British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

Can't imagine Swindon will worry about Anders scores. Pretty sure his initial target will be as simple as match or beat the opposition No7 score on a meeting by meeting basis. 

Up to the experienced rider's to do their job to win meetings. 

No pressure on the kid

12 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

To be fair to him I thought riding at number two for Somerset might be too soon for him last season but he took it on his stride. Different matter of course in the Premiership but I wouldn’t bet against him holding his own, seems like a quick developer.

Let's hope so. My concern is that tail is going to be very long. Just don't want another Jack Smith scenario. 

Places pressure on Perks to do the job of the "senior reserve" now. Is he up to it??

Glad to see a young Brit not only given an opportunity but also willing.  Shame others don't/haven't.  Sure Perks will be fine as "senior" reserve

I think Rowe will do ok. I just looked up a couple of meetings on Updates and he beat Craig Cook and Rory Schlein in the last couple of meetings for Somerset last year.

if as we all assume Adam Ellis is returning then it looks likely Swindon will a very weak tail with 3 reserve average riders and I would expect Ellis Perks to be in the main body after a few meetings.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 9:33 PM, DC2 said:

All three of these appear to be PL 4 pointers:

Wells 7.05 CL,

Jordan Stewart 5.74 CL,

Jonas Jeppesen has never achieved an average.

You may take the view that the bottom two are young improvers that will be more successful than Lampart in making their mark in the 1 to 5, but I think Wells is the better bet.

Having said that, I’d be happy if we got either of the youngsters as an asset.

Lots of pressure on Ellis Perks to rise to the main reserve as was the case with Zach last year.

Hope it works out better for Ellis than it did Zach.

Also Anders has done better than Jack Smith in the lower league so hopefully that scenario doesn’t happen as that was painful for all concerned as he was so out of his depth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

Can't imagine Swindon will worry about Anders scores. Pretty sure his initial target will be as simple as match or beat the opposition No7 score on a meeting by meeting basis. 

Up to the experienced rider's to do their job to win meetings. 

No pressure on the kid

Except it doesn’t work like that.

Ask Jack Smith, James Shanes and Zac Wajtknecht.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hyabb17 said:

Personally I think all clubs should have to have one U21 Brit at reserve. 

2 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I agree - Every club with a Brit U21 would be ideal 

Surely it has to start in the CL though?

They should have a minimum 7 point NL average to be eligible for the CL.

And then a 4.5 CL average before coming into the PL.

Otherwise they’re just rabbits in the headlights, making up the numbers and usually tailed off.

3 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Except it doesn’t work like that.

Ask Jack Smith, James Shanes and Zac Wajtknecht.

Especially with a long tail, if Swindon were more solid with a stronger reserve then perhaps the pressure on Rowe would be less but he will need to chip in and pull his weight. Rather than those you have named one hopes it’s the making of him and he can thrive in his role. 

Looking at Rowe's scores for Somerset, I reckon that if he were a Pole, a Dane or a Swede everyone would be saying we should snap him up immediately. But, because he is a young British rider, there seems a reluctance to accept him as a signing.

I haven't seen him ride, but on his recent scoring I think he can hold his own at reserve.

He beat Claus Vissing as well when Somerset raced Glasgow.

I was surprised at how well he is doing when I looked.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Especially with a long tail, if Swindon were more solid with a stronger reserve then perhaps the pressure on Rowe would be less but he will need to chip in and pull his weight. Rather than those you have named one hopes it’s the making of him and he can thrive in his role. 

Ellis Perks should have been Swindon’s lowest averaged signing for next year.

For all of his effort this year people seem to overlook the fact he scored bugger all points and ended with a 3.57 average.

Rowe has an average two points below Perks in the CL so I expect him to score fewer points next year than Ellis did this year and it won’t help the lad’s confidence. I doubt he’ll average 3. That’s no reflection on him, it’s just a year too early.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Looking at Rowe's scores for Somerset, I reckon that if he were a Pole, a Dane or a Swede everyone would be saying we should snap him up immediately. But, because he is a young British rider, there seems a reluctance to accept him as a signing.

I haven't seen him ride, but on his recent scoring I think he can hold his own at reserve.

He beat Claus Vissing as well when Somerset raced Glasgow.

I was surprised at how well he is doing when I looked.

How many of those points were from beating the lower reserves though especially in Heat 8?.

People are just raising a concern as so many young lads dropped out in the championship because they weren’t ready last season.

Anders was clearly a better rider than most but that doesn’t mean he’s ready at this moment.

I just hope it works out for all concerned but it’s right to raise the question.

• Like 2

Just now, Crazy robin said:

How many of those points were from beating the lower reserves though especially in Heat 8?.

People are just raising a concern as so many young lads dropped out in the championship because they weren’t ready last season.

Anders was clearly a better rider than most but that doesn’t mean he’s ready at this moment.

I just hope it works out for all concerned but it’s right to raise the question.

Obviously a lot of them were, because he rode at number 2.

He looks a good prospect.

Going through his last few meetings:

Against Glasgow he beat Craig Cook in heat one and also beat Claus Vissing.

Against Sheffield he beat Danny King (King was off 15m)

Against Newcastle he beat Steve Worrall.

Yes he is still young, and there's no guarantee he can hit good scores in the top league, but on form alone he looks a good signing on a 3 average.