British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

I suppose it's the trade off of paying out say £3000 a night in rental 20 times a year, at least, for the rest of your life...

And getting zero money from car parks, bars and restaurants for the whole of that time too...

If £300k start up then that's around just five years rent for some..

We have got several examples of "rustic" Speedway tracks that have been developed over the years, particularly ones that "get the track shape right" from the outset which delivers great racing..

The NSS was hugely fortunate to exist and Messrs Gordon and Morton deserve every plaudit they got for it, as without it, there probably wouldnt be an Aces now, as their old track will soon be a housing estate..

A "Buxton" however cannot be beyond the realms of possibility in most places...

Yes very much so. Keeping a keen eye on Northside for a possible Workington come back.

It needs the foresight and passion plus cash and then a sympathetic council. We now have some terrific Speedway venues that have shown the way forward in the U.K. 

I was at Somerset's second ever meeting. It was basic but the track was fab and I believe its now a bit better kitted out.

On 4/4/2021 at 4:17 PM, racers and royals said:

I wouldn`t worry too much about Jessica Jones and her ilk- they want to ban Horse racing, ferret racing etc etc.

That's correct - anything involving animal cruelty has no place in our society.  And it's a shame that some people want to continue to rely on it to fund their sport/hobby rather than finding more ethical ways of keeping their sport going.

On 4/4/2021 at 4:03 PM, George Dodds said:

I'm intrigued. Under your scheme who owned the stadium and what were the financially viable alternatives?  

There are several options that the council could consider.  I also spoke to the philanthropist who wanted to develop Swindon town centre and he had some ideas too which he was going to put forward to the council.  However, the council didn't seem to want to consider any of them.  

There are standalone speedway tracks here and there are many other uses of a speedway track that could be used to subsidise speedway.  Gaming International have reported a loss in their last set of accounts for 2018 and 2019 so I can't see that greyhound racing as a spectator sport has a future at Swindon.  And to rely on that to subsidise speedway is very short sighted.  Far better to propose alternative uses for the stadium that are more financially viable.

The stadium itself is in a terrible state and it's hard to believe that GI Ltd are going to come good on their promise to redevelop it, especially as they are a loss making company and greyhound racing is in decline in the UK.    

The idea of having a standalone speedway site away from the houses seems like a good one if the fans could raise the money and find a site.

On Facebook, whenever the track is mentioned on local community groups, speedway fans seem to think that it's the speedway that residents object to.  Most residents that have been in touch with us say they don't mind the noise of the speedway and they bought knowing they would have to live with that noise.  It's the noise of the dogs crying during the day as they are kennelled at the back of the stadium that has distressed some local residents and caused them to object, especially now people are working at home during the day. 

Edited by JessicaJones

No speedway club profits from greyhound racing. While some share the stadium the greyhound stadiums are all owned by council or greyhound companies 

not one speedway owned stadium allows greyhound racing in their stadium. 
I understand your position but speedway promotions are not responsible in this situation.  Although I can see why the two sports seem connected. 
good luck to you 

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2021 at 12:54 PM, JessicaJones said:

There are several options that the council could consider.  I also spoke to the philanthropist who wanted to develop Swindon town centre and he had some ideas too which he was going to put forward to the council.  However, the council didn't seem to want to consider any of them.  

There are standalone speedway tracks here and there are many other uses of a speedway track that could be used to subsidise speedway.  Gaming International have reported a loss in their last set of accounts for 2018 and 2019 so I can't see that greyhound racing as a spectator sport has a future at Swindon.  And to rely on that to subsidise speedway is very short sighted.  Far better to propose alternative uses for the stadium that are more financially viable.

The stadium itself is in a terrible state and it's hard to believe that GI Ltd are going to come good on their promise to redevelop it, especially as they are a loss making company and greyhound racing is in decline in the UK.    

The idea of having a standalone speedway site away from the houses seems like a good one if the fans could raise the money and find a site.

On Facebook, whenever the track is mentioned on local community groups, speedway fans seem to think that it's the speedway that residents object to.  Most residents that have been in touch with us say they don't mind the noise of the speedway and they bought knowing they would have to live with that noise.  It's the noise of the dogs crying during the day as they are kennelled at the back of the stadium that has distressed some local residents and caused them to object, especially now people are working at home during the day. 

Isn't this a condition for GI Ltd to sort out which is always overlooked. I have read that they are supposed to make the site safe or find another suitable venue & replace to a certain standard before a sports team leaves its home. GI Ltd seem to get away with murder as building work always is evident before any of the prior mentioned is sorted & the councils should block this. Torquay FC is always mentioned as an example of GI Ltd's work (or lack of it).

Govt housing targets always affect local council decisions. (The occasional brown envelope also helps too!)

43 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I see that Lee Kilby is now co promoter at Eastbourne.

for this year

13 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

for this year

True for this year and beyond.  

On 4/6/2021 at 8:29 AM, John Scrutton said:

The N.N.N.S.  was built because the council and the M.P. was all for it (i think I'm right)  this is not the case in most other Towns/cities. 

N.N.N.S ? You mean NSS :t:

15 minutes ago, hagonshocker said:

Surely no-one becomes a co-promoter for one year? Swindon continuously tweeting 'on loan' is wearing a bit thin...meanwhile the Rose Tints keep banging on about travelling the country to support 'our riders'....jeez wake up & smell the latte 

Swindon management have know for a long time nothing will be re-vamped or new build they need to be honest to the fans 

15 minutes ago, hagonshocker said:

Surely no-one becomes a co-promoter for one year? Swindon continuously tweeting 'on loan' is wearing a bit thin...meanwhile the Rose Tints keep banging on about travelling the country to support 'our riders'....jeez wake up & smell the latte 

Eastbourne only had one Promoter (Trevor Geer) after Mike Bellerby stepped down and the BSPL says you need two. So Lee fits the bill, perfectly having had a licence at Swindon.

It's good news for Eastbourne and I know no more than I read about Swindon.

Like any genuine speedway fan, I hope Swindon come back in 2022 even if it meant the Eagles losing Lee who appears to have made a cracking start down here on the Sunshine Coast.