British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bavarian

East Coast USA

A Pole and Briton involved in creating new racing series in the US. "There is a vision, possibility and great people" (interview)

Speedway on the East Coast ran on only one track - Champion Speedway in Owego, New York State. Also The Action Park in Gr
eene was reactivated in the 2019 season. A completely new place will join this group - Oakland Valley Speedway in Cuddebackville. Richard Thrift and Pole Voytek Dojka are involved to this project.

Mateusz Kozanecki (WP SportoweFakty): At the beginning please tell something about yourself.

Richard Thrift (Oakland Valley Speedway promoter): My dad was a speedway rider as a youth, and he retired early to take care of his family. I was brought up going to and supporting the Coventry Bees speedway team, which was also my grandmother's favourite team. I got involved in cycle speedway with the Leicester Monarchs and I was a race official for all forms of autosport and motorsports in the UK. I love speedway and want the sport to grow as big as flat track racing and I believe a fresh approach is needed to make that happen.

Voytek Dojka (Oakland Valley Speedway promoter): I know speedway from Poland, when I was a little kid my dad and uncles would put me right at the start line of the Unia Tarnow stadium and I still remember all the track dust in my teeth, the incredible roar of speedway engines, and the smell of burning methanol like it was yesterday. Several years ago I got involved with American flat track racing and pretty much by accident found out about speedway on the East Coast, which I did not know existed. After spending most of the season in the pits working as a mechanic for Casey Donholt.

Where did the idea to create your own racing series come from?

Richard Thrift: We noticed that the riders on the East Coast had a real interest in European style competition and in particular the Speedway Grand Prix. I proposed the Kevin Thrift Memorial Trophy which was in honour of his late father, which was originally meant to be a one off SGP style event. The riders loved the competition and it was there that we saw the potential for, and the closest to what riders and fans described as "real speedway" on the east coast.

Is it a new beginning of speedway history?

We are making history with Oakland Valley Speedway in Cuddebackville New York which has never had a motorcycle speedway event before! So we are cutting the ribbon for this meeting and opening doors to new crowds and the possibility to host more events at the venue. We are hoping to do a test and a full event at Wachusett Valley Riders Club in Winchendon, Massachusetts as well as a few other tracks which we are not ready to disclose.

What does the organization of the competition look like?

Richard Thrift: So, here is a secret revealed, the Mitas Golden Tire Trophy is a nod to British Speedway, but this is only a one day event. Division 1 will have each rider race at least 4 times and have two semis and a final. Next season we will host a couple of competitions in the year, including the Kevin Thrift Memorial Trophy among others and of course the Mitas Golden Tire Trophy. As there are currently no teams in US racing, we are running as close to the SGP format as we can when we organize and do an event.

There will be three tracks in the East. Is it enough?

Richard Thrift: Honestly, the more venues that are open to and able to host speedway, the more chances the sport has of growing. There will be more than three venues, possibly 5 or 6. A large number of tracks can host speedway on the east coast, all it takes is communication, the right approach and organization.

What are your plans for the next few months?

Richard Thrift: Our plans are to sit down and evaluate what we have achieved, what we failed at, what we need to do, and what we can do, as well as what we as a team want to do. I know that we all have varying ideas, but we do want to stay united and help make speedway as popular as other major sports in the USA. We also want the riders to give us input and let us know what they want, so we can really build a strong series in the future. Keep up-to-date by following facebook.com/outlawspeedwayusa and outlawspeedwayusa.tumblr.com.

Voytek Dojka: Richard and I work very closely on every aspect of our operation, we discuss strategy together and divide the work among ourselves. In addition to the outside help and sponsorship we received so far, for which we are very grateful, we are spending a lot of time and our own money to make this a success. There is a vision, possibility and great people. First competition 2nd November 2019.

Oakland Valley Speedway, Cuddebackville, New York State
November 2, 2019
From Voytek Dojka

Division I:
1. Brian HOLLENBECK - 11+3+3 (3,3,3,2) - 1st in the final
2. Johnny OAKDEN - 6+2+2 (2,1,3,0) - 2nd in the final
3. Dave OAKDEN - 3+1+1 (1,1,1,0) - 3rd in the final
4. Spencer PORTARARO - 10+3+F (3,2,2,3) - DNF in the final
5. Jerry BEAUFORD - 6+2 (0,3,2,1)
6. Dalton OAKDEN - 3+1 (1,0,0,2)
7. Pat CLIFF - 7+0 (2,2,3,0)
8. Mason HIGLEY - 2+0 (0,0,1,1)

Heats:
1. Hollenbeck, Cliff, Dav. Oakden, Beauford
2. Portararo, J. Oakden, Dal. Oakden, Higley
3. Hollenbeck, Portararo, Dav. Oakden, Dal. Oakden
4. Beauford, Cliff, J. Oakden, Higley
5. Hollenbeck, Portararo, Dav. Oakden, Dal. Oakden
6. J. Oakden, Beauford, Higley, Dav. Oakden
7. Cliff, Dal. Oakden, Higley, J. Oakden
8. Portararo, Hollenbeck, Beauford, Cliff
Semi 1. Portararo, J. Oakden, Dav. Oakden, Cliff
Semi 2. Hollenbeck, Beauford, Dal. Oakden, Higley
Final. Hollenbeck, J. Oakden, Dav. Oakden, Portararo (dnf)

4 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

What level are the riders at?

These riders all compete at Champion (Owego) along with the top three East Coast riders of recent years: Casey Donholt, Mikey Buman and Adam Mittl. Donholt would be ok in the Championship, and the other two NL heatleaders (Buman has ridden in the UK on a dream team tour).

Hollenbeck and Portararo would probably be NL second strings.

PS How did Dave Oakden get in the final?

Edited by arnieg
  • Thanks 1