British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

Haven’t posted on here for some time but I feel I need to get the views of other Swindon fans; does anybody really believe the Robins will take to the track again at the Abbey Stadium? Read what Jason Doyle said in the Star the other week about Swindon fans needing some reassurance that speedway will return to Blunsdon next year. As per usual Gaming International have resumed their normal stance of total silence regarding anything to do with the redevelopment of the stadium. 
The problem is all through the process of the stadium upgrade GI have displayed very little will or intent that they really want the work to go ahead. 
I feel sorry for Rosco and the owners as I think they’re as much in the dark as the fans. 
I realise this is a bit of a gloomy post but I’m still feeling really disappointed about the closure of Somerset as I was going to go to the Oaktree this year to watch the Rebels in lieu of seeing the Robins.

Is there any sign that work has started at the Abbey? 

3 minutes ago, Gresham78 said:

Haven’t posted on here for some time but I feel I need to get the views of other Swindon fans; does anybody really believe the Robins will take to the track again at the Abbey Stadium? Read what Jason Doyle said in the Star the other week about Swindon fans needing some reassurance that speedway will return to Blunsdon next year. As per usual Gaming International have resumed their normal stance of total silence regarding anything to do with the redevelopment of the stadium. 
The problem is all through the process of the stadium upgrade GI have displayed very little will or intent that they really want the work to go ahead. 
I feel sorry for Rosco and the owners as I think they’re as much in the dark as the fans. 
I realise this is a bit of a gloomy post but I’m still feeling really disappointed about the closure of Somerset as I was going to go to the Oaktree this year to watch the Rebels in lieu of seeing the Robins.

Is there any sign that work has started at the Abbey? 

I drive past 4 times a day, cant see anything at moment. Spoke to one of the main sponsor's, he doesnt think speedway will return there. It's a dying sport, and Covid is killing it off :(

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

Sadly it seems to be going that way. Credit to Rob Godfrey & co for running the Premiership this year but with only 6 teams it’s all looking a bit forlorn.

Im planning to go to Leicester this year sometime - let’s hope the Championship thrives this year..

Personally I think speedway is done in Swindon unfortunately, if there was any intent to build new stadium, would have begun already. 

23 minutes ago, noggin said:

Personally I think speedway is done in Swindon unfortunately, if there was any intent to build new stadium, would have begun already. 

Yep, totally agree. 

• Like 1

And we have a council who, despite being told how it would all play out given the past form of the stadium owners, allowed the houses to be built with zero progress on the stadium. SBC have been played for complete amateurs. Or are complicit in what has gone on. Either way they've had a hand in Swindon losing yet another amenity and source of entertainment. Without shared experiences and reasons for the town to have an identity we are diminished as a community. And it seems to me that the council are just fine with that. Shame on them. And shame on the stadium owners if all of their talk comes to nought but so many lies.

Edited by BuzzCagney
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, BuzzCagney said:

And we have a council who, despite being told how it would all play out given the past form of the stadium owners, allowed the houses to be built with zero progress on the stadium. SBC have been played for complete amateurs. Or are complicit in what has gone on. Either way they've had a hand in Swindon losing yet another amenity and source of entertainment. Without shared experiences and reasons for the town to have an identity we are diminished as a community. And it seems to me that the council are just fine with that. Shame on them. And shame on the stadium owners if all of their talk comes to nought but so many lies.

You really believe what a council would say? 

Politicians = say anything to appease the people. 

The council know exactly what GI's plan is, they're not that stupid

Where did I say I believed them?

No, quite the opposite. I'm attempting to hold them accountable. For all the good it'll do. 

Where is the passion that was shown in 2006? Why aren't we fighting the council and developers? We appear to have rolled over and given up. The long game we always knew they were playing appears to have been successful. 

It might help if the Robins owners could convince us that they really do wish to run next year and there after. Because it really does look as if they've given up too.

Edited by BuzzCagney
  • Like 2

its sad state .. the worst thing is that there is no update from the club on why yet again no work has started .. surely pressure and questions should be  asked and then relayed back to the fans .

Rather than blaming fans for being negative , how about a statement saying  we are fed up with the developers and  can no longer  trust in anything they say about the building of the stadium .. To me we are going down without a fight .. this just lets hope its gets built attitude is not working .

As for the local mp he's been as much use as an ashtray on a speedway bike .

• Like 4

10 hours ago, orion said:

its sad state .. the worst thing is that there is no update from the club on why yet again no work has started .. surely pressure and questions should be  asked and then relayed back to the fans .

Rather than blaming fans for being negative , how about a statement saying  we are fed up with the developers and  can no longer  trust in anything they say about the building of the stadium .. To me we are going down without a fight .. this just lets hope its gets built attitude is not working .

As for the local mp he's been as much use as an ashtray on a speedway bike .

It's a shame they can't replicate the exact dimensions of the current track somewhere as a "training facility" that's ready to move into should the current place close.

The thing is, I guess, that as long as they are being told that the current track is still a going concern, who will take the bull by the horns and do that?

This has been going on for 13 years, so I don't understand why GI, if they really do want to close it down, couldn't have said so years ago and given Swindon plenty of opportunity to get a new place to race for when this one closes. What would they have to gain by not doing that? In fact, it would probably be to their benefit as, if Swindon did get a new place, it would free them up to get rid of this one.

Because of that, I suspect that the "sports only" clause on the current site must be pretty strong.

My guess is we'll be back racing next year in exactly the same state as before and the "new stadium" saga will continue.

Not sure TBH why this is still a thread on this forum. (Still i suppose it is titled Swindon 2020 and not 2022 )  Once the housing is complete, there wil lbe hundreds of homewoners in their lovely new houses signing objections to having a speedway track in thier back yard.  "Terribly sorry" but the planning has been revised for noise complaints.

The "sports facility" wil become a gym for local residents,

35 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Not sure TBH why this is still a thread on this forum. (Still i suppose it is titled Swindon 2020 and not 2022 )  Once the housing is complete, there wil lbe hundreds of homewoners in their lovely new houses signing objections to having a speedway track in thier back yard.  "Terribly sorry" but the planning has been revised for noise complaints.

Just like Rye House.

2 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Or they will put up a dart board in one of the kitchens where the pits used to be.....

Box ticked.....:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i know you post in jest mike but in essence you are very correct sportsonly covenants can be got around pretty easy

• Like 1