British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

With Clark Osborne involved the only thing that would surprise me is if they end up with the promised new stadium.

• Like 3

Hopefully Speedway can return in 2022 to Swindon, all to often when clubs close for whatever reason the sport is lost to the town...Workington, Coventry,Hull,Newport, Oxford etc.:neutral:

38 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...with Clark Osborne involved nothing would surprise me!

i'm not local to him but reading about him he doesn't come across has a honest guy ???

If Swindon don't re-open what a great last meeting at Blunsdon that was..Double Winners and hundreds chanting and singing..unforgettable evening:cheers::party::t:

5 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

No fans will be back until they are in the new stadium. 

Indeed. A statement by Clarke Osbourne that must set alarm bells ringing.

For years there have been excuses for the stadium not being built. Will we, from 2022, be seeing excuses for the sport not returning, with the same statements about the stadium being built soon and that speedway will be back once it is built, and these statements going on for a few more years?

I think that in Rosco and Lee Kilby we have a promotion who would bust their balls to help find a new location for the sport if it was needed, but they can't do that until this one is finished with.

I hope that speedway will be back in Blunsdon next year, but there has to be doubt from that statement. To quote directly: "we do not anticipate any public attendance until the new customer facilities are in place."

Think about that. How long ago was it that they all sat on a digger in the car park and indicated that work was due to start?

• Thanks 1

The alleged new stadium won’t happen now I’d have thought wasn’t it going stage a round of WU21 a few season ago ? and why with houses surrounding the existing stadium would you build in the car park ? That said it’s a very sad day for the sport 
sadly I feel others will follow Swindon with everything so uncertain how can any club plan for the season ahead how can riders plan ?  by not running in 2021 there is certainty . 

• Like 1

I've supported New Cross, Wimbledon, Workington..all closed:(

48 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

i'm not local to him but reading about him he doesn't come across has a honest guy ???

He was part of the Bristol Stadium Consortium who very nearly managed to close down Cowley Stadium during the seventies before the SOS Committee (of which my uncle was one) saved the stadium.

• Sad 1

If this was actually going to end with Swindon taking their place next season in the new stadium then it would be a positive step. 

Unfortunately I think we all know how this is really going to end. Always seemed unlikely it would ever happen and now Covid is the perfect excuse for Stadia UK to not go through with it

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

I've supported New Cross, Wimbledon, Workington..all closed:(

doesn't look good for your current team  sadly ??

Edited by geoff58

21 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

If this was actually going to end with Swindon taking their place next season in the new stadium then it would be a positive step. 

Unfortunately I think we all know how this is really going to end. Always seemed unlikely it would ever happen and now Covid is the perfect excuse for Stadia UK to not go through with it

my thoughts exactly glad someone else has seen it the same !! sadly correct

41 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

Sadly you are right...this is not just the Covid situation, Swindon Robins have been sold down the river! Think back to Reading Racers!! All that history gone! 

2 hours ago, salty said:

With Clark Osborne involved the only thing that would surprise me is if they end up with the promised new stadium.

Trouble is I anticipated this when I started a simiar thread some five plus years ago when news was first leaked regarding the proposed development of the stadium. The whole situation has been poorly handled with constant contradictory information/press releases and the Swindon faithful sold down the river.

1 hour ago, KingoftheTrack said:

Jason Doyle should tell the Robins management to get stuffed going forward.

They've turned Doyley right over after he committed to them by dropping Sweden. 

I expect he'll get a team place much closer to home.......

• Like 1