British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Greg

IOW 2020

19 minutes ago, Marky_Mark said:

Connor King now confirmed in the 2020 line up leaving 6.79 for the final rider 

That's good. Does anyone know where Danno Verge will be riding? Could it possibly be Kent?

Edited by Old Crusader

Decent looking side coming together on the Island. Final place for either Smith or Jenkins? Glad King got the nod over Widman as his time must have surely come and Danno may be popular on the Island but his average is just to high. Tough league this year but if the 1-7 can stay fit and focused i expect the Warriors to go close at the end of the season. 

• Like 1

Good to see Connor King back has the right attitude,needs to improve his gating this season...

Edited by waco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, flipper11 said:

What about Brooks for the final place?

I had heard he wasn't riding this year or not riding Speedway, however don't know if that's his choice or no team place available to him? Shame as been making good strides and riding a big track would really suit him. 

Coles seems a little bit of a concern? His interview seemed to suggest he was broke, last years bikes should be alright and he will have help with him sometimes but no guarantees?

Hopefully Coles can pick up a bit of sponsorships at the IOW ...They have one of the best management teams in British Speedway

Edited by waco

9 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Decent looking side coming together on the Island. Final place for either Smith or Jenkins? Glad King got the nod over Widman as his time must have surely come and Danno may be popular on the Island but his average is just to high. Tough league this year but if the 1-7 can stay fit and focused i expect the Warriors to go close at the end of the season. 

If that's the case bit of a shame a rider improves in a "development" league but gets dropped because he improved too much? 

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

If that's the case bit of a shame a rider improves in a "development" league but gets dropped because he improved too much? 

It is tough but that is how it works until somebody comes up with another way of team building from year to year.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Its more a case of the suspicion that he has improved as far as he is going to? Personally i didn't see him ending the season on a 6 plus average and maybe IOW thought so too? As stated above the average system can be skewed as it can very much depend upon the fixtures for any given point of the season. 

Perhaps keep as it during the year but at the end of season generate an average based upon all matches / league matches and use that average for next seasons team building?  

Edited by Sings4Speedway

Warriors complete with Tom Woolley. 

A stronger team this year! Morley is a stand out rider in the league and can hold his own anywhere. Campos & Woolley are a dependable middle order and there’s average improvement definitely in Campos. Woolley, I think, will improve slightly with a stable home base and he’s tasted second tier racing now. Hopefully Coles fares a bit better than his last Smallbrook spell but he’s improved as a rider since and also has second tier experience now. Those 3 aren’t big names as 2nd & 3rd heat leaders, unlike BV, but there’s strength in depth and none on a downward trend.

But I believe the real strength is at the bottom. Wirtzfeld & King have both had a season now and impressed at times last year and should again add 1-2pts to their averages. Leek is a new recruit but was having a great season last year until injury and should be one of the best 3.00 riders and could add 2pts himself. Any bad spell by any of the 3 will drop them to reserve to reignite their season with no worries over who steps up to number 2. 

More than happy. I can see a play-off campaign coming, a close call between the Warriors & Mildenhall for the NT, a decent KOC effort, a strong NL Fours run and not forgetting hosting the NL Pairs!

Edited by Islander15
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not a bad side in depth..but I only see two actual heat leaders,,Ben and Connor ,,remains to be seen if one of Woolley or Campos can step up,,Leek was improving last season and the youngsters  King and Wirtzfield can obviously improve this season..So wishing all at the IOW a happy ,,safe year ,,with hopefully a team that can challenge for honours...!,

Only saw Wooley a couple of times last season but there appears to be less of him and was riding well rather than his old gate and road block technique which won't work on the Island. As covered by the others Campos has to be a better rider than his average, Morley is the standout rider in the league and if Connor & Chad continue their improvements from last yea it looks a strong side. Titles will hang on whether Leek discovers some technical ability and can keep out of the fence and if Coles can find enough funding to keep competitive. 

• Like 1

I take it from the completed team that Cris Widman may have retired...But as yet no confirmation of that..What ever the future holds for him I wish him all the best.....

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, waco said:

I take it from the completed team that Cris Widman may have retired...But as yet no confirmation of that..What ever the future holds for him I wish him all the best.....

He has confirmed he is not riding this season. On Facebook he said (in part)

Well it’s fair to say that last season was probably one of the most difficult of my career for a number of reasons. Mechanical, Financial, & My Butchers Business so I have taken the difficult decision to take a break in order to build up my business and finances and hopefully, if selected, return to track fully committed.