Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

Wonder if NL can start sooner as classed grass roots and not Elite? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

The relevant date appears to be 17th May

Yes, I picked that up, from TV myself.  But still not a certainty. But it is really good news whatever the date. We ARE going to see some action

this year after all.  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, HGould said:

Wonder if NL can start sooner as classed grass roots and not Elite? 

I don’t know how professional speedway can be classed as ‘elite’ given that the sport received nothing from the government whilst other sports that ARE elite did.

Speedway  appears to be classed as semi professional so should be fighting their corner to start earlier with crowds. 

Edited by stevebrum
Spelling
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, stevebrum said:

I don’t know how professional speedway can be classed as ‘elite’ given that the sport received nothing from the government whilst other sports that ARE elite did.

Speedway  appears to be classed as semi professional so should be fighting their corner to start earlier with crowds. 

Wasn't that down to fact Speedway was an "Elite Summer Sport' and those who got offered a grant were classed as 'Winter'?..

Either way, I think the fact it wasn't "free money" was possibly the reason it wasn't pursued. Paying it back might have dissuaded them from going down that particular avenue..

Ironically, a year out for some tracks may have actually been beneficial given we hear so many "lose money" regularly.. 

And that year out has also, for me, put the standard to where it should have been in relation to its crowd levels a good many years ago. Which must reduce costs going forward..

A 'reset' was long, long, overdue, so maybe this season, with the TV money to add in also, could be a start of something more positive for the sport in the UK?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mikebv said:

Wasn't that down to fact Speedway was an "Elite Summer Sport' and those who got offered a grant were classed as 'Winter'?..

Either way, I think the fact it wasn't "free money" was possibly the reason it wasn't pursued. Paying it back might have dissuaded them from going down that particular avenue..

Ironically, a year out for some tracks may have actually been beneficial given we hear so many "lose money" regularly.. 

And that year out has also, for me, put the standard to where it should have been in relation to its crowd levels a good many years ago. Which must reduce costs going forward..

A 'reset' was long, long, overdue, so maybe this season, with the TV money to add in also, could be a start of something more positive for the sport in the UK?

I’m not sure what it was based in, but I know the bosses were disappointed at being ignored by the government when grants were handed out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stevebrum said:

I’m not sure what it was based in, but I know the bosses were disappointed at being ignored by the government when grants were handed out. 

What grants were they ?  Did some sports receive government money ? I have seen nothing to indicate that. Businesses outside of sport HAVE had

grants, some lucky, some not so.  I don't know how the assessments for eligibility are made.  I suppose there are some Speedways that have

ongoing costs whether they run meetings or not. Staff payments etc....are these covered by the furlough scheme ? Other clubs would have a

"no run....no costs" situation so hardly likely to qualify for grants.  Very complex situation.  No One Size Fits All.  Can anyone throw more light on this subject ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, East End Fan said:

What grants were they ?  Did some sports receive government money ? I have seen nothing to indicate that. Businesses outside of sport HAVE had

grants, some lucky, some not so.  I don't know how the assessments for eligibility are made.  I suppose there are some Speedways that have

ongoing costs whether they run meetings or not. Staff payments etc....are these covered by the furlough scheme ? Other clubs would have a

"no run....no costs" situation so hardly likely to qualify for grants.  Very complex situation.  No One Size Fits All.  Can anyone throw more light on this subject ?

I can’t remember the total amount but I know certain sports received money, the bigger amounts to the usual suspects.

edithttps://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-announces-300-million-sport-winter-survival-package-to-help-spectator-sports-in-england

 

Edited by stevebrum
Added quote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Press release coming up at 6pm on the Kent site regarding team news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, screm said:

Press release coming up at 6pm on the Kent site regarding team news.

Are they not already confirmed???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stevebrum said:

I can’t remember the total amount but I know certain sports received money, the bigger amounts to the usual suspects.

edithttps://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-announces-300-million-sport-winter-survival-package-to-help-spectator-sports-in-england

 

The clue is in 'winter survival'!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 6:06 PM, Dandelion said:

Are they not already confirmed???

Kent web site naming team. No surprises and it looks a team that will provide plenty of excitement and will do better, I think, than their

"on paper" form would suggest.  A lot depends on just how fit Paul Hurry. ( a favourite of mine) can get.  I hear that the is in training with Scott

Nichols.  Two very good reserves in Ben Morley and Danny Gilkes. They could swing matches at home.  Don't know much about Cameron Heeps

or Paul Starke and those two are the vital key to winning things.  But, so far as I am concerned, the fact of seeing action is way more important

than winning things.  So save my seat for the opener !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 1:31 PM, East End Fan said:

Where did that info come from ? I've seen nothing about it.  Must say that when Paul Hurry rode for Arena he was one of my favourites

He was very unlucky to suffer some serious injuries, but when fit, he was a great racer who never gave up.

Hope it works out for Paul, I can still recall him making his debut as a 16 year old for Arena Essex.

Shrewd move by Len who may attract some ex Hammers fans to attend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, marko said:

Hope it works out for Paul, I can still recall him making his debut as a 16 year old for Arena Essex.

Shrewd move by Len who may attract some ex Hammers fans to attend?

Never thought of that aspect, but you may be right.  But Paul and his father have been icons of GrassTrack in. Kent for dozens of years.

He wa always very popular at Arena, a real racer.  I have my fingers crossed for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Kent web site naming team. No surprises and it looks a team that will provide plenty of excitement and will do better, I think, than their

"on paper" form would suggest.  A lot depends on just how fit Paul Hurry. ( a favourite of mine) can get.  I hear that the is in training with Scott

Nichols.  Two very good reserves in Ben Morley and Danny Gilkes. They could swing matches at home.  Don't know much about Cameron Heeps

or Paul Starke and those two are the vital key to winning things.  But, so far as I am concerned, the fact of seeing action is way more important

than winning things.  So save my seat for the opener !

Yes I am aware the team was announced on the website, but that was weeks ago :blink: It's a very nice looking side and I look forward to them visiting Brough Park. I may even try and get down to Central Park this season as it's a track I've never got to visit yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Yes I am aware the team was announced on the website, but that was weeks ago :blink: It's a very nice looking side and I look forward to them visiting Brough Park. I may even try and get down to Central Park this season as it's a track I've never got to visit yet.

I'm sure you will be made very welcome.  Kent folk are a friendly bunch and viewing in our big grandstand is second to none with good facilities enclosed.  It is

one of the reasons that, when Arena closed, I have become a Central Park regular.  For me, a comfortable seat during racing is a "must" nowadays. The only thing that

bothers me ( not that much) is the 6.30 start time and 8.30 curfew, but at least I get home at an acceptable time.  But I do sometimes arrive very close to start time and

a couple of times I have missed the 1st race.  No ones fault but my own, of course.  Still annoying though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy