British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sancho

AGM

A club like Poole dropping down should be a warning sign.

The sport has lost the likes of Coventry, Oxford, Cradley and Reading that once dominated the leagues. And a lot more before them. Poole are the club of the last two decades.

Perhaps Pirates deciding to do this will encourage the sport that the best way forward is to cut costs and plan for what each club can afford.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

Godfrey said: “One message which has come out very strongly from supporters is that they don’t want things tinkered with, and we’ve taken that on board

So there you go. If there isn't enough in the action plan to save the sport, it's YOUR fault.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Godfrey in charge, brilliant, the man is corrupt.

Must admit its not a move that I think will prove a good one, recent history tells us that. Maybe the rest of the committee want Rob Godfrey to be the captain that finally sinks the ship.

2020 AGm to look at teams keeping their 1-7 for the following season, but if they make a change they have to go back to the points limit.

Would that see a team finishing the season averaging 51.48 and staying at that for 2021, but others keep their unsuccessful 45.28 team or build to 41/42.50?

11 minutes ago, Doners123 said:

If it’s because they don’t want the national league to not have enough teams, then why would anyone want to run in a league that they can never get out off. 

So next year has gone from wat hing someone like Craig cook around the SBA to some newby wobbler who won’t be within half a lap of the heatleader. 

I suspect if Newcastle don't make it Plymouth will go up. That is precisely what happened when they applied to join the PL in 2011 - refusal, then acceptance when Stoke (if memory serves me correctly) pulled out. 

It looks to me that the refusal has been based upon the need for a 12 team league but until we hear the actual grounds its difficult to actually state whether the decision is correct.

Let me assure you that the gap between the standard of riders in the Championship is just as wide as it is in the NL.  

Overall, I think the outcome is pretty decent, although I'll wait to see what happens with the NL first. Certainly the regional split in the Championship seems to me to be a very good idea indeed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I suspect if Newcastle don't make it Plymouth will go up. That is precisely what happened when they applied to join the PL in 2011 - refusal, then acceptance when Stoke (if memory serves me correctly) pulled out. 

It looks to me that the refusal has been based upon the need for a 12 team league but until we hear the actual grounds its difficult to actually state whether the decision is correct.

Let me assure you that the gap between the standard of riders in the Championship is just as wide as it is in the NL.  

Overall, I think the outcome is pretty decent, although I'll wait to see what happens with the NL first. Certainly the regional split in the Championship seems to me to be a very good idea indeed.

Agree, its a great idea....  not sure how it can be described as 'regional'  though... Seems a tad harsh on Scunny, no local derbies, just lots of travelling to the most northern of outposts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Albert said:

Agree, its a great idea....  not sure how it can be described as 'regional'  though... Seems a tad harsh on Scunny, no local derbies, just lots of travelling to the most northern of outposts.

To be fair, in Scunny's case you're right.

Trouble is they are in the middle of the country so its either Glasgow or Poole. 

Blame the BSPA chairman :D;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

To be fair, in Scunny's case you're right.

Trouble is they are in the middle of the country so its either Glasgow or Poole. 

Blame the BSPA chairman :D;)

Again, he puts 'what's in the best interest for british speedway'  before the best interests of his club ;)

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

What’s the what’s the point in the AGM then ? The clubs knew that they had to say if they could or could not compete in the league they wish next season. 

If newcastle cant commit then how can they be allowed to be in the championship.   

Its also hardly fair on Plymouth to be told they could be national league now and then suddenly 2/3 months down the line to be told they are championship and being that far behind all the other teams.

Speedway needs an independent control board. 

1 minute ago, Doners123 said:

What’s the what’s the point in the AGM then ? The clubs knew that they had to say if they could or could not compete in the league they wish next season. 

If newcastle cant commit then how can they be allowed to be in the championship.   

Its also hardly fair on Plymouth to be told they could be national league now and then suddenly 2/3 months down the line to be told they are championship and being that far behind all the other teams.

Speedway needs an independent control board. 

The thing is if Newcastle were forced to make a commitment now they may well throw in the towel and we'd lose another club - and, believe me, if Newcastle lost planning permission at Brough Park there's a good chance they'd never get it back.

I do take your point here but given the choice I'd do exactly the same as the BSPA have done and allow them more time. That amount of time, though, has to be fair on Plymouth if (and it is an if) they are in line to replace Newcastle.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Halifaxtiger said:

The thing is if Newcastle were forced to make a commitment now they may well throw in the towel and we'd lose another club - and, believe me, if Newcastle lost planning permission at Brough Park there's a good chance they'd never get it back.

I do take your point here but given the choice I'd do exactly the same as the BSPA have done and allow them more time. That amount of time, though, has to be fair on Plymouth if (and it is an if) they are in line to replace Newcastle.  

But they should be able to make a choice now. The point is however It shouldn’t even come down to if newcastle can and if Plymouth can’t. 

For the future of speedway all teams should be accepted where they wanted Imagine the up roar if Poole were told to stay in the premiership making it an 8 team league. And Plymouth getting promoted to the championship. 

Unfortuntly it seems if you are not a “big” team you not of use. 

4 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

If this is the scenario...Plymouth in and Newcastle out....  would that then mean Plymouth replacing Leicester in the southern region?....Leicester go into the northern group?  ...don't think they'd be too happy about that!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doners123 said:

But they should be able to make a choice now. The point is however It shouldn’t even come down to if newcastle can and if Plymouth can’t. 

For the future of speedway all teams should be accepted where they wanted Imagine the up roar if Poole were told to stay in the premiership making it an 8 team league. And Plymouth getting promoted to the championship. 

Unfortuntly it seems if you are not a “big” team you not of use. 

We'll have to disagree on that one. Newcastle aren't the first and won't be the last to be allowed more time. 

I think the interests of the sport must overrule the needs of an individual club. Having the north-south split means they have to have an even number of teams  - if you had an odd number, one section would be running more 2 more home league meetings than the other. 

I also think that a club dropping down should be given preference over one coming up, and I'd point out Kent were successful in their attempt.

Although I am all too aware of speedway's appalling decision making, you have to ask yourself why they were selected over Plymouth.