British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sancho

AGM

3 hours ago, Ghosty said:

You must be a blinkered promoter or a deluded fan.........However I think Swindon were one of the less affected teams in 2019 with ONLY 4? of your riders also members of other U.K. teams! but you did have Ellis Perks who was somehow allowed to ride for 3 U.K. teams.

Could you tell me why doubling up is a problem?

6 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I'm with you...

3 hours ago, DC2 said:

The problem as I see it is that fans & sponsors have lost the feeling that the 7 riders representing your club are yours. We have almost completely lost this connection. Most if not all of 2019 championship teams consisted of 7 riders that also represented another U.K. team. This is also a huge problem with credibility when trying to convince newcomers to support our sport. Equally wholesale team changes during the season do the sport great harm as do the huge changes season on season.

Question: As a sponsor would I buy rider X (my local team favorite) a new bike, only for it to be used while riding for another team? NO.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, mikebv said:

I think the ever growing swathes of empty spaces in the stadiums provide a lot of data based feedback all by themselves..

As said before, the Promoters will know the reasons but simply cannot fix them without a radical overhaul of its complete operating model and business plan..

And that isn't on anyone's agenda any time soon I would think..

I'm not convinced the promoters do know the reasons. 

7 hours ago, DC2 said:

Answer that yourself as a fan. Forget the logistics and the statistics for the sport.

Think like a fan. 

If you do, you will have the answer.

• Like 1

Like I said in a previous post. The sport is gone here. 

It's not about evolving anymore. It's not about how to get better.

It's become so bad, it's now about how to keep it going for one more season.

That is not a plan which will ever work.

The sport is losing fans. Losing clubs. Those two things are massive. 

It's done.

58 minutes ago, acef said:

I'm not convinced the promoters do know the reasons. 

They have to..

Newcastle are a classic example of all that is wrong..

Riding on a Sunday (a key day for leisure time) should be a 'shoe in' for such a unique an entertainment as Speedway. .

Especially as that club has had some of the finest riders of all time representing them so have an incredible history..

Instead,  as a Sunday track they must have had nightmares trying to ensure riders turn up, given Sunday has become such a key day for all three Pro leagues in Poland with so many UK contracted riders competing in them..

When Poland became the 'be all and end all' the UK should have just pulled up the drawer-bridge and gone alone...

Instead it went done the path of 'fudge' and 'appeasement'. A subservient "We will work around you" became the mission statement..

Newcastle must have god knows how many difficult variables when trying to get a meeting on. Will their own No1 be available? Or will their opponents No1 be available? And if not, do they run? Or do they run with guests which makes the meeting somewhat contrived? 

Either way the fans (the life blood of the sport) and therefore the club, lose out..

Clubs should just be able to publicise a fixture list, and then market it, safe in the knowledge that all riders will be there, which then ensures a decent crowd can turn up safe in the knowledge they won't feel short changed. ..

UK Speedway should set it's stall out and say "this is us", and build to whatever level it can. On days and nights fans want to (and can) attend..

And not bother about the wider Speedway world as they at the moment play on another level..

Four lads of similar ability per race, with a decent off track entertainment package, at a reasonable value for money admission fee, will tick a lot of boxes for a great many British Speedway fans, (both regulars and, more importantly maybe, non regulars).

Promoters, who are business men and women in their own right, must know that surely?

As lets be honest, it is very, very basic..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, DC2 said:

Fixed race nights.

To ensure that riders can double up, leagues have to ride on different nights and that has meant that some have had to change the traditional one for racing.

It genuinely does surprise just how much that affects attendances, but Rye House closed down as  a result, Sheffield went up for sale and Poole dropped out of a league that have graced for decades. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, DC2 said:

Doubling up is not an issue.

Not now the race night issue has been addressed. Doubling up is way down speedways list of problems. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Not now the race night issue has been addressed. Doubling up is way down speedways list of problems. 

But fixed race nights are way up it! Doubling up removes much of the sport's credibility, you see a three quarters empty and decaying stadium on TV and Pearson busily telling everyone how many teams each rider will be riding for this week, It's just Mickey Mouse stuff.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, foamfence said:

But fixed race nights are way up it! Doubling up removes much of the sport's credibility, you see a three quarters empty and decaying stadium on TV and Pearson busily telling everyone how many teams each rider will be riding for this week, It's just Mickey Mouse stuff.

Loads of reasons ahead of doubling up why speedway is where it is ie poor racing, poor stadia, too expensive etc. I don’t believe doubling up really matters to many people and certainly doesn’t have anything to do with attracting new customers. I accept that fixed race night has had a negative affect on a few tracks but IMO they are essential if people want to avoid fixture clashes both in the UK and abroad. You simply can’t have riders needing to be in two places on the same night like we’ve had before. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Loads of reasons ahead of doubling up why speedway is where it is ie poor racing, poor stadia, too expensive etc. I don’t believe doubling up really matters to many people and certainly doesn’t have anything to do with attracting new customers. I accept that fixed race night has had a negative affect on a few tracks but IMO they are essential if people want to avoid fixture clashes both in the UK and abroad. You simply can’t have riders needing to be in two places on the same night like we’ve had before. 

Doubling up matters to me but I respect your opinion.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, foamfence said:

Doubling up matters to me but I respect your opinion.

And I respect yours. Who do you support out of interest? 

I’m a Lynn fan and at various points last season Cook, Riss, Jorgensen, MPT, Proctor, Andersen, S Lambert and Kerr all had teams in the Championship and I can honestly say that it didn’t make me see them any differently in terms of a team representing my club. 

• Thanks 1

Sharing riders does  restrict your 'opening hours' as you have to follow the FRN's allocated to you rather than have the autonomy as to when best for you to run to suit your customer base..

Too many team places? Not enough riders? Costs so high so riders need more rides? Too many Professional riders? Promoters wanting to run at too high a level for their income? 

All things that mean 'double upping' is here to stay I would suggest unless the reasons for it are sorted..

And that won't happen any time soon.

From a 'credibility' point of view I don't think it has too much impact.

When you can borrow your biggest rival's best rider for a night, as and when you like, then sharing an employee with another team in a different league isn't going to harm the sport too much..