British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

2 hours ago, geoff58 said:

proof is their tho that is the difference :t:

2 hours ago, orion said:

in Swindon case its about 10 % ..even now they  were poping  champagne cocks when they got planning permission ...You do wonder when they will  learn about Clark and Gaming int . What is the delay now ? 

I know there is a difference when we are looking at a council led build and a gaming company with a seemingly poor history.

I guess time will only tell but I hope the Swindon fans get what they are expecting. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

I guess time will only tell but I hope the Swindon fans get what they are expecting. 

I hope not Steve . I hope we get what we are  not  expecting :D

1 hour ago, orion said:

I hope not Steve . I hope we get what we are  not  expecting :D

Oh yes, I get your point now :D

Which team would win, 2007 or 2019?

Considering how the riders performed in those seasons and not on their reputations, I wouldn’t be so sure that the 2007 one would thrash the 2019 one:

Adams

Chrzanowski

Gjedde

Ulamek

Richardson

Korneliesen

Moore

Doyle

Ellis

Musielak

Jensen

Batchelor

Vissing

Perks

5 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Considering how the riders performed in those seasons and not on their reputations, I wouldn’t be so sure that the 2007 one would thrash the 2019 one:

Adams

Chrzanowski

Gjedde

Ulamek

Richardson

Korneliesen

Moore

Doyle

Ellis

Musielak

Jensen

Batchelor

Vissing

Perks

2007 was a lot stronger. That was before the sport went on a campaign of weakening and downgrading  the teams over consecutive years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grachan said:

2007 was a lot stronger. That was before the sport went on a campaign of weakening and downgrading  the teams over consecutive years.

Do you think the 2007 2, 3 and 4 would beat last year’s counterparts based on their form in the respective seasons?

And Adams and Richardson would 5-1 Doyle and Batchelor?

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

Do you think the 2007 2, 3 and 4 would beat last year’s counterparts based on their form in the respective seasons?

And Adams and Richardson would 5-1 Doyle and Batchelor?

The one thing 2020 has, possibly, is more of a winning mentality. Just on rider standard alone, 2007 is stronger for me.

The 2020 side performed better but the league was stronger in 2007.

5 minutes ago, Grachan said:

The one thing 2020 has, possibly, is more of a winning mentality. Just on rider standard alone, 2007 is stronger for me.

The 2020 side performed better but the league was stronger in 2007.

I remember thinking at the start of 2007 it was a dream team but they never seemed to all fire at the same time. Gjedde in particular was poor and dropped to reserve (although he did have some good meetings there away from home) and the Poles seemed to go off the boil to the extent that made Rosco say he would never sign another again.

And while I liked Andy Moore he just couldn’t gate.

5 hours ago, DC2 said:

You only have to look at the SGB website archive section for your answer, the 2007 side finished with a team average of 47.70 and won all 18 home fixtures in a considerably tougher league, last years team finished with a combined 46.34.

5 hours ago, DC2 said:

I remember thinking at the start of 2007 it was a dream team but they never seemed to all fire at the same time. Gjedde in particular was poor and dropped to reserve (although he did have some good meetings there away from home) and the Poles seemed to go off the boil to the extent that made Rosco say he would never sign another again.

And while I liked Andy Moore he just couldn’t gate.

We were all disappointed with how the 2007 season finished up but your memory is obviously only fixed on the end of season performance, the team were by and large superb home (hitting 50+ in 16 of the 18 fixtures) and away (8 wins from 18) until late in the season where they lost a handful of away fixtures on the run in and completely fell apart in the away leg of the Grand Final.

As for Mooro it's all relative to ability, he appeared to be unable to gate because of the quality of opposition, if he was riding in the current set up he'd be a trump card at reserve and would more likely be a steady 2nd string.

Edited by The Weasel
grammar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Weasel said:

You only have to look at the SGB website archive section for your answer, the 2007 side finished with a team average of 47.70 and won all 18 home fixtures in a considerably tougher league, last years team finished with a combined 46.34.

We were all disappointed with how the 2007 season finished up but your memory is obviously only fixed on the end of season performance, the team were by and large superb home (hitting 50+ in 16 of the 18 fixtures) and away (8 wins from 18) until late in the season where they lost a handful of away fixtures on the run in and completely fell apart in the away leg of the Grand Final.

As for Mooro it's all relative to ability, he appeared to be unable to gate because of the quality of opposition, if he was riding in the current set up he'd be a trump card at reserve and would more likely be a steady 2nd string.

That’s all well reasoned.

But would you pick the 2007 Chrzanowski, Ulamek and Gjedde over the 2019 Ellis, Musielak and Jensen If you were picking a team for this year?

I certainly wouldn’t.

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

But would you pick the 2007 Chrzanowski, Ulamek and Gjedde over the 2019 Ellis, Musielak and Jensen If you were picking a team for this year?

I certainly wouldn’t.

Agree.

17 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I certainly wouldn’t.

It's quite interesting when you really look and analyse the two teams that there isn't so much difference in strength considering all the weakening of the league that has gone on since. (Although, of course, we have to remember that the 2007 side were not Champions).

The main difference, when you look at the teams in the league from now and then, is that most teams had a World Class number one then. Apart from that, there isn't too much difference. Swindon, of course, had a World class no 1 in 2019, which made a lot of difference for them.

Comparing the two sides:

Adams v Doyle - I'd say Adams was the better rider, but Doyle has the winning mentality. I'd go for Leigh though at league level.

Chrzanowski v Ellis - Ellis, and he's still improving

Gjedde v Musielak - pretty even. On top form I'd go for Musielak

Ulamek v Jensen - Jensen due to his passing ability

Richardson v Batchelor - Richardson

Korneliusen v Vissing - Kornieliesen. And this is a big, key difference I think.

Moore v Perks - Moore.

So, I make it 4-3 to 2007, which is pretty close.

Adams v Doyle you could go even, as both could beat everyone else in the league.

So not such a difference. I'd still go for 2007, though, based on reserve strength. Having Korneliusen/Chrzanowski at reserve would make a major difference in the weaker races.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 1

I think that’s a fair assessment, Grachan.

Lots of fans say the league has been weakened every year so you’d imagine our 2019 team to be like an NL side compared to the 2007 one, but it isn’t anything like that weak.

The only “weakening” has been the loss of a handful of GP standard number 1s and some reserves promoted prematurely from the lower leagues.

Just now, DC2 said:

I think that’s a fair assessment, Grachan.

Lots of fans say the league has been weakened every year so you’d imagine our 2019 team to be like an NL side compared to the 2007 one, but it isn’t anything like that weak.

The only “weakening” has been the loss of a handful of GP standard number 1s and some reserves promoted prematurely from the lower leagues.

As you say, stronger numbers ones then, and a bit more solid at reserve. The middle orders are pretty much the same.

• Like 1

I remember the Adver headlines pre season 2007, something like “ Roscos’s dream team”, referring to the line up he had put together for the coming season. 

The failure to win any trophies that year was very disappointing and I recall Leigh Adams being particularly disappointed with the Performance of the team in the second leg of the play off final at Coventry. The team simply buckled under the pressure of a fired up Coventry side that night. 

Personally I think both the 2007 team and the 2019 team were pretty evenly matched, and I’d agree that the teams in 2007 were much stronger,  I’d take the 2019 to win a match between the two sides, if anything because the 2019 team appeared to be much tougher mentally.