British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

6 minutes ago, YerRopes said:

Or even 5 man teams.. 

Will there be enough time, given the ongoing current uncertainty to get new teams together.. 

If the lockdown allows - a small group of us hope to do a mini tour, especially as we've cancelled 2 trips to Poland in May and June.. 

Don’t want to put a damper on what is already incredibly tough times, but personally, can’t see a speedway season in the UK this year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

Don’t want to put a damper on what is already incredibly tough times, but personally, can’t see a speedway season in the UK this year. 

Tbh, you're probably right.. 

Depending, there may be a few individual meetings here and there, hope so anyway.. 

If we get anything, I can't see it being more than a few open/challenge matches around August/September time. Teams could easily be made up with guests as they will be purely for entertainment purposes. I can't see there being any league.

Matches like that would normally be very sparsely attended, but if they were the only speedway this year they'd probably attract pretty decent crowds.

Poland is way ahead of the UK with Corona Virus and even they aren't starting until June - and even then without crowds, which the UK have said they won't do.

So Poland will also be having crowds before they are viable in the UK. We'll be lucky to get anything at all.

Jason has gone to Poland with Swindon's blessing, according to the website, as they couldn't guarantee him a start this year. Any rider who can get a place in Poland and is happy to stay there for 6 months will be a fool not to take it if they want a ride this year.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 4

Tbh, you're probably right.. 

Depending, there may be a few individual meetings here and there, hope so anyway.. 

Maybe they could get 16 riders together and have a British "Grand Prix" series or something like that.

6 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Maybe they could get 16 riders together and have a British "Grand Prix" series or something like that.

I'd go, feel a bit starved atm.. 

I'd go, feel a bit starved atm.. 

Me too. I think they would attract good crowds as the only choice for this year.

7 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Me too. I think they would attract good crowds as the only choice for this year.

Even if it was just one such meeting at every track, I'd travel.. 

No restrictions on race nights either, subject to stadia contracts.. 

Maybe this whole godamn awful thing will trigger a resurgence In British Speedway?  Wouldn’t that be marvellous?

5 minutes ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

Maybe this whole godamn awful thing will trigger a resurgence In British Speedway?  Wouldn’t that be marvellous?

An interesting comment but how do you visualise 'trigger a resurgence in British Speedway?'

I guess something similar to early nineties football when their crowds were at an all time low. Suddenly there was a spike in interest ( I accept that was probably due to Sky money) but sometimes in life you only realise how you miss something when it isn’t there.

So maybe Sky or someone else will provide the financial assistance the sport deserves and desperately needs. 

10 hours ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

I guess something similar to early nineties football when their crowds were at an all time low. Suddenly there was a spike in interest ( I accept that was probably due to Sky money) but sometimes in life you only realise how you miss something when it isn’t there.

So maybe Sky or someone else will provide the financial assistance the sport deserves and desperately needs. 

Sadly sky have already provided massive (in speedway terms)  financial assistance in the early days of their TV coverage. Sadly like most things connected to the BSPA that golden egg was dropped and smashed in pieces. 

Hence the poor revenue for later contracts and then the almost give away to BT sport. 

From 1999 to mid noughies speedway had the media partner and the money coming in to really turn the sport around... The rest as they say is history! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spl77 said:

Sadly sky have already provided massive (in speedway terms)  financial assistance in the early days of their TV coverage. Sadly like most things connected to the BSPA that golden egg was dropped and smashed in pieces. 

Hence the poor revenue for later contracts and then the almost give away to BT sport. 

From 1999 to mid noughies speedway had the media partner and the money coming in to really turn the sport around... The rest as they say is history! 

Used the money, in the main, to pay for the team's world class GP riders..

Whose presence didnt prevent annually dwindling crowds...

And then the vast majority of them dropped UK Speedway like a stone...

All that money and zero development of the sport in the UK?

In fact, it delivered actual regression in terms of fan numbers...

Amazing...

Another one of UK Speedway's fantastic, well thought out, long term, visionary business plans, which they have appeared so marvellously adept at making over the years...:rolleyes:

On 4/30/2020 at 9:57 AM, mikebv said:

Been that way for donkeys years though hasn't it?

All to try and win something that hardly anyone gives a monkey's about, with the vast majority, who still attend, there each week whether you win or lose because they are die hards of the sport.

Spending an incredible amount on riders who spend an incredible amount on their machinery, with hardly a penny spent on marketing and publicity?

An incredible business model..

Not sure about that . Swindon fans  loved doing well and loved winning the title it was still a big thing for the fans and the crowds would good because of that . Doing well and winning things will nearly always  have a positive effect on crowd levels .

Spending money on marketing and publicity with a crap team near the bottom is a incredible  poor business model 

• Like 3

The best marketing and publicity comes from personal recommendations, the word of mouth from fans.

It’s obviously us who have failed the sport!

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

The best marketing and publicity comes from personal recommendations, the word of mouth from fans.

It’s obviously us who have failed the sport!

You laugh, but in a way it is true. If anybody were to look at this forum to get an idea about the sport, they wouldn't go near it. The general consensus is that the sport is either, dead, dying or not the way it used to be in the good old days 

• Like 2