British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sancho

AGM

1 hour ago, Jonny the spud said:

Do the promotions  really listen ?

I remember about 7 years ago when Adam started riding in the UK one of these “how do we gauge public opinion” threads came up on here and I suggested a simple questionaire slipped into a program and a suggestion box near the exit. 

Most if not all people who buy a program have a pen (or can borrow one). A few questions filled in with their contact details at the end isn’t the hardest thing in the world. 

1, you know really what the punters think and can maybe act on some of the suggestions 

2, with their contact details you straight away have a database where you can contact people with offers etc. 

its really not that hard eh ? 

I remember filling in a questionaire once at Cowley however one time Oxford Promoter, Steve Purchase, would often make himself available on the terraces mingling with fans gauging their views.

problem is, the questions need to be asked of the people not there. I've put this forward countless times but if you offered free tickets in return for email addresses or mobile numbers you would be able to contact both your existing customers and anyone with enough interest to take a free ticket. You could then inform them, advertise to them and generally involve them. I. mean this is like marketing 101, the basics.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ch958 said:

problem is, the questions need to be asked of the people not there. I've put this forward countless times but if you offered free tickets in return for email addresses or mobile numbers you would be able to contact both your existing customers and anyone with enough interest to take a free ticket. You could then inform them, advertise to them and generally involve them. I. mean this is like marketing 101, the basics.

Assuming of course they consent and do not opt out under the GDPR regulations

45 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I remember filling in a questionaire once at Cowley however one time Oxford Promoter, Steve Purchase, would often make himself available on the terraces mingling with fans gauging their views.

Barry Bishop does that every week and I have seen Adrian Smith do it, too :approve:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Has to be Yellow/ Black quarters easily seen.

Will the AGM give us BREAKING NEWS to fix our beloved sport - or more than likely something nearer to BREAKING WIND!.... same old news..

I hope the AGM have addressed the farcical double-up situation where your very own 1 to 7 are all riding for different U.K. teams the following night! this has gone completely out of control & unless addressed our sport will never have any mainstream credibility.   

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Assuming of course they consent and do not opt out under the GDPR regulations

to be fair they could block messages at any time but most people, even the vaguely interested wouldn't mind getting info and offers from time to time. Lets be honest you have to actually look for information about fixtures, etc - they're not going to preview it on the news and its hardly in the papers whereas an email or text may prompt.

30 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

I hope the AGM have addressed the farcical double-up situation where your very own 1 to 7 are all riding for different U.K. teams the following night! this has gone completely out of control & unless addressed our sport will never have any mainstream credibility.   

Doubling up is not an issue.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, DC2 said:

It may not be with the people who think it's not an issue.

The people who have an issue with it might be part of the missing fans.

Nobody has asked to find out.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

I wrote down a system earlier in the year & it was based on Grades of A(3) B(2) & C(1). Teams are made up of a 6 man team but a 7 man squad. The team has a maximum limit of 12.

This gives teams 3 x A + 3 x C,      2 x A + 2 x B + 2 x C,    1 x A + 4 x B + 1 x C,     6 x B

The team also has a maximum average of 36 so no team is getting the top average rider in the grades.

With this system, though, riders get 5 rides on average so the riders average would have to be per ride making an average between 0 & 3. The team average for this system would be 10.

The 7th(squad) rider can be any graded rider but is used for injuries & unavailability ( riding in other countries) only. When used the maximum of grade & team average must be applied.

Any riders not picked in the initial declarations go in to a "Guest Pot". These riders, also, have grades & averages. A "guest" cannot turn out for any team, in any competition, more than 4 times.

This gives more teams a rider identity & removes the use of guests from other teams.    

36 minutes ago, DC2 said:

You must be a blinkered promoter or a deluded fan.........However I think Swindon were one of the less affected teams in 2019 with ONLY 4? of your riders also members of other U.K. teams! but you did have Ellis Perks who was somehow allowed to ride for 3 U.K. teams.

3 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

Do the promotions  really listen ?

There are some that do.
Eastbourne have been very proactive in seeking opinions throughout the year and I have always been able to speak to Ian Jordan after a meeting. They have recently concluded a 21 question survey on their website, with over 300 responses.

I guess it can also be argued that the Poole promotion have listened to the majority of their supporters in making the move to the Championship league.

17 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

You must be a blinkered promoter or a deluded fan.........However I think Swindon were one of the less affected teams in 2019 with ONLY 4? of your riders also members of other U.K. teams! but you did have Ellis Perks who was somehow allowed to ride for 3 U.K. teams.

Not bothered at all.

I quite like seeing what Swindon’s riders can do in other leagues.

Can’t see the slightest problem as long as the turn up for Swindon and do their best.

Fixed race nights removed any clashes.

• Like 1

Just now, woofers said:

There are some that do.
Eastbourne have been very proactive in seeking opinions throughout the year and I have always been able to speak to Ian Jordan after a meeting. They have recently concluded a 21 question survey on their website, with over 300 responses.

I guess it can also be argued that the Poole promotion have listened to the majority of their supporters in making the move to the Championship league.

LOL quite the opposite. A few said they would still support a CL team so Poole took that as an endorsement!

6 minutes ago, DC2 said:

LOL quite the opposite. A few said they would still support a CL team so Poole took that as an endorsement!

Well I’ll admit that I was guessing, and for some reason you are laughing, so maybe you can quote the numbers?

But from the official Poole website - "The response was immense and overall very supportive towards moving to the lower league.“

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ch958 said:

I think the ever growing swathes of empty spaces in the stadiums provide a lot of data based feedback all by themselves..

As said before, the Promoters will know the reasons but simply cannot fix them without a radical overhaul of its complete operating model and business plan..

And that isn't on anyone's agenda any time soon I would think..

• Like 1