poster who has earnt some respect from others or just a nonsense talking (insert expletive here). I know what my opinion currently is but im happy for it to be changed.

• Like 2

They really must get this right and on Friday and not do any thing that would jeopardise the existence of the National league...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

"But for Kent/Plymouth it will be a condition of acceptance because if they step up then it would likely lead to the collapse of the NDL league ."

Them running NDL won't be a condition of acceptance at all, it will be based on a voluntary decision they have made to do so...IF they do, and since Len Silver has already indicated he will it is a purely voluntary decision on his part.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

My understanding is that Poole have been accepted into the league & I know they have already made signings . There will only be one more team accepted so it is between Kent & Plymouth who will both pitch the the other 11 teams their business plan & intentions for stepping up to ensure that whichever club comes up is sustainable.

I also hear that one of the conditions of acceptance will be they have to also remain in the NDL.  

So to be clear Kent/Plymouth are going to have to give a pitch that demonstrates a business plan and sustainability to the very people that have got us into this situation in the first place.

Oh the irony. :blink:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Len has always said, if he applies to go into a higher league he will want to keep a NL team.  So Kent will run a NL team along side a CL team whether it is compulsory or not won't make any difference.  His idea is he would like to see the riders progress with the club. 

Kent run every week so dates would not be a problem, if it does become a problem there might also be an option of running a couple of NL matches up the road at Iwade. 

Im sure Len & Chris have approached riders for the CL team already so I don't see getting a team together as a problem, I would be surprised if Kennett is not the 1st to be signed.

I think a lot will be revealed this Saturday at the end of season do.

Didn't Len Silver keep an NL team running every season while Rye House rode at CL level ? 

He's a great believer in bringing through the youth and some of them developing and moving into the Clubs team racing at a higher level.

It seems to work his riders stay loyal to him

Also promotes the team ethic which so many of us moan about where riders change teams every season

2 hours ago, flipper11 said:

Len has always said, if he applies to go into a higher league he will want to keep a NL team.  So Kent will run a NL team along side a CL team whether it is compulsory or not won't make any difference.  His idea is he would like to see the riders progress with the club. 

Kent run every week so dates would not be a problem, if it does become a problem there might also be an option of running a couple of NL matches up the road at Iwade. 

Im sure Len & Chris have approached riders for the CL team already so I don't see getting a team together as a problem, I would be surprised if Kennett is not the 1st to be signed.

I think a lot will be revealed this Saturday at the end of season do.

Running every week can cause problems, Wolves didn’t complete their fixtures because the spoons took ?? Monday’s so no spare dates for us and when the rains came they had to use Birmingham

10 hours ago, Red Flag said:

Running every week can cause problems, Wolves didn’t complete their fixtures because the spoons took ?? Monday’s so no spare dates for us and when the rains came they had to use Birmingham

Len is very lucky to have Iwade on his doorstep to ease any potential fixture congestion. Kent ran two SDL meetings there in 2018.