British Speedway Forum
hyderd

Just a thought

Nothing wrong with bikes, it's the tracks,,, those ssme bikes will be good on good tracks and poor on poor tracks, whatever country they are in. You are more likely to get better close racing on tracks that have multi lines into corners and on tracks that you don't have to scub all your speed off going into bends.  Flowing race tracks most of the time offer better racing in most motor sports. 

• Like 2

3 tracks come to mind where you can see great racing week in and out,  redcar, Somerset and Glasgow.  So it shows put time into tracks you got what the paying public want??????

8 hours ago, pitstop84 said:

3 tracks come to mind where you can see great racing week in and out,  redcar, Somerset and Glasgow.  So it shows put time into tracks you got what the paying public want??????

not been to NSS yet then :rofl:

11 hours ago, mikebv said:

It's not so much the bikes are too fast, for me, it's more the tracks are not designed to handle their speed..

The NSS proves time and time again that fast bikes on that track can deliver awesome entertainment...

As does Poland, Sweden and the GP'S, SEC, SON etc..

High speed and great, close racing is the 'Holy Grail' for Speedway. It's just not delivered sadly over here at too many places.

100% spot on with points 2 to 6. 

Can't see too many of them ever getting overcome though to be honest, given how far away the Sport over here actually is from being able to correct each point you make..

The new Belle Vue is unique, it that it was built for the modern day speedway bike,  and will usually deliver great racing.  Unfortunately the majority of the remaining tracks are not suited to these high revving machines.    Years back the bikes had more torque at low speeds, giving the rider better control.  Now the bikes are high revving speed machines,   as soon as riders cut the revs they lose all the power, and this results in many processional races...   Looking back to the Peter Collins and Michael Lee era,  there were some titanic battles,  equally as good as anything today.  Back then the rider was  much more important than the machine was.   So thinking along them lines,  I'm sure these highly tuned machines  add far too much costs that the sport cant afford,   without adding any significant extra to the sport.  When you think along the lines of the sport's retainability,  these machines are slowly but surely killing it.....

Rather than find ways of meeting these costs,   why don't we think of ways of reducing them..... 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2019 at 4:20 PM, DC2 said:

But if it’s Colts v Sprockets, as amateurs, over 6 or 8 heats why would there be much extra expense, other than petrol in the tractor?

On 11/5/2019 at 4:26 PM, mikebv said:

I would imagine even 'amateur' racing would have 'fixed costs' eg insurance and medical cover..

Would the ref cost more too?

"Pay to ride" like so many other Motorsports do at entry level would work I would think and maybe persuade more clubs to run such events?

Even in the current MSDL setup there are expenses and more paid to riders and the suggestions here are to get NL level riders to turn up and race for nothing / a can of fuel sadly its dream on. Development league riders break their own banks repeatedly due to the love of riding and the outside chance that they might make the grade and land a league spot. 

Many also do it because there is no fee to ride and it is free laps (less the initial setup fees, bike fuel, oil, engine wear& tear, diesel, van running costs and time off work). If it was pay to ride with a big risk of the event getting cancelled the numbers would be non existent. 

The refs deem 22 heats a double header and require double the fees hence only 1 x 6 heat 2nd halves can be run and even then they are often not overseen to the same standards as expected in a main match.

16 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Even in the current MSDL setup there are expenses and more paid to riders and the suggestions here are to get NL level riders to turn up and race for nothing / a can of fuel sadly its dream on. Development league riders break their own banks repeatedly due to the love of riding and the outside chance that they might make the grade and land a league spot. 

Many also do it because there is no fee to ride and it is free laps (less the initial setup fees, bike fuel, oil, engine wear& tear, diesel, van running costs and time off work). If it was pay to ride with a big risk of the event getting cancelled the numbers would be non existent. 

The refs deem 22 heats a double header and require double the fees hence only 1 x 6 heat 2nd halves can be run and even then they are often not overseen to the same standards as expected in a main match.

I wasn’t proposing pay to ride.

And I assumed PL clubs would cover some expenses of the NL riders, pay an appearance fee, arrange sponsorship and help them with machinery and advice.

It’s clear that some 15 year old NL riders are very promising and one would have thought that PL clubs would be delighted to take Palin and the Thompson twins under their wing, just as they would have snapped up Woffinden, Ward and Lambert.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 11:12 PM, Baldyman said:

Nothing wrong with bikes, it's the tracks,,, those ssme bikes will be good on good tracks and poor on poor tracks, whatever country they are in. You are more likely to get better close racing on tracks that have multi lines into corners and on tracks that you don't have to scub all your speed off going into bends.  Flowing race tracks most of the time offer better racing in most motor sports. 

I have to say I disagree. The bikes are too fast and difficult to handle.                                              

If you watch any UK speedway meeting the vast amount of the lines are mid to outside track manly I would suggest because the Moden day rocket ships are to hard to handle to keep them on the inside run. Even in polish and Swedish meetings I've seen on the TV the same is true and apart from the Wroclaw GP again the racing lines drift out centre to outside most of the Grand prix and speedway of nations were not a great example of speedway racing. Then you factor into how much these things cost to run then it's clear the bikes are a major issue all be not the only one. 

5 hours ago, Spl77 said:

I have to say I disagree. The bikes are too fast and difficult to handle.                                              

If you watch any UK speedway meeting the vast amount of the lines are mid to outside track manly I would suggest because the Moden day rocket ships are to hard to handle to keep them on the inside run. Even in polish and Swedish meetings I've seen on the TV the same is true and apart from the Wroclaw GP again the racing lines drift out centre to outside most of the Grand prix and speedway of nations were not a great example of speedway racing. Then you factor into how much these things cost to run then it's clear the bikes are a major issue all be not the only one. 

I would like to see a poll done of older riders re bikes of today compared to years back ...

16 hours ago, DC2 said:

I wasn’t proposing pay to ride.

And I assumed PL clubs would cover some expenses of the NL riders, pay an appearance fee, arrange sponsorship and help them with machinery and advice.

It’s clear that some 15 year old NL riders are very promising and one would have thought that PL clubs would be delighted to take Palin and the Thompson twins under their wing, just as they would have snapped up Woffinden, Ward and Lambert.

The sentiment is certainly right and it runs throughout the sport. Ive lost count of times that NL clubs have come out and stated that there are not any suitable riders around to fill a reserve berth, these teams are generally ones who do nothing to assist with future rider development or offer any chances to emerging riders. Fortunately for the Thompsons they have Leicester who will move into any league to back them and Palin has good connections with both Scunthorpe & Belle Vue but there will always be others who fall through the cracks as they are in bigger need of guidance and mental assistance than bike ability.