British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Co-Promoters Rosco and Kilby have both stated that Robins will definitely be back in 2022.

Do you honestly believe that ?:unsure:

23 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

Exactly. A few pictures of this stadium in storage and everyone would shut up for a while! Suppose you can't photograph something that doesn't exist! 

I asked this years ago, I can't believe the promotion haven't asked to see the stadium, If I remember correctly it was at Newport. 

19 minutes ago, eric i said:

I asked this years ago, I can't believe the promotion haven't asked to see the stadium, If I remember correctly it was at Newport. 

Port Talbot 

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Co-Promoters Rosco and Kilby have both stated that Robins will definitely be back in 2022.

sadly neither one would have any clue whats going on

How old is Clarke Osborne ? i remember him from the time he was trying to close Oxford, so i assume he must be in his 70s

6 minutes ago, orion said:

Port Talbot 

The stadium is probably the best looking building in Port Talbot and its still in its box

• Haha 1

Gutted as thought with Doyley turning down Sweden it was all going to be ok. I’ve heard that there has also been a lot of damage done to the pits, changing rooms etc during the winter. It’s been really rubbish & looking forward to seeing speedway again was a huge tonic. For me it’s 48 years of watching the Robins & out as no way will the stadium be done even in a climate where trades would jump at the work:-(

What a glum day.

On one hand it’s no surprise to learn of teams struggling to make plans for ‘21 with everything so uncertain still and deciding not to risk it. On the other it is somewhat of a surprise to me that Swindon have taken the decision themselves with the rest of the league still hoping to run this year.

The stadium situation has been nearly 15 years in the making now though. All the false hopes of each previous announcement only make you more certain that the new stadium will never appear. I’ve said for a while that I thought the best hope of keeping speedway at Blunsdon is for crowds to keep turning up in good numbers, keeping the club in the local eye and as a tangible asset to the town and its people, rather than it just withering away and the community seeing it as something that should be put out of its misery.

COVID has given Osbourne the perfect scenario to quietly shake the club off the site. Even if no building work on the site happens in the next 12 months, you can easily imagine the stadium being written off as unsuitable for use at scale after being sat empty for two years.

Gives Osbourne the chance to show he’s not the the ghoulish, deceitful, slimebag some of us might think of him as based on previous form though, if a new stadium were to somehow emerge. I won’t be putting much money on it myself though.

Even if against the odds, the robins do take to track in 2022, you wonder just what will be left of other clubs by then. Hard to feel much positivity about the sport at the moment.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

How old is Clarke Osborne ? i remember him from the time he was trying to close Oxford, so i assume he must be in his 70s

Yes and he nearly sold us down the river then! Seem to recall he once took to the track in a race car and had a race with Gordon Kennett around Cowley or am I imagining that?

48 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes and he nearly sold us down the river then! Seem to recall he once took to the track in a race car and had a race with Gordon Kennett around Cowley or am I imagining that?

I remember the car going around the track, must have been around 1973. It wasn't Osborne, I think it was a guy called Tombs?  Not sure they raced side by side, might have gone around separately.  The incident was not a great success but was entertaining. Those were the days!

11 hours ago, poole keith said:

sadly neither one would have any clue whats going on

I don't believe that. As tenants, I think the speedway club are fully aware of what is going on and have been all along. If they are not aware, then Rossiter and Kilby are negligent in their roles.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, orion said:

Such a shame. Obviously it wouldn't have been kept since 2017, not something described as a stadium - a fence on pallets maybe. I can only hope they do return in 2022.

13 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

Exactly. A few pictures of this stadium in storage and everyone would shut up for a while! Suppose you can't photograph something that doesn't exist! 

I think it's in the same storage unit as the roof for the Odsal superdome :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1