British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Greg

IOW 2020

On 2/25/2021 at 7:08 PM, Bavarian said:

Perhaps the Wight Warriors could join the French League this year ? 

That's not the worst idea!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2021 at 9:37 AM, szkocjasid said:

That's not the worst idea!

Isn't it?

Any idea how a NL team is supposed to afford the travelling expenses, work permits, customs clearances and all the other complications that travelling to Europe in a post-Brexit world will involve now? Not to mention the differences in lockdown restrictions (the French won't be fully vaccinated this year) and the constant threat of closed borders, farmers strikes blocking the motorways, fishermen's strikes blocking the ports and harbours, French air traffic controllers strikes snarling up airline travel....

Edited by uk_martin

38 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Isn't it?

Any idea how a NL team is supposed to afford the travelling expenses, work permits, customs clearances and all the other complications that travelling to Europe in a post-Brexit world will involve now? Not to mention the differences in lockdown restrictions (the French won't be fully vaccinated this year) and the constant threat of closed borders, farmers strikes blocking the motorways, fishermen's strikes blocking the ports and harbours, French air traffic controllers strikes snarling up airline travel....

Well the worst idea would be joining the Polish or Russian leagues, so I stand by my statement!

• Haha 3

godfrey spouting off in the star again saying the " iow" were told what to expect for this season , pity he didnt remember that in 2018 when comets told everyone that they were going to ride friday nights, he soon changed that to suit him shame he dont want to help the "iow" now.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

godfrey spouting off in the star again saying the " iow" were told what to expect for this season , pity he didnt remember that in 2018 when comets told everyone that they were going to ride friday nights, he soon changed that to suit him shame he dont want to help the "iow" now.

Even if they were ‘told’. Why should the NL suddenly accept being told what the rules were when every other year they’ve had an AGM to discuss it and the higher leagues got that privilege this season too?

• Like 2

Well, these are special times.   What has happened in the past, in every walk of life, far beyond speedway, has been swept aside by the global pandemic. 

While the Island promotion have every right to decline membership of this year's 3rd Division, it might be worth thinking that, if the team average had been set higher, say at 39 or above (as l have seen quoted as their preference) we might not have had an eight-club NDL this time around, with other teams unwilling, or unable to join the league under such terms. 

While having every sympathy for the deprived Island fans, l personally feel their promotion's withdrawal might be seen in hindsight as a somewhat excessive reaction to a decision which has been accepted by the remaining eight clubs - - with just a whiff of the terrible Coventry/Peterborough furore from a few years back....

Edited by crescent girl
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Even if they were ‘told’. Why should the NL suddenly accept being told what the rules were when every other year they’ve had an AGM to discuss it and the higher leagues got that privilege this season too?

Thats the point of my message it was a take it or leave it which is wrong!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Well, these are special times.   What has happened in the past, in every walk of life, far beyond speedway, has been swept aside by the global pandemic. 

While the Island promotion have every right to decline membership of this year's 3rd Division, it might be worth thinking that, if the team average had been set higher, say at 39 or above (as l have seen quoted as their preference) we might not have had an eight-club NDL this time around, with other teams unwilling, or unable to join the league under such terms. 

While having every sympathy for the deprived Island fans, l personally feel their promotion's withdrawal might be seen in hindsight as a somewhat excessive reaction to a decision which has been accepted by the remaining eight clubs - - with just a whiff of the terrible Coventry/Peterborough furore from a few years back....

Ultimately time will tell. Whilst the Island have returned to the sport for only a few seasons they were certain to continue and drive speedway forward until the much discussed impositions upon them. The points reductions has generated new entries to the league and should these teams all remain in 3-4 years time then the dictations will be considered successful but should the new joining sides turn out to be short lived then it will have been a grave error.

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Ultimately time will tell. Whilst the Island have returned to the sport for only a few seasons they were certain to continue and drive speedway forward until the much discussed impositions upon them. The points reductions has generated new entries to the league and should these teams all remain in 3-4 years time then the dictations will be considered successful but should the new joining sides turn out to be short lived then it will have been a grave error.

For me personally, i will miss my trips over to the Island. What i won't miss is,  waiting for the taxi after the meeting and hoping the return ferry was on time!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, cityrebel said:

For me personally, i will miss my trips over to the Island. What i won't miss is,  waiting for the taxi after the meeting and hoping the return ferry was on time!

I went once on a £19 deal which got u the ferry, train on the pier bus ride to stadium admission and i think a prog and all returns, it cost more in a taxi back on mainland to the warners hotel than the rest of the night out .

38 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

I went once on a £19 deal which got u the ferry, train on the pier bus ride to stadium admission and i think a prog and all returns, it cost more in a taxi back on mainland to the warners hotel than the rest of the night out .

The Flyer ticket hasn't been available for a few seasons. It's seperate tickets for the boat and admission, although the taxi both ways was free, if booked in advance.

On 3/11/2021 at 1:36 PM, crescent girl said:

It is, indeed, possible that other clubs might not have joined the NDL with a points limit at 39. However, we'll never know that because the limit was imposed without any discussion, consultation or negotiation at all. From what Rob Godfrey has said in this weeks Speedway Star, even though the likes of Poole, Kings Lynn and Glasgow have no interest in the NDL they had more say in its regulations for 2021 than either Mildenhall or Isle of Wight did. That, surely, cannot be right. 

Had there indeed been consultation - as there most certainly should have been - then the BSPL could state with some assurance that the limit had not been imposed but agreed upon.  Just because it is accepted doesn't mean that it was wanted - Mildenhall's Phil Kirk made that point very clearly in Speedway Star last week. 

The other thing is that if the NDL is to be about development not competition it doesn't matter whether the points limit is 35 or 39. 

As to what Isle of Wight  fans think of Barry Bishop's decision, I am struggling to find anyone who has not supported it - a quite remarkable situation given that he has closed their team down. That, to me, is very indicative of how people view Barry and his partner Martin Widman and all that they have achieved on the Island and precisely what they think of the way that the BSPL have dealt with this matter.  

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

It is, indeed, possible that other clubs might not have joined the NDL with a points limit at 39. However, we'll never know that because the limit was imposed without any discussion, consultation or negotiation at all. From what Rob Godfrey has said in this weeks Speedway Star, even though the likes of Poole, Kings Lynn and Glasgow have no interest in the NDL they had more say in its regulations for 2021 than either Mildenhall or Isle of Wight did. That, surely, cannot be right. 

Had there indeed been consultation - as there most certainly should have been - then the BSPL could state with some assurance that the limit had not been imposed but agreed upon.  Just because it is accepted doesn't mean that it was wanted - Mildenhall's Phil Kirk made that point very clearly in Speedway Star last week. 

The other thing is that if the NDL is to be about development not competition it doesn't matter whether the points limit is 35 or 39. 

As to what Isle of Wight  fans think of Barry Bishop's decision, I am struggling to find anyone who has not supported it - a quite remarkable situation given that he has closed their team down. That, to me, is very indicative of how people view Barry and his partner Martin Widman and all that they have achieved on the Island and precisely what they think of the way that the BSPL have dealt with this matter.  

Your last point says all you need to know about the Warrior Way. It's not a speedway club, it's a proper community and all created by 2 inspirational leaders.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

So basically finished for stand alone clubs, goodbye Mildenhall as well in 2022.