British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

If anyone has Instagram then Doyley is live on the Childsy Chat Show tonight at 7pm. He's had Rosco, Anders Rowe and Cory Gathercole on so far so plenty of Swindon connections. Good bit of light hearted entertainment in these depressing times!

4 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

If anyone has Instagram then Doyley is live on the Childsy Chat Show tonight at 7pm. He's had Rosco, Anders Rowe and Cory Gathercole on so far so plenty of Swindon connections. Good bit of light hearted entertainment in these depressing times!

He wasn’t very complimentary about Swindon and how they handled pulling out of the league 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

He wasn’t very complimentary about Swindon and how they handled pulling out of the league 

JD isn't one to hide his feelings though, is he?

• Like 2

we all know how this is going to end up Doyle just confirmed it sadly !! will the management come out with a reply to all this from him ?? not a chance !!

I did wonder about how Jason Doyle felt about this. He did, after all, turn down a team place in Sweden so that he could ride for Swindon, only for us to withdraw from the league a week or so later. It did seem odd that he wasn't informed earlier and it's good that he got a team place in Sweden. With the way the league is being run this year I suspect he may not be back too.

The impression I got (I may be wrong but this is how it came across) is that the decision not to run was made by Terry Russell and Clarke Osbourne. I do wonder if Rosco and Lee Kilby had any say in it too, as I'm sure they both would have run if they could.

I didn't hear Jason's interview, but I hope he didn't find out about it from the media reports rather than actually being informed personally.

14 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

What did he say?

• Like 1

Swindon Fans might be advised to start a "save our speedway" group now to keep an eye on the planning processes of the local Town council and to se how quickly the "build  new speedway track" disappears off the application. Many other groups can ghelp i am sure,  Rye House , Oxford , Coventry to name but three.

The success rate isn't good I have to say.

7 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Swindon Fans might be advised to start a "save our speedway" group now to keep an eye on the planning processes of the local Town council and to se how quickly the "build  new speedway track" disappears off the application. Many other groups can ghelp i am sure,  Rye House , Oxford , Coventry to name but three.

The success rate isn't good I have to say.

indeed !! personally i don't think nothing will be done building wise ?? although it shouldn't take long after the old grandstand and the other stand on back straight are demolished because the new structure is in storage in wales according to swindon management mentioned in may 2017 !! let's see how the honesty unvails from now on and all summer i await with baited breath :unsure:

On the subject of a 'save our speedway' campaign, those of us who are against greyhound racing did ask a year ago for support with the petition that went to the council.  This petition asked them to work with Gaming International to redevelop the stadium without the greyhound racing.  The aim was to ensure the future of the speedway, which is important to the town, end the cruel greyhound racing, and to make the stadium financially viable.  Three greyhound tracks closed in the last year and it doesn't make sense to rely on a declining industry to prop up the speedway.

We didn't get any support from speedway fans and sadly, even though the petition got the required number of signatures to trigger a council debate, they declined to debate it.

In other news, Gaming International, TokLon Ltd - the parent company, and Poole Stadium Ltd, all with Clarke Osborne as a director, are now over a month late in filing their accounts at Companies House for 2019.  Companies were given an extra three months to file their accounts last year because of the pandemic.  Originally they were due at the end of September and then the deadline was put back to the end of December. As of today, all three are late in filing.  They will be fined for this, it is not a good look for a company, and it could affect their ability to get loans and credit.  

Having seen the stadium up close a few months ago, I was shocked at how decrepit the place is.  It will need several million to be spend on it to make it half decent.  Does anyone on this thread really think that Gaming International either want to do that or are going to be in position financially to do it?  

Edited by JessicaJones

Meanwhile Clarke Osborne has had time to set up two other companies, one of which is registered at the Abbey Stadium and which is described as a software development company.  

Edited by JessicaJones

On 2/4/2021 at 1:14 PM, JessicaJones said:

On the subject of a 'save our speedway' campaign, those of us who are against greyhound racing did ask a year ago for support with the petition that went to the council.  This petition asked them to work with Gaming International to redevelop the stadium without the greyhound racing.  The aim was to ensure the future of the speedway, which is important to the town, end the cruel greyhound racing, and to make the stadium financially viable.  Three greyhound tracks closed in the last year and it doesn't make sense to rely on a declining industry to prop up the speedway.

We didn't get any support from speedway fans and sadly, even though the petition got the required number of signatures to trigger a council debate, they declined to debate it.

In other news, Gaming International, TokLon Ltd - the parent company, and Poole Stadium Ltd, all with Clarke Osborne as a director, are now over a month late in filing their accounts at Companies House for 2019.  Companies were given an extra three months to file their accounts last year because of the pandemic.  Originally they were due at the end of September and then the deadline was put back to the end of December. As of today, all three are late in filing.  They will be fined for this, it is not a good look for a company, and it could affect their ability to get loans and credit.  

Having seen the stadium up close a few months ago, I was shocked at how decrepit the place is.  It will need several million to be spend on it to make it half decent.  Does anyone on this thread really think that Gaming International either want to do that or are going to be in position financially to do it?  

Just for clarity Poole stadium and Swindon are different in that Poole Stadium is owned by the Council and currently leased to Stadia UK who are also running the car park and the nursery under the 'old' main grandstand.  They have stopped greyhounds permanently though!!

Edited by Skidder1

21 hours ago, JessicaJones said:

Jessica

I absolutely respect your passion for animal welfare and make no excuses for the worst excesses of some Greyhound Racing Stadia and exponents.

The issue though for Speedway, certainly at my home track and others, is that if there was no Dog Racing, there would be absolutely no chance of Speedway, as the Dog revenues from betting and functions and hospitality dwarfs that of income from speedway rent and similar hospitality.

Perry Barr operates 4-5-6 days a week in normal times and probably makes more in 2-3 days than a season of speedway.

It's a difficult case therefore to support your efforts agree or not as actually, we'd be killing out own sport.

Hi @HGould
We put forward a petition to the council that asked them to consider other uses for the stadium that don't involve animal exploitation and that would make the stadium financially viable.  To support the petition, we sent a 35 page report to every councillor suggesting other uses that would secure the future of the track.  I asked for support on here and got none from the speedway community.

Three greyhound stadiums have closed in the last year.  It's a dying industry.  So the irony is that relying on dog racing is more likely to hasten the end of speedway tracks too.  I made that point on here last year and, again, got no support.  Our position could have been win-win.  We could have put pressure on the council to end the greyhound racing and asked them to work with GI to develop the stadium for other uses and that would have helped the speedway team.

In terms of making money to support the speedway, Gaming International lost money in its last set of accounts - available from 2018.  They state in those accounts that their lenders are reluctant to lend the money for the new stadium and, if they can't secure that, their future as a going concern is at risk.  They obviously aren't making money from spectators now and are getting income from streaming the races but, when you consider how much that is compared to the amount they would get for developing the land another way, I find it hard to believe that they would want to continue with a greyhound and speedway track.  As their accounts for 2019 are now over a month late, they're not helping their credit rating either.  

I understand your position of wanting to keep your sport going.  However, are you sure that other uses for speedway stadiums can't be found that don't result in the deaths of around 1,000 dogs per year and the injuries of nearly 5,000 (these are the industry's own figures)?  Are you really so keen to keep your sport going at any cost that the deaths and injuries of dogs is just collateral damage?  If it was used for bullfighting during the week instead to keep the speedway going would that be ok?  I watched a video that was streamed on a Coral site the other day of a dog that was racing, crashed into the other dogs, and it broke a leg.  It was screaming in pain.  Not an eyelid batted by the presenter.  

Edited by JessicaJones

Major league racing exists in 3 other countries, Poland Sweden and Denmark. In all these countries their stadiums are used purely for speedway which in the U.K. is a luxury the majority of owners can’t afford.

The number of dog tracks used for speedway has rapidly declined as they have been redeveloped most were built in City centres and are prime-redevelopment sites. The remaining are in such poor condition with outdated facilities people are starting to vote with their feet.

There will be a time when dogs will be gone but speedway, as we currently know it will also be gone sadly.