British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
teaboy279

2020 teams

So how many teams realistically can we expect.

Kent,IOW,Mildenhall all definite I assume. 

Get the impression Leicester may be back to give the Thompsen twins another season.

Dont see any reason for Colts not being in there, thier crowds are good enough to make it viable.

CVS has kept quiet on Cradley with the other two promoters stating they arent carrying on, so  potential for them to come to tapes.

I think there 2 clear rumours about Rye house, one that they are coming back in the NL, (the other being it comes back as a buster track in the prem) so another possible.

Think Lee Kilby indicated the Sprockets interest has cooled.

Will any of the other higher league teams enter a side to bring on thier own riders.

If buxton could viably come back it could boost the numbers, be nice if one of the Scottish clubs had a NL team to give young Scots a route through.

• Like 1

If Buxton want to ride Sunday should not have to worry about competing with Sheffield. Possibly a few Stoke fans may fancy going to Buxton. Seems a bit more viable for them compared to previous season.

• Like 2

Can’t see Leicester carrying on? The crowds were very low the few times I went there but they were against teams that you’d expect a small crowd 

Workington I think will enter a team 

How about the NL meetings taking place with the PL and CL meetings?

So, for example, before the PL match between Belle Vue and Swindon there’s an NL match of Colts v Sprockets.

The NL teams could comprise just four riders each in eight heats.

It might be perceived as better value for money too, depending on the price, give clubs an incentive to crack on and complete both meetings within two hours, and give the NL riders a chance to meet the professional riders and get advice.

Belle Vue, Isle of Wight and Mildenhall would seem to be definites.

Not sure about Kent.  The CVS rumours of moving up to Premiership turned out to be BS, but the Championship option seems a lot more viable.   Could Kent get enough dates in their planning permission to run a full season of both Championship & NL?  I'm not sure.   

Plymouth are supposedly looking at Championship, but I can see them staying NL.    I don't see Championship being financially viable for them, and they'd have to be voted into the Championship.   Would the likes of Edinburgh, Glasgow, Berwick, Newcastle, Redcar, Scunthorpe want such a southern outpost voted into their league?   

Leicester sound unlikely to stay in the NL.  But what a terrible situation where the reigning league champions and cup winners don't compete the following season.  What was the point in developing the Thompson twins just to crap on them the following year?  Shameful if Leicester pull out, but I think they will.

Cradley also sounds unlikely.  Patchett is going (some would say no big loss to the sport) and Pearson is busy making money selling his cloned programmes where you can read the exact same programme column at opposite ends of the country in any week.  But surely there's enough support to keep Cradley going?  Is there a businessman fan or two who could join CVS and Will Pottinger to keep them going?

Is the time right for Buxton to return?    Sunday afternoons are free now that Sheffield are moving up.   And with Stoke closing, surely there are some extra fans to be picked up?   Speedway needs Buxton.  It shouldn't be stood idle, and the BSPA should be moving heaven and earth to reopen it.

Rye House is another possible.  The new owners are tarting the place up and surely they need it to be used?   Again the BSPA should be making overtures to them to get involved.

1 minute ago, PotteringAround said:

Not sure about Kent.  The CVS rumours of moving up to Premiership turned out to be BS, but the Championship option seems a lot more viable.   Could Kent get enough dates in their planning permission to run a full season of both Championship & NL?  I'm not sure.   

Plymouth are supposedly looking at Championship, but I can see them staying NL.    I don't see Championship being financially viable for them, and they'd have to be voted into the Championship.   Would the likes of Edinburgh, Glasgow, Berwick, Newcastle, Redcar, Scunthorpe want such a southern outpost voted into their league?   

Leicester sound unlikely to stay in the NL.  But what a terrible situation where the reigning league champions and cup winners don't compete the following season.  What was the point in developing the Thompson twins just to crap on them the following year?  Shameful if Leicester pull out, but I think they will.

Cradley also sounds unlikely.  Patchett is going (some would say no big loss to the sport) and Pearson is busy making money selling his cloned programmes where you can read the exact same programme column at opposite ends of the country in any week.  But surely there's enough support to keep Cradley going?  Is there a businessman fan or two who could join CVS and Will Pottinger to keep them going?

Is the time right for Buxton to return?    Sunday afternoons are free now that Sheffield are moving up.   And with Stoke closing, surely there are some extra fans to be picked up?   Speedway needs Buxton.  It shouldn't be stood idle, and the BSPA should be moving heaven and earth to reopen it.

Rye House is another possible.  The new owners are tarting the place up and surely they need it to be used?   Again the BSPA should be making overtures to them to get involved.

Eastbourne won the league and cup and didn’t run national league the next year..

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

That must be the hope, coupled with possibly fewer teams in the top league CVS may like Cradley to fill the gaps (assuming it helps with rent or what have you)?  In an ideal world the supporters trust would take a role although I'm sure that depends on many factors/costs.  CVS still being around is the only thing we have to indicate any future interest, Will I believe has a full time job outside of speedway and is busy with Eastbourne so understandably this limits the time he can dedicate to Cradley.  New faces and investment are definitely required.

I'm sure identical programme columns have been around for many years haven't they?  

Buxton themselves haven’t made noises about rejoining the league, but you would’ve thought now is as good of a chance as any with Sheffield moving away from Sunday’s coinciding with Stoke closing. There’s opportunities for fans there to make Buxton their summer speedway fix before finding an alternative. But I still don’t see it, I think the repeated loss making and unjust criticism has taken its toll on the Moss family. 

4 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Kent confirmed at final meeting that they will run NL regardless and hope to add a championship side to it. 

Speaking to Leicester officials and sponsor during the Play Off trophy presentation, I got the distinct impression they are hoping to be back.

4 hours ago, DC2 said:

The NL teams could comprise just four riders each in eight heats.

It might be perceived as better value for money too, depending on the price, give clubs an incentive to crack on and complete both meetings within two hours, and give the NL riders a chance to meet the professional riders and get advice.

No offence but running a 4 rider NL to accommodate the upper leagues is nonsense. Especially when you have stand alone clubs.

• Like 2

NDL motto should be "it aint over til the fat lady sings".

Can be a good product with 8 Teams and no certainty that Kent and Plymouth will be in CL or won't run CL and NDL as both said they may do and if Colts and Cubs return with Mildenhall and IOW  only needs Buston/Stoke and one other rumoured collaboration between Scunny/Sheffield and you have 8 sides

3 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

No offence but running a 4 rider NL to accommodate the upper leagues is nonsense. Especially when you have stand alone clubs.

Well, it was just a suggestion because clubs seem to be leaving the NL, and it’s important that young riders have somewhere to start.

If it ran as I suggested with four riders per team, there’s no reason why all PL clubs shouldn’t have NL ones, and why the four or five independent NL clubs couldn’t run double headers as home matches. That would accommodate 44 to 48 young riders, compared to the 56 now.

10 hours ago, DC2 said:

Well, it was just a suggestion because clubs seem to be leaving the NL, and it’s important that young riders have somewhere to start.

If it ran as I suggested with four riders per team, there’s no reason why all PL clubs shouldn’t have NL ones, and why the four or five independent NL clubs couldn’t run double headers as home matches. That would accommodate 44 to 48 young riders, compared to the 56 now.

There is no reason why all PL clubs don't host an MSDL side but only Poole & Swindon do (and both of those only started this year). PL clubs don't care about lower tiers as proven over and over again unless its a benefit to them. Add in 4 rider sides would either expose the gulf in riders further or set the standard higher for riders to break into the sport. Plus its a hell of a rush for the riders involved. Have you ever seen the effort 2nd half riders go through to get 3 rides in 6 races so to take it up to 4 rides in 8 would mean big gaps or some very unhappy riders.   

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

There is no reason why all PL clubs don't host an MSDL side but only Poole & Swindon do (and both of those only started this year). PL clubs don't care about lower tiers as proven over and over again unless its a benefit to them. Add in 4 rider sides would either expose the gulf in riders further or set the standard higher for riders to break into the sport. Plus its a hell of a rush for the riders involved. Have you ever seen the effort 2nd half riders go through to get 3 rides in 6 races so to take it up to 4 rides in 8 would mean big gaps or some very unhappy riders.   

OK, but I’d like to see NL riders at Swindon on a regular basis and I’d see that as improved value for money and an incentive to go.

And it would be better than a four team NL.

• Like 1