British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Coraldon

Memories of Cleveland Park speedway

On the Bears website,  says that Frank Aufret will be giving a talk on Speedway and cycle speedway,  at Middlesbrough Bowling Club, Cornfield Road, on Thursday 21st November at 7.30pm, tickets £2, come along and enjoy yourselves:cheers:.

Edited by Coraldon
mistake in heading
  • Like 1

Always enjoyed Thursday nights at Cleveland Park. Martin Dixon, Mark Fiora, Gary Havelock, Steve Wilcock, Mark Courtney, Jim Burdfield( now there's a name from the dark and distant ), Tom Leadbitter, Geoff Pusey to name but a few , and Frankie Aufrett of course .

Worth a visit I reckon, if I can't go, I'll send my right hand man.

I'll hopefully be there, just round the corner for me.

Should be interesting hearing about Cycle Speedway and also Frank's " confrontations" with Jack Millen

1 hour ago, parkendlass said:

Always enjoyed Thursday nights at Cleveland Park. Martin Dixon, Mark Fiora, Gary Havelock, Steve Wilcock, Mark Courtney, Jim Burdfield( now there's a name from the dark and distant ), Tom Leadbitter, Geoff Pusey to name but a few , and Frankie Aufrett of course .

Worth a visit I reckon, if I can't go, I'll send my right hand man.

Daz Sumner.

Way back in 1964, my late father drove me to Cleveland Park and dropped me off for my first ever away match for the Newcastle Diamonds which we

won and later on he returned from the local pub to take me home..

I think that speedway was closed the next year at Cleveland Park and the licence was transferred to Halifax and it wasn't until we ourselves returned

to the New National  League in 1975 under Ian Thomas that I went down the A19 again to return to Cleveland Park.

Update on this, This is a cycling club meeting, and Frank is the guest speaker, entry is £2 at the door.

Thanks for the memories, can only say I followed MBRO/TEESSIDE team from 1974, up till the stadium burnt down in 96, then again from 2006 when we reopened.

4 hours ago, Coraldon said:

Thanks for the memories, can only say I followed MBRO/TEESSIDE team from 1974, up till the stadium burnt down in 96, then again from 2006 when we reopened.

Stadium didn't burn down in 96 it got sold!

12 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

Stadium didn't burn down in 96 it got sold!

meant to say 85, when main stand was burnt down.

5 hours ago, Coraldon said:

meant to say 85, when main stand was burnt down.

Sorry, don't want to be pedantic, but the grandstand burnt down in 86.

3 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Certainly was a sad day to watch on the north east news the aftermath of the fire . Everyone I knew had their regular seats in that grandstand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

• Like 1