British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

6 hours ago, GWC said:

Major league racing exists in 3 other countries, Poland Sweden and Denmark. In all these countries their stadiums are used purely for speedway which in the U.K. is a luxury the majority of owners can’t afford.

The number of dog tracks used for speedway has rapidly declined as they have been redeveloped most were built in City centres and are prime-redevelopment sites. The remaining are in such poor condition with outdated facilities people are starting to vote with their feet.

There will be a time when dogs will be gone but speedway, as we currently know it will also be gone sadly.

You only have to see how Belle Vue now probably wouldn't exist if the NSS hadn't been built, to see the future those Greyhound sharing tracks face..

• Like 2

Well chaps Easter weekend which used to be a busy time for speedway. Years back meetings with Reading and Oxford in a three team tournament. Then home and away to Oxford on good Friday, then after losing Oxford and Reading it was then Poole home and away.

I remember back in 86 we rode away at Oxford on Good Friday then onto Colchester to watch Swindon Town in the evening. Simon Garrett drove, i think Adie Fisher came and i can't remember who the other guy was perhaps someone will remind me. The pub was packed with Swindon fans.

Happy days

• Like 2

On 2/5/2021 at 11:03 AM, JessicaJones said:

Hi @HGould
We put forward a petition to the council that asked them to consider other uses for the stadium that don't involve animal exploitation and that would make the stadium financially viable.  

I'm intrigued. Under your scheme who owned the stadium and what were the financially viable alternatives?  

12 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

I'm intrigued. Under your scheme who owned the stadium and what were the financially viable alternatives?  

I wouldn`t worry too much about Jessica Jones and her ilk- they want to ban Horse racing, ferret racing etc etc.

won't have to worry about the stadium & sports there it will be gone soon for houses :unsure:

On 4/4/2021 at 1:51 PM, cdakev said:

Well chaps Easter weekend which used to be a busy time for speedway. Years back meetings with Reading and Oxford in a three team tournament. Then home and away to Oxford on good Friday, then after losing Oxford and Reading it was then Poole home and away.

I remember back in 86 we rode away at Oxford on Good Friday then onto Colchester to watch Swindon Town in the evening. Simon Garrett drove, i think Adie Fisher came and i can't remember who the other guy was perhaps someone will remind me. The pub was packed with Swindon fans.

Happy days

Happy days!

Start looking for somewhere else. Maybe somewhere a moto x already exists for planning purposes

On 2/7/2021 at 6:53 PM, GWC said:

Major league racing exists in 3 other countries, Poland Sweden and Denmark. In all these countries their stadiums are used purely for speedway which in the U.K. is a luxury the majority of owners can’t afford.

The number of dog tracks used for speedway has rapidly declined as they have been redeveloped most were built in City centres and are prime-redevelopment sites. The remaining are in such poor condition with outdated facilities people are starting to vote with their feet.

There will be a time when dogs will be gone but speedway, as we currently know it will also be gone sadly.

It would be interesting to hear if speedway clubs in other countries would face the opposition that clubs in this country face when they look to open up anywhere new. It would be great to have speedway specific sites, even if it is in rural areas, like many of the tracks in Denmark and Sweden are, but there is just too much hurdles put up by residents and councils. As for getting speedway specific sites in town centres like Poland, dream on.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 6:53 PM, GWC said:

You cannot say that every greyhound stadium  is in  " poor condition " to name 5 Romford,  Brighton, Nottingham, Sittingbourne and Perry Barr are well maintained facilities and i`m sure there are others as well.

Edited by racers and royals

9 minutes ago, GAH said:

and none of the accomodate speedway :(

Perry Barr is the home of Birmingham speedway and sittingbourne is Kent kings

Edited by Racin Jason 72

10 hours ago, racers and royals said:

You cannot say that every greyhound stadium  is in  " poor condition " to name 5 Romford,  Brighton, Nottingham, Sittingbourne and Perry Barr are well maintained facilities and i`m sure there are others as well.

I dont think the threat is the standard of the stadiums...

It's that they have an ever dwindling customer base and are now in many instances only running due to the money the internet betting can bring..

Add in the ever growing animal welfare pressure and the fact so many could return "millions" if sold due to their locations, and you can't see too much of a bright future for dog tracks..

Which, unless Speedway clubs who rent off them do something different, their future too will be similarly impacted..

You won't get too many NSS's being built maybe but I am sure a 'Somerset', 'Scunthorpe', or even a 'Buxton' could be built in many areas and then get upgraded over the years..

The sport has an ultra loyal fan base who are pretty much the only ones who now still attend with any level of regularity, therefore a move to somewhere in the same vicinity wouldnt prevent most of them attending I would think, and 700 or so punters whereby you keep all the income must be a thousand times better than getting the same amount and not getting car park money, bar take and having to pay rent...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

I dont think the threat is the standard of the stadiums...

It's that they have an ever dwindling customer base and are now in many instances only running due to the money the internet betting can bring..

Add in the ever growing animal welfare pressure and the fact so many could return "millions" if sold due to their locations, and you can't see too much of a bright future for dog tracks..

Which, unless Speedway clubs who rent off them do something different, their future too will be similarly impacted..

You won't get too many NSS's being built maybe but I am sure a 'Somerset', 'Scunthorpe', or even a 'Buxton' could be built in many areas and then get upgraded over the years..

The sport has an ultra loyal fan base who are pretty much the only ones who now still attend with any level of regularity, therefore a move to somewhere in the same vicinity wouldnt prevent most of them attending I would think, and 700 or so punters whereby you keep all the income must be a thousand times better than getting the same amount and not getting car park money, bar take and having to pay rent...

How much for a bog standard set up to get things off the ground, permiter fence, track/air fence, track surface, electrics, toilets. 

£300k? More?

Plus potentially the cost of the land unless you could rent it.

Not insignificant costs, are there people in or interested enough in speedway to shell out this type of capital? 

The N.N.N.S.  was built because the council and the M.P. was all for it (i think I'm right)  this is not the case in most other Towns/cities. 

45 minutes ago, noaksey said:

How much for a bog standard set up to get things off the ground, permiter fence, track/air fence, track surface, electrics, toilets. 

£300k? More?

Plus potentially the cost of the land unless you could rent it.

Not insignificant costs, are there people in or interested enough in speedway to shell out this type of capital? 

I suppose it's the trade off of paying out say £3000 a night in rental 20 times a year, at least, for the rest of your life...

And getting zero money from car parks, bars and restaurants for the whole of that time too...

If £300k start up then that's around just five years rent for some..

We have got several examples of "rustic" Speedway tracks that have been developed over the years, particularly ones that "get the track shape right" from the outset which delivers great racing..

The NSS was hugely fortunate to exist and Messrs Gordon and Morton deserve every plaudit they got for it, as without it, there probably wouldnt be an Aces now, as their old track will soon be a housing estate..

A "Buxton" however cannot be beyond the realms of possibility in most places...

1 hour ago, John Scrutton said:

The N.N.N.S.  was built because the council and the M.P. was all for it (i think I'm right)  this is not the case in most other Towns/cities. 

N.N.N.S ? You mean NSS :t: