British Speedway Forum

5 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

I can't speak for Somerset but your remark about being similar to Eastbourne is utterly wrong. It couldn't be further from the truth.

You do not seem aware that the company which runs the speedway at Eastbourne is a tenant of the stadium landlords.

Eastbourne Speedway Ltd has run speedway at Arlington Stadium since the start of 2019. It has two directors, Ian Jordan and Les Fineing.

The fact is that Eastbourne Speedway pays a rent (four figure sum per meeting) to its landlord (Dugard family / Arlington Stadium Ltd).

Eastbourne Speedway is in exactly the same position as Poole in that respect. Eastbourne Speedway is a paying tenant.

Eastbourne Speedway gains NO money whatsoever from the catering facilities within the Stadium.

Those facilities are let by the stadium / landlords. Eastbourne Speedway Ltd gains no benefit whatsoever from the sales of drinks and food within the stadium.

The truth is that most speedway track are like Eastbourne - rent-paying tenants who get no benefit from the sale of food and beverages.

Eastbourne fans know all this because these issues have been raised and discussed with the current management quite a few times through fans' forums and Q and A sessions with Ian Jordan.

Apologies, I didn't realise. So if I've understood you correctly, the Dugards no longer have any involvement in the running of the speedway then?

How come a number of them got involved in the Glasgow fracas last season?

Edited by Skidder1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Apologies, I didn't realise. So if I've understood you correctly, the Dugards no longer have any involvement in the running of the speedway then?

How come a number of them got involved in the Glasgow fracas last season?

You are quite right, the Dugards do not run the speedway any more. The speedway is run by Eastbourne Speedway Ltd with Ian Jordan and Les Fineing as its directors/shareholders.

Ownership of Arlington Stadium remains with the Dugard family.

Martin Dugard and Jon Cook are the leaseholders of the stadium but do not run the speedway – the ownership of the facility rests with the Dugard family.

Eastbourne Speedway Ltd pay a rent to use the stadium, like most clubs do.

On 4/16/2020 at 10:47 AM, *JJ said:

Kent aren't the only ones: with parking, entry and a programme, it cost about £25 for Somerset, no concessions there either!

Plus travelling expenses too - even for home fans. The main reason I stopped attending :( 

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

Plus travelling expenses too - even for home fans. The main reason I stopped attending :( 

Very interesting point.  My impression is that at Kent, most fans live fairly local. I am one of those furthest away, a half hour drive.

Do Somerset and others charge for car park ? It is free at Central Park and very large.  I have always been sure that the attendances

are affected by the 8.30 curfew and I'd love to see it lifted even though it happens to suit me personally as I am back home just

after 9 even on a bad day.

18 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Very interesting point.  My impression is that at Kent, most fans live fairly local. I am one of those furthest away, a half hour drive.

Do Somerset and others charge for car park ? It is free at Central Park and very large.  I have always been sure that the attendances

are affected by the 8.30 curfew and I'd love to see it lifted even though it happens to suit me personally as I am back home just

They certainly do: and it's not even a car park, just a grass field!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, East End Fan said:

My drive is about 40-45 minutes.I would of thought there was many a lot further?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, blueherb777 said:

My drive is about 40-45 minutes.I would of thought there was many a lot further?

It would be interesting to have a bit of a survey and find out where people travel from.  Of course I had overlooked the fact that there is

likely to be a fair number from Canterbury, old Crusader fans. Not sure how far that is from Sittingbourne. Maybe one hour ?

I am an ex-Hammer fan and live close to Dartford Tunnel, moving out from the East End many years ago.

I have entered the comp to name the Clubs new mascot. Think i have come up with a cracker.

On 4/21/2020 at 4:31 PM, craigACE said:

I have entered the comp to name the Clubs new mascot. Think i have come up with a cracker.

Well ? Are you going to tell us what it is ?

• Like 1

Ryvita Royals? Kent 'Tuc' Key Royals. Ritz Royals

Edited by Gambo
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Well ? Are you going to tell us what it is ?

KingRoy the Lion.  As in Kings and Roy(als). I should win with that suggestion.

On 4/18/2020 at 11:26 AM, blueherb777 said:

I'm about an hour away in sunny Surrey,  although most weeks i jump on the train straight from work in south London. I might have to revise the latter, if and when speedway resumes.

On 4/17/2020 at 3:09 PM, East End Fan said:

My journey is upto an hour each way depending on traffic, and know many more who travel further.

I d be surprised if even 10 percent of our crowds hail from the swale area.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 8:41 AM, teaboy279 said:

My journey is upto an hour each way depending on traffic, and know many more who travel further.

I d be surprised if even 10 percent of our crowds hail from the swale area.

Well, Teaboy, I am aware that you have been a Kent follower far far longer than I have as I've only made Kent my team since we lost Lakeside, and, even now 

I regard myself as a "Hammer" slowly becoming a "King".  So you would have better knowledge than me about where people come from.  Very surprised at

the low percentage of local people you mention.  Do you think, then, that most Kent followers come from the defunct tracks at Canterbury and Crayford ?

34 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Well, Teaboy, I am aware that you have been a Kent follower far far longer than I have as I've only made Kent my team since we lost Lakeside, and, even now 

I regard myself as a "Hammer" slowly becoming a "King".  So you would have better knowledge than me about where people come from.  Very surprised at

the low percentage of local people you mention.  Do you think, then, that most Kent followers come from the defunct tracks at Canterbury and Crayford ?

They probably come from numerous defunct south east tracks. I know severel ex Wimbledon fans, myself included, that are regulars at Central Park.