British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

Swindon official website has announced that they are not running in 2021, can see another year of no speedway in UK. Sorry that I don't know how to post link but check out their official page

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Cookiefan said:

Devastating news for British speedway, my team was first to pull out last year and the way things are going I can see more teams pulling out. Covid 19 is going nowhere , restrictions will be in place for months to come

Don't think this is directly attributable to anything other than Stadium Development being planned in summer period when Covid most likely in retreat (as it was in 2020 lets not forget) and with certainly delayed start to probably May and possibility of not being able to get enough Fixtures in.

Of course music to the ears of the British Speedway is dead doom-mongers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

New stadium development?

Right-o Mr Osborne!

• Haha 1

So sorry for the Robins fans (and speedway fans everywhere). Sadly they won't be the last.

This is either great news or terrible news.

If the building work does go ahead, then it secures our future for years to come. If it is simply an excuse, then I think we've seen our last heat at the Abbey.

8 minutes ago, MattK said:

This is either great news or terrible news.

If the building work does go ahead, then it secures our future for years to come. If it is simply an excuse, then I think we've seen our last heat at the Abbey.

I have to agree. Would you build a new stadium in the current financial climate?

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Don't think this is directly attributable to anything other than Stadium Development being planned in summer period when Covid most likely in retreat (as it was in 2020 lets not forget) and with certainly delayed start to probably May and possibility of not being able to get enough Fixtures in.

Of course music to the ears of the British Speedway is dead doom-mongers

Why on earth do people still think it will ever be built. How many stadium rebuilds has Osborne seen through? And his words in the last sentence of the statement say it all. No fans will be back until they are in the new stadium. If that's not the final nail in the coffin then I don't know what is. They have been waiting for an excuse to say its not happening and get the houses up. It's no secret that Terry Russell has been looking to get out for years which no one can blame him for. He's been immense for our club and kept it going and given us title winning teams. But with all the uncertainty in 2021 this just seems a perfect opportunity for everyone just to say that's the end. No one in their right mind is going to take on the promotion of a club in these circumstances. I don't blame Russell one bit if this is the end. I've been going for 35 years and feel gutted today as I'm sure all of the realist Robins fan do as well. 

I can understand their reluctance to run in 2021.

Swindon fans now have A long wait for 2022.

Hopefully most clubs will have a shortened season in 2021

13 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I have to agree. Would you build a new stadium in the current financial climate?

It depends who you believe. Apparently the new stadium is "all but complete" and is sat in storage in Wales. Now, if you look closely, you'll see the date on that article is May 2017. You can make up your own mind about the validity of those comments.

Personally, I wouldn't build a new stadium in any financial climate. The land designated for the new stadium could hold around 200 houses. If you assume a house costs £100k to build and sells for £300k, that's £40m of potential profit from building houses. On the other hand, let's say a new stadium makes £1m profit per year (which sounds wildly optimistic), it would take 40 years of stadium operations to make the same profit as building houses. Which one would you choose?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MattK said:

It depends who you believe. Apparently the new stadium is "all but complete" and is sat in storage in Wales. Now, if you look closely, you'll see the date on that article is May 2017. You can make up your own mind about the validity of those comments.

Personally, I wouldn't build a new stadium in any financial climate. The land designated for the new stadium could hold around 200 houses. If you assume a house costs £100k to build and sells for £300k, that's £40m of potential profit from building houses. On the other hand, let's say a new stadium makes £1m profit per year (which sounds wildly optimistic), it would take 40 years of stadium operations to make the same profit as building houses. Which one would you choose?

Spot on. Speedway and dog racing are both cloth cap sports that are in terminal decline. That is reality, not negativity!

As goma Pyle would say Shame Shame Shame, Ipswich were looking foreward to giving Swindon a good touch up and take that cup off them in 21

25 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

I can understand their reluctance to run in 2021.

Swindon fans now have A long wait for 2022.

Hopefully most clubs will have a shortened season in 2021

I will be surprised if there any sort of season in 2021! 

Really gutting to hear this news, feel for all swindon fans.

fingers crossed you can come to tapes in 2022