British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sancho

AGM

9 hours ago, SteveEvans said:

My hopes on the AGM

1. A limit to the number of team changes each can make per year. This year was ridiculous. 

2. Limit double up to British riders and foreigners who only race in the UK only.

3. Return the 3rd tier to a development league that pays only the basic pay rate (thus encouraging first and second tier venues to track a second team).

4. Have The Championship have more league fixtures and get rid of the Shield (give each club a more predictable number of fixtures, 10 league home matches is too low).

Just my thoughts. 

Like 1 as it would give riders some security.  Unless genuine injury means changes have to be made for 7 riders its a good idea.    And 2 is good but would it be restraint of trade for overseas riders or stop them taking employment half way through a season when injury strikes ?.    

it won't be restraint of trade after Brexit - people seem to be ignoring there'll be no free movement of Danes, Germans, etc 

21 minutes ago, ch958 said:

it won't be restraint of trade after Brexit - people seem to be ignoring there'll be no free movement of Danes, Germans, etc 

The talk is about next season !!! Even if the UK leave without a deal on January 31st, freedom of movement doesn't stop. Not for next season anyway. And if there is a deal, do we know when freedom of movement will stop?

After Brexit, EU citizens who move to the UK will be able to apply for a 36 month temporary immigration status - European Temporary Leave to Remain (Euro TLR).

Applications to the new Euro TLR scheme will be simple and free and will be made after arrival in the UK. There will be no need for EU citizens travelling to the UK after Brexit to make any special arrangements in advance.

EU citizens entering the UK after Brexit

Free movement as it currently stands under EU law will end on 31 January 2020. However, Parliament has provided that much of the free movement framework will remain in place under the EU (Withdrawal) Act 2018 until Parliament passes primary legislation to repeal it. Ahead of that, the government will introduce some specific changes, reflecting that we are no longer part of the EU, to increase security and better protect the UK public. We will:

• keep out and deport more EU citizens who commit crimes by applying tougher UK criminality thresholds at the border and also when crimes are committed in the UK
  • remove the blue EU customs channel, requiring all travellers to make a customs declaration by choosing either the green or red channel
  • remove the rights for post-exit arrivals to acquire permanent residence under retained EU law, and the rights for UK nationals who move to the EU after exit to return with their family members without meeting UK family immigration rules
  • introduce blue UK passports starting from the end of the year as a symbol of our new, sovereign identity

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

As someone who used to go to speedway, I often think if I'd ever return to the terraces. I know Belle Vue have a new exciting track and have yet to make my first visit to it.

But in the past I have gone to watch the team, its riders, rather than the racing itself. There is nothing to attract me to support either team or riders in it. I know the racing is good, but there has to be more than that. Who will I wish to do well, feeling they are part of me, part of wishing for the next match to come so they can have a good match. They have a good match and I feel better for it.  

The real problem with doubling up came in the early 2000s, I think the time promoters stopped being energised into finding new talent. I recall Belle Vue and Workington having a bit of a conflict when both clubs wanted to use Workington's top man, the top man wanted to ride for both clubs, because he had the best of both worlds. It was no longer what was important for the club, for the fan, but how many extra meetings that rider could cram in.

The only way I would return to the terraces will be the day the sport encourages it to be the team sport I fell for.

I dunno what the riders think exactly but I know many Stars fans feel an affiliation towards our riders ........

Amazing that no news has been leaked yet!

Speedwaygb said news will be released today.

IT’S AGM WEEK

We will bring you all the news and reaction on Friday...

Edited by DC2

9 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Amazing that no news has been leaked yet!

Speedwaygb said news will be released today.

IT’S AGM WEEK

We will bring you all the news and reaction on Friday...

They can't bring All the.news and reaction until the agm is finished!!

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

They can't bring All the.news and reaction until the agm is finished!!

Or, as they used to say on Rowan & martin, "Now here's the man for whom the news wouldn't be the news without the news"

I'm still undecided if it will be an announcement of a new "five year plan" or a change of league name? It wouldn't be Speedway if the rumours didn't preceed the Papal smoke from the BSPA chimney!

Custard creams have run out and now only have rich tea left to dunk with. BIG decesion now... go and buy new biscuits or finish the AGM now... :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stevec said:

I just hope they bring the green helmet colour back.

where do you sit on the crucial issue of yellow helmet or yellow and black helmet 

10 minutes ago, dabbsjoe said:

where do you sit on the crucial issue of yellow helmet or yellow and black helmet 

Obviously 'green.'

Shock news in from the AGM:

In a major announcement Matt Ford has agreed a deal for the sale of Poole Speedway.

Grinning from ear to ear, a half-baked Matt said, “After a year with no one coming forward I was beginning to think that there are no fools out there, but I am pleased to announce that Jeremy Corbyn has taken over the club with immediate effect in return for a year’s free broadband subscription, and he will build upon my success of the last few months”.

The team will be called Team GB and it will retain the seven foreign riders that rode for Poole last year in an effort to encourage more home grown talent from abroad.

Matt also thanked Jeremy for his advice on the recent Poole “PL v CL referendum”, agreeing that the 10% CL vote should be honoured.

And finally he thanked John McDonnell, the new director of finance, and his ground-breaking plan to offer free admission and run the club for as long as possible.

”We hope to get to heat ten of the first meeting”, beamed John. “That would be a result!”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, dabbsjoe said:

yellow

22 hours ago, stevec said:

yellow

Has to be Yellow/ Black quarters easily seen.

Will the AGM give us BREAKING NEWS to fix our beloved sport - or more than likely something nearer to BREAKING WIND!.... same old news..

Edited by Ghosty