British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Vince said:

I think Kelvin Tatum and David Norris would be the dream ticket!

However seemingly unlike most I do think that Nigel Pearson and Kelvin Tatum are excellent, I also think Keith Heuwen was very good and David Rowe is good too, unfortunately Sam Ermolenko, as knowledgeable as he is, in my opinion is awful on commentary.

David Norris that is just a name from the distant past ... An irrelevance today despite his comedic value 15 years ago.

And Keith Huewen ... I just despair ...

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

Huewan was very good at studio presenting but can't remember him commentating (not saying he didnt)

Could bring back Jonathan Green for the pit interviews too...... ;)

I think the combination of his poor commentary, lazy knowledge base, and his sheer desire to bleed money from our sport at every turn, Getting Nigel Pearson out the commentary seat would be akin to speedway getting its own bank holiday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

David Norris that is just a name from the distant past ... An irrelevance today despite his comedic value 15 years ago.

i think the public loved Dave Norris . sadly him not being pc (what the fans loved )was his downfall

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, teaboy279 said:

Huewan was very good at studio presenting but can't remember him commentating (not saying he didnt)

I think the combination of his poor commentary, lazy knowledge base, and his sheer desire to bleed money from our sport at every turn, Getting Nigel Pearson out the commentary seat would be akin to speedway getting its own bank holiday.

If I recall the commentator at the start of SKY's interest in speedway was Eastbourne announcer Tony Millard?

1 hour ago, teaboy279 said:

That's all I remember him doing and I also thought he was very good at it. Got across the respect I've found that racers from other motorcycle disciplines have for Speedway, it's only their fans talk about 'going around in circles, the riders understand the skills required.

2 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Don't see how as a very knowledgeable and experienced Speedway rider his views are irrelevant. His comedic value was much appreciated when he was behind the microphone, in my house anyway.

1 hour ago, orion said:

i think the public loved Dave Norris . sadly him not being pc (what the fans loved )was his downfall

That's probably a good point, it would be a risk!

15 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

If I recall the commentator at the start of SKY's interest in speedway was Eastbourne announcer Tony Millard?

HE was much more than just the Eastbourne announcer. Did a lot of radio work including the BBC and was for a number of years involved with Brighton and Hove Albion. Had his critics and was prone to the occasional gaff but had more pros than cons in my view.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HE was much more than just the Eastbourne announcer. Did a lot of radio work including the BBC and was for a number of years involved with Brighton and Hove Albion. Had his critics and was prone to the occasional gaff but had more pros than cons in my view.

...if I remember he also ran the speedway results service that you could access by phone? I know that Dave Lanning wasn't a great fan of his commentary style but then Dave had his critics!

Millard said the same things every race .. As the start marshall walks away and the tapes fly up ... the battle is joined etc .. and saying from what city a rider came from 

11 minutes ago, orion said:

Millard said the same things every race .. As the start marshall walks away and the tapes fly up ... the battle is joined etc .. and saying from what city a rider came from 

And " tailed off at the back" when he was just about to pass 3rd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

And " tailed off at the back" when he was just about to pass 3rd.

Do you remember where Adam Shields came from or where Jason Crump was born 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Was Keith Heuwan not closely related to Alan Cowland.

3 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Was Keith Heuwan not closely related to Alan Cowland.

Yes. Alan Cowland was Keith's Uncle. 

14 hours ago, orion said:

Steve 'Jonno' Johnson was great fun too.....

12 hours ago, orion said:

Do you remember where Adam Shields came from or where Jason Crump was born 

What about Bo-Hummel Bre-hell?

• Haha 2