British Speedway Forum
Bavarian

FIM OCEANIA Solo Championship

News from Down Under of the official draw for the inaugural FIM Oceania Solo Speedway Championship on Saturday, November 23, 2019, at the Gillman track in Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.australianspeedwaychampionships.com.au/speedway/2019-fim-oceania-speedway-championship-draw-announced/

Several British riders are in the line-up for this Continental Championship event.

Not sure I see the point of this. And the line up doesn’t seem that strong either !!!

Jedd List is not riding. Kyle Bickley replaces him.

12 hours ago, iris123 said:

Not sure I see the point of this. And the line up doesn’t seem that strong either !!!

The FIM regional authorities having been given a degree of autonomy, this authority is no doubt trying to demonstrate its status (in the speedway sphere, - no idea how they stand in other m/c sports out there - ?)
After a number of successful Sidecar Speedway Oceania Championship years seems they want to expand.  FIME through SEC have a European Championship,  this will be FIMO's equivalent.

It was said in the Speedway Star that this was the start of Aussies trying to build a championship from which the champion could go in to the GP series, similar to the way the SEC has grown so that in future the champion will join the GPs. From little acorns....

13 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

It was said in the Speedway Star that this was the start of Aussies trying to build a championship from which the champion could go in to the GP series, similar to the way the SEC has grown so that in future the champion will join the GPs. From little acorns....

Who said that? Our Posti is on strike this month so wont be expecting my Spar for a while... 

SEC has been ridden since 2001.

28 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

The trouble is though you can’t compare Europe with Oceania(sounds like some Disney film), as a qualifier from Europe involves loads of different countries. This is basically  limited to Australians and then opening it up for anyone else !!! Is it going to be another route for Europeans or will only Australians get a GP spot? And don’t tell me the same will apply for the Americans? Well at least there are a couple of Argentinians who could enter !!!

Edited by iris123

28 minutes ago, iris123 said:

The trouble is though you can’t compare Europe with Oceania(sounds like some Disney film), as a qualifier from Europe involves loads of different countries. This is basically  limited to Australians and then opening it up for anyone else !!! Is it going to be another route for Europeans or will only Australians get a GP spot? And don’t tell me the same will apply for the Americans? Well at least there are a couple of Argentinians who could enter !!!

There was also a suggestion, I remember, that USA riders could feed in via an Overseas Final, which could come after Oceania Final.

49 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Who said that? Our Posti is on strike this month so wont be expecting my Spar for a while... 

SEC has been ridden since 2001.

It was part of an interview with Mark Lemon but don't know if words were directly attributed to him. The Oz authorities are miffed that the SEC, which they cant enter, haas potentially removed one slot for them in GP series (via the nomination system).

As for SEC starting in 2001, as I said from little acorns.

Edited by Richard Weston

This is a very wierd championship. How can British riders and German riders enter this? Makes no sense at all.

Should be limited to Oceania countries licenses.

Edited by DutchGrasstrack
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

It was part of an interview with Mark Lemon but don't know if words were directly attributed to him. The Oz authorities are miffed that the SEC, which they cant enter, haas potentially removed one slot for them in GP series (via the nomination system).

As for SEC starting in 2001, as I said from little acorns.

I sort of understand their frustration with the success of the SEC. But I would be very, very surprised if an effort to replicate it succeeded in the southern hemisphere. Without wishing to tread into another rather delicate subject....the concept and identity of Europe and European is so much stronger and, of course, more marketable. Hence the relative success of the SEC...and indeed other major European sports events. Oceania? I lived for a year in Oz and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone describe themselves as "Oceanic". The little mermaid perhaps? :)

The football version has failed...why would a speedway one succeed?

Didn't Jack Holder already win this :blink: