British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sancho

AGM

I'm shocked looking at NL or junior teams how many decent prospects scoring well then appear to have quit. I wonder if lack of opportunity to progress to div 2 is one of the reasons, owing to the strength of d2 dicision these days. 

9 minutes ago, ch958 said:

I'm shocked looking at NL or junior teams how many decent prospects scoring well then appear to have quit. I wonder if lack of opportunity to progress to div 2 is one of the reasons, owing to the strength of d2 dicision these days. 

Lack of opportunity is certainly a factor, as is cost, look at the equipment some of these beginners have, I can remember the day when some internationals turned up with one bike on a rack on the back of the car. It's good that we now have more opportunities for under age riders but a young bloke should be able to afford to race and many can't.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DC2 said:

It doesn’t matter if it’s old fans coming back or new fans coming for the first time; if the racing is rubbish they won’t come again.

Swindon bit the bullet, redesigned their track and the racing has improved.

Every track that currently doesn’t work needs to do that.

But we have had live speedway on TV for 25 years now and the crowds are what they are today.

Where are the new fans from all those hours of free publicity?

• Like 3

On 11/11/2019 at 1:51 PM, sancho said:

When it's said Swindon bite the bullet and re shaped,,, they had no choice did they if they wanted speedway to continue at that venue. 

Didn't mean to quote, didn't know how to get rid

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, acef said:

Valid points but immaterial to be frank. It's not up to the fans to sort out the shambles that is speedway, that bit is down to the promoters.

I also can't agree that the sport is run for the riders. Costs are getting higher YOY and many barely make a profit. The real money is at the top of the sport and that will naturally force the bottom end even further out.

The costs remain largely the same.

On the first point, you are absolutely right. But there are so many on here who think they have all the ideas, only they don't.

And as I said, the crucial point is that while they are very happy to speculate with others money they won't risk a penny of their own.

On the second point, I can't be certain of how much money riders make or don't make although be very surprised if any rider doubling up between the Premiership and the Championship 'barely makes a profit'. Very surprised indeed.

I consider that uncontrolled doubling up is a blight on the sport in this country and we only have it so that riders can double their earnings. Because of that we have fixed race nights, and that has closed one club (Rye House) put another up for sale (Sheffield) and meant that a third (Poole) has had to drop out of a league which they have pretty much dominated. 

Riders demand that tracks are prepared how they want them, not what is best for the spectator and thus the sport itself.

Its little wonder that in a facebook post recently Gordon Pairman said that while fans point fingers at promoters for the sports financial difficulties, riders are to blame. I don't totally agree, but he has a point.  

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

On the first point, you are absolutely right. But there are so many on here who think they have all the ideas, only they don't.

And as I said, the crucial point is that while they are very happy to speculate with others money they won't risk a penny of their own.

On the second point, I can't be certain of how much money riders make or don't make although be very surprised if any rider doubling up between the Premiership and the Championship 'barely makes a profit'. Very surprised indeed.

I consider that uncontrolled doubling up is a blight on the sport in this country and we only have it so that riders can double their earnings. Because of that we have fixed race nights, and that has closed one club (Rye House) put another up for sale (Sheffield) and meant that a third (Poole) has had to drop out of a league which they have pretty much dominated. 

Riders demand that tracks are prepared how they want them, not what is best for the spectator and thus the sport itself.

Its little wonder that in a facebook post recently Gordon Pairman said that while fans point fingers at promoters for the sports financial difficulties, riders are to blame. I don't totally agree, but he has a point.  

There are varying degrees of earnings through the sport so it's difficult to come to a concrete conclusion. 

I can vouch for 2 riders who made a loss last season. If it wasn't for sponsorship, they wouldn't have been racing.

2 hours ago, moxey63 said:

But we have had live speedway on TV for 25 years now and the crowds are what they are today.

Where are the new fans from all those hours of free publicity?

That’s my point. 

Some of the tracks have been rubbish.

You can normally discount the first twelve heats in most GPS as rubbish racing with one line on the inside and as speedway’s showcase they should be the best prepared tracks in the world.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DC2 said:

That’s my point. 

Some of the tracks have been rubbish.

You can normally discount the first twelve heats in most GPS as rubbish racing with one line on the inside and as speedway’s showcase they should be the best prepared tracks in the world.

The organisers of the GPs don't care either, just as long as some company is paying them so they make their profit ....

21 hours ago, lewy said:

Total joke of management committee and chairman self interest at it's best,should be ashamed of themselves !!!

REALLY There is a clue in the name Speedway Promoters !! Of course its self interest these people are sinking Thousands of pounds into the promotion Would you not be SELF Interested !! i bloody would I for one dont blame Keith Chapman for packing it in If i were him i would  

On 11/17/2019 at 10:17 AM, Piotr Pyszny said:

Problem is, it's very difficult to ascertain the views of former fans who have voted with their feet over the last three decades.

Speedway's existing, year-on-year declining audience won't keep the sport alive.

It needs to reach out to former fans (extremely difficult to win back once the habit has gone) and, more importantly, those who have never watched speedway. The biggest obstacle with the latter is most of Britain has no idea what speedway is. Outside the isolated pockets of speedway activity, the sport's media profile is nonexistent.

Maybe run a "masters series" as a 2nd half to bring some old punters back, all riding standard equipment supplied by the club?

Going forward would like to see the Premiership with 8 team, all ride against each other once home & once away. GP Riders are a non starter pretty much so dont even worry about set race nights. Just do whatever is best for each club to maximize crowd potential. 2 U23 British reserves for each team.  Proper Cup competition with final at a neutral venue (Perry Barr maybe) help on a non GP Saturday in September. 

Ditto for the Championship with the Cup Final somewhere like Belle Vue or Peterborough (depending on what teams get to the Final)

All other meaningless competitions forgotten about  as they rarely attract decent crowds. Just a local friendly to kick start the season before the league campaign gets going.

Most important though is a decent track so the boys can race and a fair price point so family's and young kids/students/young adults can go. Its really not a case of re inventing the wheel. 

16 hours ago, RPNY said:

Going forward would like to see the Premiership with 8 team, all ride against each other once home & once away. GP Riders are a non starter pretty much so dont even worry about set race nights. Just do whatever is best for each club to maximize crowd potential. 2 U23 British reserves for each team.  Proper Cup competition with final at a neutral venue (Perry Barr maybe) help on a non GP Saturday in September. 

Ditto for the Championship with the Cup Final somewhere like Belle Vue or Peterborough (depending on what teams get to the Final)

All other meaningless competitions forgotten about  as they rarely attract decent crowds. Just a local friendly to kick start the season before the league campaign gets going.

Most important though is a decent track so the boys can race and a fair price point so family's and young kids/students/young adults can go. Its really not a case of re inventing the wheel. 

Set nights allow riders to double up without fixture clashes which is vitally important. 

17 hours ago, RPNY said:

Perry Barr, dogs on a Saturday.

Edited by BuxtonTiger

45 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Set nights allow riders to double up without fixture clashes which is vitally important. 

Then do away with doubling up

• Like 1