British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, AndyO said:

Announcement on Twitter that Tom Bacon has retired.. anyone know if this is confirmed?

I have always put everything in to my racing and it has been the main focus in my life for several years now making this one of the most difficult decisions I’ve ever had to make but I have decided to retire from racing speedway. 
It was my dream to become a speedway rider from an early age when I was just a fan but only came in to the sport late getting my first ride in the national league at the age of 22. Since then I’ve been able to live my dream, racing professionally with and against my heroes and in front of fans around the country. Unfortunately I’ve also experienced some very nasty injuries including a reoccurring shoulder injury and most recently 2 broken backs. Having to recover from these injuries and then missing time with the pandemic has made coming back to racing very difficult and I am struggling with the mental aspect of it all. I have therefore made the very difficult decision to walk away. I have always given everything to my racing and In order to race speedway at a high level you need to be 100% committed and able to put your neck on the line every night no matter what and for me the want to do that is no longer there. There are so many people I want to thank that have supported me over the years including all my sponsors, the supporters and management at every single club ive ridden for, the guys at AMSA for teaching me how to ride a bike, Paula and Matt Clarke for their continuous support, Steve Williams for his help with all the injuries and Brian Clarke for his dedication mechanicing for me but most importantly thank you to my family who have been by my side every step of the way. 
It’s been fun! Tom

• Thanks 2

Well its mentioned on the BSF Wolves page, and also noted on the Ippo thread. Seems Tom has had enough of being injured.  

Kent now down to 5 riders.  No Heeps , no Bacon. 

All the very best for the future Tom. Been a pleasure knowing and watching your progress.  Achieving competitive rides across all 3 leagues is something many dream of. Sadly injuries have taken thier toll and potentially even higher heights. Enjoy your retirement and thanks for the memories.  I shall miss Bacon rolls from the updates. 

• Like 1

Hearing that Kent have postponed their next two meetings.

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

When i asked on Tuesday, the Leicester match was definitely on. I don't blame them for cancelling. The margins are too fine to take a guaranteed loss.

I am devastated that the two meetings have been cancelled. My weekly dose of racing keeps me going. But I truly understand in these weird times.

A double whammy of reductions due to the Covid restrictions then added to by and England match on TV makes heavy losses a certainty.I will try to

get to Eastbourne on Saturday to see the Royals.  I have not been there this year so it will make a change.

20 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

I am devastated that the two meetings have been cancelled. My weekly dose of racing keeps me going. But I truly understand in these weird times.

A double whammy of reductions due to the Covid restrictions then added to by and England match on TV makes heavy losses a certainty.I will try to

get to Eastbourne on Saturday to see the Royals.  I have not been there this year so it will make a change.

Fingers crossed the weather behaves on Saturday.

7 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Get your ticket today, if I was you.

16 hours ago, screm said:

How long before the 'season' is suspended.....

16 hours ago, screm said:

That's annoying. I was going to go to the Poole match.

I see that the reason given is because England are playing football on those nights which, alongside the Covid restrictions, will mean a low attendance.

That makes no sense. If they can't even meet the restricted figure because the football is on then Covid restrictions can't have anything to do with it.

13 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I see that the reason given is because England are playing football on those nights which, alongside the Covid restrictions, will mean a low attendance.

That makes no sense. If they can't even meet the restricted figure because the football is on then Covid restrictions can't have anything to do with it.

Fixtures have been out a while, i feel a more accurate translation is "we haven't sold out yet even with the restrictions in place and now going up against the football we are shi77ing bricks"

Can't blame them in any way, knowing that you are likely to make a loss is just against any sensible way to run business and will likely prove the right decision in the long term.

29 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I think there is more to this than just the football,covid!

Like....the weather coming up,tannoy problems (continued problem for a while now),getting injured rider back and get another signing in...IMHO? :D:t::rolleyes:

p . s.....also these fixtures are now re-arranged hopefully when more can go!

Edited by blueherb777