British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

This has to be of been a fairly recent decision. Rosco and Doyle both in the press in recent weeks and months saying about riding for Swindon next year and leaving out Sweden, so he was either kept in the dark or as I said a recent development.

All the best Swindon fans.... seems like a long road back

Any news regarding Swindon Stadium?

Sad news indeed, having lost my club (Workington) It is a big miss, hopefully the Robins will return in 2022. These unforseen times will test the sport to the limit and my great fear is that Swindon will not be the only club to decide upon this strategy, indeed I fear for the future of the sport, how many riders will retire and look elsewhere to make a living? This coming year will be critical to the sport, let's hope it can survive it.

Jason Doyle must be gutted,  loyalty to British Speedway!!!!

Edited by Ajr

9 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Any news regarding Swindon Stadium?

Go to Swindon robins website 

• Like 1

Just now, Ajr said:

Sad news indeed, having lost my club (Workington) It is a big miss, hopefully the Robins will return in 2022. These unforseen times will test the sport to the limit and my great fear is that Swindon will not be the only club to decide upon this strategy, indeed I fear for the future of the sport, how many riders will retire and look elsewhere to make a living? This coming year will be critical to the sport, let's hope it can survive it.

Is the stadium now to be totally developed (as the plan was always to be in my opinion) or is there another agenda?

If this isn't a good reason for combining the Premier and Championship leagues I don't know what is.

A good early call IMHO - if things were clearer then TR may have been prepared to take the risk.  It is likely that some sort of disruption to our lives will continue until the vaccine is rolled out sufficiently - so expect lockdowns, tier restrictions etc until then.

The likelihood is under 50s won’t get their first vaccine until August or September (unless they have a medical need to have it earlier) so I would expect significant impact to all sports in 2021 sadly.

If (and it’s a big if) they can roll it out quicker then they may have a chance of a curtailed season.

Edited by Steve0

I for one can completely understand their decision but i'm still disappointed as i will have no local club to watch. As others have said i'm sure other teams may follow in sitting out. I just hope that Swindon do return in 2022.

No sure how old TR is but must be in his 70’s. Swindon losing money, the stadium not going to happen and the whole sport in a deep mess so maybe he’s decided enough is enough! Who could blame him. 

Edited by Speedtiger

The end of Swindon Speedway. 

Another Southern track gone. No way will a new stadium ever be built, this virus is the perfect excuse to close the place down once and for all.  

Used to love my trips to Swindon with the Wasps , watching on the fourth bend. Quality. 

Are the dogs still going to run when the so called stadium works are being carried out???

If they are then I'd say that's the biggest indication that speedway won't be running for this year and TR knows this so let his fans know early 

the swindon management have clearly led the fans up the garden path with the new stadium plans it was said in may 2017 by the management that the pre_ built stands were in storage in wales ? well who has been paying the storage fees for that ? why don't the club explain that to the fans ? can't see stadia uk paying for re-vamp of blunsdon after covid this is the perfect get out clause sadly :(

Just now, geoff58 said:

the swindon management have clearly led the fans up the garden path with the new stadium plans it was said in may 2017 by the management that the pre_ built stands were in storage in wales ? well who has been paying the storage fees for that ? why don't the club explain that to the fans ? can't see stadia uk paying for re-vamp of blunsdon after covid this is the perfect get out clause sadly :(

...with Clark Osborne involved nothing would surprise me!

• Confused 1