British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Greg

IOW 2020

25 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Never understood how the asset system is supposed to work. The last published list had riders on it that either had retired years previously, had suffered life changing injuries or worse! As there appears to be no ‘ transfer system ‘ like football and riders jump from one club to another year after year and , in many cases , never ride for the club that owns them then what is it for?

I always got the impression it was to give the BSPA some comeback on finances should a club go bankrupt owing them money, like Coventry did?

In my view its so outdated and would not stand up legally. Self employed workers, not paid a retainer (as far as i know) kept on a companies books with inflated values, in the hope that the contract owner can get a "loan fee" or of course add value to their overall company value... And of course... once you leave guess who owns any assets..... you got it BSPL  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, barrybishop said:

In my view its so outdated and would not stand up legally. Self employed workers, not paid a retainer (as far as i know) kept on a companies books with inflated values, in the hope that the contract owner can get a "loan fee" or of course add value to their overall company value... And of course... once you leave guess who owns any assets..... you got it BSPL  

Yes, at one point three of the ‘ elite ‘ promoters owned over 90 riders between them, nice little loan fee earner without getting your hands dirty.

• Like 2

If it’s not about the winning why be so strict about the points limit anyway? Never understood that in sport ! A bit like the football clubs. Just because you can’t attract the support to pay higher wages. Maybe the promoters could put more effort into attracting larger crowds than spending all their time trying to work out how to stifle the other clubs which in itself just drives down standards and affects crowds even more !! 

Instead of a use it or lose it culture why not give supporters a reason to go. It’s not just about getting the 15 heats over and done with (not nowadays anyway) it’s about the whole experience. It may not suit a lot of the old Skool as they like it over and done with and get home but if they want their sport to survive then it’s a trade off 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TMW said:

If it’s not about the winning why be so strict about the points limit anyway? Never understood that in sport ! A bit like the football clubs. Just because you can’t attract the support to pay higher wages. Maybe the promoters could put more effort into attracting larger crowds than spending all their time trying to work out how to stifle the other clubs which in itself just drives down standards and affects crowds even more !! 

Instead of a use it or lose it culture why not give supporters a reason to go. It’s not just about getting the 15 heats over and done with (not nowadays anyway) it’s about the whole experience. It may not suit a lot of the old Skool as they like it over and done with and get home but if they want their sport to survive then it’s a trade off 

That used to be because the ‘ old school ‘ had to catch the last bus home and were at work the next morning , doesn’t really come into the reckoning now as we all have cars.

FEEDBACK FEEDBACK FEEDBACK

We have received many messages, emails and letters over the years and here is one of the latest. We are always proud to receive them and this one says exactly what we are all about - what our club stands for.

I share this with you today as it is addressed to us all but also highlights the brilliant work of Andy Hague (a true unsung hero of the club) along with Ken Burnett and Ian Groves who one way or another produced such great work that has kept speedway fans across the world entertained while showcasing our club and the Isle of Wight.

This email truly highlights Andy’s selfless work to continue to push the sport of speedway out there at the most difficult of time and he must be congratulated for his unrivalled determination to keep our club, speedway and Speedway Portal keeping all speedway fans entertained, every week, without fail. So Andy from Martin Widman and I - thank you Sir.

Everyone have a read and be very proud....

To
All of you lovely people at Warriors Speedway,

We are so sorry that there will be no competitive speedway on the island this year.

Since lockdown my wife & I have lost both our Mums (one to Covid) & have been unable to travel to our favourite sport.

Yet on a weekly basis Isle of Wight speedway have provided us with our weekly `fix` of speedway action.

This has been most uplifting to both of us & has helped us to combat ours loses. And taken us away to the Island for an hour or so.
To this extent we both feel part of your crowd base. And were actually hoping to take in a meeting or two after deciding to take a holiday on the Island once the lockdown is lifted.

I have already inked in my diary thursday`s your 2019 match with Mildenhall on Youtube.
Hopefully, you will be in a position to run our fantastic sport in 2022.

Thank you to everyone involved in providing their time & energy to always put on great show of entertainment every week.

Isle of Wight Speedway have done the most of ALL the clubs during lockdown to keep British Speedway, our wonderful sport in the forefront of our minds.

We feel so sad for all those supporters who will miss out this season.

Our local track Swindon are also not running but we are in a location where we can visit other tracks with reasonable ease.

To you all we say "Thank you, take care & stay safe"
Kind regards

• Like 8

On 3/15/2021 at 11:27 AM, barrybishop said:

What do you all think about all the clubs that have two teams contracting with riders, who are of NL standard, as assets whereas Mildenhall (and any other future standalone club) may not do so......  Another total travesty in my view. 

What's interesting about that is that when Scunthorpe were in the third tier if you wanted to use their facilities you had to sign for the club. The change to the asset system was brought in after they joined the Premier League.

After NL clubs were denied the right to have assets, a 'training fee' was introduced. For example, if Chad Wirtzfeld rode for the Warriors for a few seasons and then signed for Poole, the Pirates would pay a fixed amount  to the Warriors. Not quite as lucrative as owning assets, but a form of financial recompense nevertheless. That, too, has apparently now been dropped.

• Like 1

Speedway a new way

PLANS are going ahead for a summer of speedway racing on the Isle of Wight as

Co-owners Barry Bishop and Martin Widman have revealed that they will put on a series of sizzling summer spectaculars at the Smallbrook Stadium in Ryde.

The Wightlink Warriors and Wizards withdrew from the National League and Midland and Southern Development League respectively, last month after being faced with what they believe was an impossible situation when the board of the British Speedway Promoters Limited imposed rules without consultation and slashed the overall team strengths to what the island’s promoters considered an unviable level. But fears that it meant an end to the sport on the island have been removed with today’s official announcement that there will be a full programme of two wheeled speedway action this summer.

Bishop and Widman resurrected the sport on the island in 2016 and turned the Warriors into the most talked about club in the country, winning the prestigious World Speedway Riders’ Association Community Club of the Year for an unprecedented two years in a row in 2018 and 2019.

Giving just enough to get fans excited, co-owner Barry Bishop said: “As you can imagine it has been a very busy time for Martin and I to get ourselves into a position where we can update everyone in the direction we are taking the club.

“We have received tremendous support from all over the world on this and we cannot wait to implement the faith shown in us by so many. We have to thank everyone who has supported us to move this forward following our withdrawal from league racing, and it is this support and belief in the vision that will drive the project forward.

“With the help of so many, I am delighted to confirm that there will be speedway in 2021 at Smallbrook Stadium and we know you will be thrilled with what’s coming.”

“We are working hard to have a full calendar of events and in addition to those, we have already staged preliminary talks with two international bodies, one of which is the French League, and while there are many challenges to overcome, our initial conversations have been very positive and well received.

“With a spectacular season ahead full of innovation, fun, technology and pride, we cannot wait to get started and welcome our fans, sponsors and supporters back to the club.”

The news will delight the island’s fans and those from the mainland who visit Smallbrook Stadium regularly during the summer months and for those further away who plan their holidays to coincide with meetings.

Added Bishop: “As soon as we are in a position to announce full details of what we are planning we

will do so and Martin and I are both convinced that we will be putting on speedway in a new and different way which will give those who come to a meeting at Smallbrook one of the best night’s entertainment they have ever had. Our policy has always been to put the supporters first and that has been at the very forefront of our minds ever since we had to take the decision not to compete in the National League this year.”

• Like 9

On 3/15/2021 at 2:31 PM, TMW said:

It's easy to do both. Barry crams the whole lot into a show that runs just over two hours on the Island. This includes plenty of interaction with the kids. At some tracks, half the night is spent watching the tractor go around. The whole package does need revamping. Nowadays, it's not enough to just open the gates and hope for the best.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, barrybishop said:

Speedway a new way

PLANS are going ahead for a summer of speedway racing on the Isle of Wight as

Co-owners Barry Bishop and Martin Widman have revealed that they will put on a series of sizzling summer spectaculars at the Smallbrook Stadium in Ryde.

The Wightlink Warriors and Wizards withdrew from the National League and Midland and Southern Development League respectively, last month after being faced with what they believe was an impossible situation when the board of the British Speedway Promoters Limited imposed rules without consultation and slashed the overall team strengths to what the island’s promoters considered an unviable level. But fears that it meant an end to the sport on the island have been removed with today’s official announcement that there will be a full programme of two wheeled speedway action this summer.

Bishop and Widman resurrected the sport on the island in 2016 and turned the Warriors into the most talked about club in the country, winning the prestigious World Speedway Riders’ Association Community Club of the Year for an unprecedented two years in a row in 2018 and 2019.

Giving just enough to get fans excited, co-owner Barry Bishop said: “As you can imagine it has been a very busy time for Martin and I to get ourselves into a position where we can update everyone in the direction we are taking the club.

“We have received tremendous support from all over the world on this and we cannot wait to implement the faith shown in us by so many. We have to thank everyone who has supported us to move this forward following our withdrawal from league racing, and it is this support and belief in the vision that will drive the project forward.

“With the help of so many, I am delighted to confirm that there will be speedway in 2021 at Smallbrook Stadium and we know you will be thrilled with what’s coming.”

“We are working hard to have a full calendar of events and in addition to those, we have already staged preliminary talks with two international bodies, one of which is the French League, and while there are many challenges to overcome, our initial conversations have been very positive and well received.

“With a spectacular season ahead full of innovation, fun, technology and pride, we cannot wait to get started and welcome our fans, sponsors and supporters back to the club.”

The news will delight the island’s fans and those from the mainland who visit Smallbrook Stadium regularly during the summer months and for those further away who plan their holidays to coincide with meetings.

Added Bishop: “As soon as we are in a position to announce full details of what we are planning we

will do so and Martin and I are both convinced that we will be putting on speedway in a new and different way which will give those who come to a meeting at Smallbrook one of the best night’s entertainment they have ever had. Our policy has always been to put the supporters first and that has been at the very forefront of our minds ever since we had to take the decision not to compete in the National League this year.”

Wait for the BIG  response from the BSPL to say you can't run anything.  Take them to court and it would be thrown out.  Buxton run stuff without being part of the BSPL.  Good luck hope it works out sure it will .

• Like 1

once this genie is out of the bottle things will change drastically

• Like 1

Good luck to the Isle of Wight  PROMOTION team.  There surely must be enough out of work UK based riders (thanks to the "rising stars"  scheme )who don't give a tuppenny damn about the BSPL,who would be interested in  riding for an IoW team in a series of invitation events. 

Expect loads of BS from the promoters  at the BSPL threatening all sorts of action to prevent this entertainment taking place.

• Like 1

if i remember right speedway had a one meeting a month rule that was allowed during the off season ie hull or brighton indoor in nov/dec ? , nyc at newport in jan and telford in feb. i'm sure newport ran an extra meeting one year , again if i remember right , tony atkin had alot to do with it being a speedway team vs a grasstrack team and run it under the grasstrack association banner so the powers that be had no say in the matter. maybe that might be worth a look at if there's any problems . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trackerman48 said:

Wait for the BIG  response from the BSPL to say you can't run anything.  Take them to court and it would be thrown out.  Buxton run stuff without being part of the BSPL.  Good luck hope it works out sure it will .

So do Lydd. There is a full fixture list already published for Crayford meetings at Belgar Farm.

I would think (but im sure details will be released as things progress) that speedway meetings can be held as IOW will remain members of the ACU & SCB and only withdrew from the BSPL mafia but as stated there have been several other events held under different banners/names (dirt track spins to mind) but i would be surprised if isn't the header used as the BSPL don't own the rights to that name.

Again there might be a petty attempt to prevent any riders who are under the jurisdiction of the BSPL from competing but i would hope that a public rejection of this will suffice as there is no legal cases to be brought and they would do the sport no favours anyway. "in the best interests of the sport" the more opportunities for bikes to be on tracks the better whatever banner it may operate under. 

One thing for certain is that the IOW team know how to put on a show and now they have a blank canvas to work with may the speedway circus begin.

45 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I would think (but im sure details will be released as things progress) that speedway meetings can be held as IOW will remain members of the ACU & SCB and only withdrew from the BSPL mafia but as stated there have been several other events held under different banners/names (dirt track spins to mind) but i would be surprised if isn't the header used as the BSPL don't own the rights to that name.

Again there might be a petty attempt to prevent any riders who are under the jurisdiction of the BSPL from competing but i would hope that a public rejection of this will suffice as there is no legal cases to be brought and they would do the sport no favours anyway. "in the best interests of the sport" the more opportunities for bikes to be on tracks the better whatever banner it may operate under. 

One thing for certain is that the IOW team know how to put on a show and now they have a blank canvas to work with may the speedway circus begin.

My suspicion is that any attempt to bar riders from riding or threaten to ban them from BSPL meetings would be a restraint of trade and therefore illegal. It would likely collapse at the first legal challenge.

Very best of luck to Isle of Wight. 

• Like 3