British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sancho

AGM

3 hours ago, chunky said:

I do appreciate your input. I enjoy a bit of banter, but sometimes - like today - it was a little much. Sorry...

I've made the same mistake too often. Don't be discouraged, you talk sense and make very relevant posts. Too many here just out to tear others down rather than help speedway. Egos can be terrible things. 

• Like 1

I have heard of Barry Briggs, you might say that.  One of my uncles, after many years of hearing me prattle on about speedway (guilty), one day out of the blue said "Did I ever mention I used to watch speedway, at Wimbledon when I worked in London, someone called Barry Briggs rode for them".  No, he hadn't....

Edited by martinmauger
alledged improved grammar

My hopes on the AGM

1. A limit to the number of team changes each can make per year. This year was ridiculous. 

2. Limit double up to British riders and foreigners who only race in the UK only.

3. Return the 3rd tier to a development league that pays only the basic pay rate (thus encouraging first and second tier venues to track a second team).

4. Have The Championship have more league fixtures and get rid of the Shield (give each club a more predictable number of fixtures, 10 league home matches is too low).

Just my thoughts. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SteveEvans said:

My hopes on the AGM

1. A limit to the number of team changes each can make per year. This year was ridiculous. 

2. Limit double up to British riders and foreigners who only race in the UK only.

3. Return the 3rd tier to a development league that pays only the basic pay rate (thus encouraging first and second tier venues to track a second team).

4. Have The Championship have more league fixtures and get rid of the Shield (give each club a more predictable number of fixtures, 10 league home matches is too low).

Just my thoughts. 

No2 in particular would be a massive move forward when planning in fixtures..

Let's be honest, doubling up is there for the riders to justify their outlay on kit and to make money, rather than a 'necessary evil' .

Teams could simply reduce how many riders were in a team if it was simply down to there not being enough to go round, and at the same time putting clear demarcation between the league standards for progession purposes..

Therefore, it looks like it's here to stay and with FRN in situ both leagues should be able to run a regular and consistent fixture list if they only allowed DU'ing to those not riding in leagues outside of the UK..

In short. DU'ing means riders can earn more money and that's fine. However it shouldn't impact fixture planning by the teams as this impacts attendances.

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:28 PM, moxey63 said:

Not being funny, and don't want to be arrested (again) for questioning. But usually, this topic is bouncing by now. The thread is over a day old and yet is struggling to generate much interest and is limping along like a rider's sick bike who's been advised to drop his average and go as slow as possible.

Perhaps there might be another thread?

You don't have to point that out, no one laughed, or laughs at your contribution as your wit is as sharp as the utter dildo you are. 

re number of posts on here etc , it's because people have found other platforms to post on because this forum is predominantly packed with d ick heads (like you) who don't actually talk about the product as it is now, or what it has been for the last 20 years but instead tragically dwell on things from the past in some weird attempt to drag people down to your level of sadness and need for someone, just anyone to engage with them you tragic, tragic twit. 

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan
  • Like 1

Oop's I will come back later in hope that someone wants to talk about speedway.

• Like 4

yes, i miss the one or two friends I have made here who have decided to move on because of the personal attacks. 

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

No2 in particular would be a massive move forward when planning in fixtures..

Let's be honest, doubling up is there for the riders to justify their outlay on kit and to make money, rather than a 'necessary evil' .

Teams could simply reduce how many riders were in a team if it was simply down to there not being enough to go round, and at the same time putting clear demarcation between the league standards for progession purposes..

Therefore, it looks like it's here to stay and with FRN in situ both leagues should be able to run a regular and consistent fixture list if they only allowed DU'ing to those not riding in leagues outside of the UK..

In short. DU'ing means riders can earn more money and that's fine. However it shouldn't impact fixture planning by the teams as this impacts attendances.

Ok, I’m being thick now but, other than a couple of minor problems during the play offs, were there any other problems with doubling up in 2019? I thought the whole point of fixed race nights, whereby PL had Mondays and Thursdays, and CL had every other night, was to avoid these clashes. 
Also, why do people get upset about riders doubling up in UK when surely any rider who rides more than one league (whether that’s in one country or more) is effectively doubling up?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Also, why do people get upset about riders doubling up in UK when surely any rider who rides more than one league (whether that’s in one country or more) is effectively doubling up?

I don't understand it either. We had "doubling up" years ago, and nobody complained, yet now, there are those who want to use it as one of the main problems with the sport.

• Like 1

It was an issue when race nights clashed between the leagues but now we have fixed race nights for the top league it’s really not. 

• Like 2

People say today's doubling up isn't any different to the past.

But when doubling up in the past happened, it was normally by riders affiliated to the club they were doubling up with.

I have read Andy Grahame mentioned back when he doubled up with Milton Keynes and Birmingham in 1979. But he actually transferred his full-time career for the Brummies shortly after that. 

Nowadays there is no affinity between riders, clubs and fans. As one rider said, they are self-employed and will take any job they're offered. The sport is there simply to pay riders mortgages than to form fan affiliation.

That is no good when you expect fans to be attracted because it's a team sport.

Another problem is riders admitting they have joined your club because it fits in with their other commitments.

It is clear to see. Teams are built for the now, without an eye on the future. Fans are now brought up living for that season Play-Off push, and then teams all start again without trying to build a bond and establishing teams for the future. You may as well throw the riders' names in the air right now and see where they land for next season.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

People say today's doubling up isn't any different to the past.

But when doubling up in the past happened, it was normally by riders affiliated to the club they were doubling up with.

I have read Andy Grahame mentioned back when he doubled up with Milton Keynes and Birmingham in 1979. But he actually transferred his full-time career for the Brummies shortly after that. 

Nowadays there is no affinity between riders, clubs and fans. As one rider said, they are self-employed and will take any job they're offered. The sport is there simply to pay riders mortgages than to form fan affiliation.

That is no good when you expect fans to be attracted because it's a team sport.

Another problem is riders admitting they have joined your club because it fits in with their other commitments.

It is clear to see. Teams are built for the now, without an eye on the future. Fans are now brought up living for that season Play-Off push, and then teams all start again without trying to build a bond and establishing teams for the future. You may as well throw the riders' names in the air right now and see where they land for next season.

...and as I've mentioned so many times in the past Oxford's connection with both Eastbourne and Peterbrough drew tremendous dividends and it continued when the "Rebels' moved to Wood Lane.

• Like 2

As someone who used to go to speedway, I often think if I'd ever return to the terraces. I know Belle Vue have a new exciting track and have yet to make my first visit to it.

But in the past I have gone to watch the team, its riders, rather than the racing itself. There is nothing to attract me to support either team or riders in it. I know the racing is good, but there has to be more than that. Who will I wish to do well, feeling they are part of me, part of wishing for the next match to come so they can have a good match. They have a good match and I feel better for it.  

The real problem with doubling up came in the early 2000s, I think the time promoters stopped being energised into finding new talent. I recall Belle Vue and Workington having a bit of a conflict when both clubs wanted to use Workington's top man, the top man wanted to ride for both clubs, because he had the best of both worlds. It was no longer what was important for the club, for the fan, but how many extra meetings that rider could cram in.

The only way I would return to the terraces will be the day the sport encourages it to be the team sport I fell for.

9 minutes ago, steveroberts said:

...and as I've mentioned so many times in the past Oxford's connection with both Eastbourne and Peterbrough drew tremendous dividends and it continued when the "Rebels' moved to Wood Lane.

I was just thinking of the 70s at Belle Vue. We had Les Collins, Chris Turner, Jim Brett, etc doubling up. But they were riding in the second division with the intent of moving into the Aces' team a year or tow later.  

• Like 1