British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Greg

IOW 2020

13 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

My suspicion is that any attempt to bar riders from riding or threaten to ban them from BSPL meetings would be a restraint of trade and therefore illegal. It would likely collapse at the first legal challenge.

Very best of luck to Isle of Wight. 

Would it though ? If you are in an association, you agree to abide by the rules. If you then go against them or go outside them, you are surely breaking them. It is probably ok to do that if you don't want to take part in any meetings under their auspices. You can't I think play in both darts associations, even though you might claim it is restraint of trade. And as we see in Poland they restrict the meetings you can ride in, i.e restrict the leagues when you sign a contract 

There was the mooted series that was going to be run a few years ago that didn't happen

Edited by iris123

40 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

My suspicion is that any attempt to bar riders from riding or threaten to ban them from BSPL meetings would be a restraint of trade and therefore illegal. It would likely collapse at the first legal challenge.

Absolute nonsense.

The BSPA choosing not to use the services of a rider who rides for a rival organisation is no different to someone choosing not to buy cosmetics from a company that tests their products on animals, or a vegetarian boycotting McDonalds.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Would it though ? If you are in an association, you agree to abide by the rules. If you then go against them or go outside them, you are surely breaking them. It is probably ok to do that if you don't want to take part in any meetings under their auspices. You can't I think play in both darts associations, even though you might claim it is restraint of trade. And as we see in Poland they restrict the meetings you can ride in, i.e restrict the leagues when you sign a contract 

There was the mooted series that was going to be run a few years ago that didn't happen

That depends on whether those rules themselves are within the law specific to restraint of trade. The rules themselves are not law and can be subject to challenge in the courts if they are contrary to legislation.

To bar a rider would effectively restrict his ability to earn money from a different employer  - that, to me, is a clear restraint of trade.

Its akin to a builder refusing to alliow a self employed bricklayer to work for a rival firm even though he only employs him for one day a week.

If memory serves me correctly, a couple of years ago the BSPL refused to allow Scott Nicholls to ride in the Championship because the rules said his Premiership average was too high. They carried on saying no until Nicholls consulted a solicitor, when they gave in very quickly indeed.

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

Absolute nonsense.

The BSPA choosing not to use the services of a rider who rides for a rival organisation is no different to someone choosing not to buy cosmetics from a company that tests their products on animals, or a vegetarian boycotting 

I think you rather miss the point.

Every speedway promotion has the right to choose whether to employ a rider or not.

What they do not have is the right to prevent him riding for an alternative employer, and that is effectively what a ban would do  - and unquestionably would be the motivation behind it.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

That depends on whether those rules themselves are within the law specific to restraint of trade. The rules themselves are not law and can be subject to challenge in the courts if they are contrary to legislation.

To bar a rider would effectively restrict his ability to earn money from a different employer  - that, to me, is a clear restraint of trade.

Its akin to a builder refusing to alliow a self employed bricklayer to work for a rival firm even though he only employs him for one day a week.

If memory serves me correctly, a couple of years ago the BSPL refused to allow Scott Nicholls to ride in the Championship because the rules said his Premiership average was too high. They carried on saying no until Nicholls consulted a solicitor, when they gave in very quickly indeed.

Every speedway promotion has the right to choose whether to employ a rider or not.

What they do not have is the right to prevent him riding for an alternative employer, and that is effectively what a ban would do  - and unquestionably would be the motivation behind it.

All this is fascinating stuff, but what is it doing on an IOW thread ?   I think if the Speedway rules were subject to scrutiny, there would be quite a lot of

legally questionable items, restraint of trade being a glaring one.  No restraint of trade on the Island, though....sadly.

Just now, East End Fan said:

All this is fascinating stuff, but what is it doing on an IOW thread ?   I think if the Speedway rules were subject to scrutiny, there would be quite a lot of

legally questionable items, restraint of trade being a glaring one.  No restraint of trade on the Island, though....sadly.

Its actually highly relevant. Barry Bishop has said that he plans to run a full programme of events this summer, so presumably he will use existing Speedway riders to do it. Question is whether the BSPL will allow that and if they don't, whether such an action is legal or not.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Think it is very suspect

As I said a couple of ex riders wanted to do a series on a few tracks a few years ago and it came to nothing, because of threats I am sure from the BSPA

I also know in Hamburg the local Ice Hockey club folded and a Russian promotion wanted to start a team there in the International Continental Ice Hockey League. The Bundesliga protested that it would be a rival promotion and have a negative effect on the national league. I'd guess the BSPA could well claim the same, with a rival league taking place on their turf. I wish it well as it is a good idea, but I doubt it will happen for a number of reasons. Covid and BSPA

15 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Think it is very suspect

As I said a couple of ex riders wanted to do a series on a few tracks a few years ago and it came to nothing, because of threats I am sure from the BSPA

I also know in Hamburg the local Ice Hockey club folded and a Russian promotion wanted to start a team there in the International Continental Ice Hockey League. The Bundesliga protested that it would be a rival promotion and have a negative effect on the national league. I'd guess the BSPA could well claim the same, with a rival league taking place on their turf. I wish it well as it is a good idea, but I doubt it will happen for a number of reasons. Covid and BSPA

Definition of restraint of trade: 'The principle that an individual should be free to follow his trade and use his skills without undue interference. The principle renders a contractual term purporting to restrict an individual's freedom to work for others or carry out his trade or business (a restrictive covenant) void unless it is designed to protect legitimate business interests and no wider than reasonably necessary'.

To me, its clear that any ban would be a restraint of trade within the above definition. Where it is less clear cut is in the second part, but for what its worth I would find it hard to believe that a once a week meeting on the Isle of Wight threatens the existence of any of the BSPL leagues (and there is a precedent - Lydd ). I daresay, however, this won't be the last we'll hear of this.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

58 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Think it is very suspect

yes pretty sure it was Scott Courtney @Betwick he wanted to run a mini GP series around a few tracks through the MCF federation which is like the acu but cheaper to run events and mostly used by MX  clubs but the clubs  were told if they ran at there stadiums  there scb licence would be revoked 

• Like 3

Firstly good luck to the IOW Speedway with whatever it is they going to put on, I wish nothing but the best for the promotion Team of Barry Bishop and Martin Wildman who have been by far and away the leading promotion in British Speedway when it comes to making Spectators welcome and putting on a first class show when it came to Speedway events at Smallbrook, when the promotion made it known that they had decided to withdraw from the BSPL i personally was very disapointed because though i live a fair way from the IOW it was somewhere that i had planned to visit once again, however having read the latest press release from the promotion at IOW speedway it again will give me the opportunity/excuse if i needed one which i dont, to come over again.

With regards the BSPL and the NL co-ordinator not contacting the IOW promotion it shows complete disrespect to Barry, Martin and fans of speedway on the IOW, and whatever may become of this it will be of the BSPL,s own doing, I have to say the NL co-ordinator and the Chairman of the BSPL do not come out of this very well from what i have read or heard, and the latest information on use of tyres only goes to show, that those at the top table do not understand the meaning of common sense but frequently come out with nonsense instead, and as such does not fill me with any faith that the BSPL can find a sustainable future for our Speedway in the UK.

2 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

It's you who missed the point.   Yet you so nearly get there, and then completely miss.

As you say, the BSP Limited has the right to choose whether to employ a rider or not.  If they choose not to employ someone who is riding/has ridden with a rival organisation that's their prerogative.   They are breaking no laws.

What they do not have is the right to prevent him riding for an alternative employer

But no one said they did!  A rider is completely free to go and ride for whatever alternative organisation the Isle of Wight club might propose to race under.   

All we are saying is that such a rider would have to be prepared for the BSP Ltd to say, if you're riding for another organisation, you're not riding for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

To bar a rider would effectively restrict his ability to earn money from a different employer  -  No it wouldn't.    If I choose not to use a particular plumber, it's not stopping him doing plumbing work for anyone else.  

Its akin to a builder refusing to allow a self employed bricklayer to work for a rival firm even though he only employs him for one day a week.     No. It's akin to a builder saying to a bricklayer "If you're going to be doing work for someone else, then I won't be giving you any work.   (or if you want a sporting analogy, it's akin to the British Darts Organisation saying "If you want to play in the Professional Darts Championship, then you can't play in our organisation too.)

Edited by PotteringAround

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Think it is very suspect

If you genuinely think fans won’t attend the Premiership or Championship meetings just because the IOW are putting on an individual meeting or open event, then you are highly mistaken. It isn’t BSPL ‘turf’ when the Warriors have withdrawn from the league and association  

I hope the BSPL don’t attempt to block this attempt, but in reality it will make no difference to any other club’s businesses. At the end of the day, the Warriors have a surprisingly high number of core island based fans who have bought into the Bishop & Widman plan and frequent, but ever changing, holiday makers. So they have no direct rivals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

It's you who missed the point.   Yet you so nearly get there, and then completely miss.

As you say, the BSP Limited has the right to choose whether to employ a rider or not.  If they choose not to employ someone who is riding/has ridden with a rival organisation that's their prerogative.   They are breaking no laws.

But no one said they did!  A rider is completely free to go and ride for whatever alternative organisation the Isle of Wight club might propose to race under.   

All we are saying is that such a rider would have to be prepared for the BSP Ltd to say, if you're riding for another organisation, you're not riding for us.

Definition of restraint of trade: 'The principle that an individual should be free to follow his trade and use his skills without undue interference. The principle renders a contractual term purporting to restrict an individual's freedom to work for others or carry out his trade or business (a restrictive covenant) void unless it is designed to protect legitimate business interests and no wider than reasonably necessary'.

Glossary | Practical Law (thomsonreuters.com)

I think you're right - 'if you're riding for another organisation, you're not riding for us' - is just about spot on. The BSPL would issue a written statement to that effect, presumably in the form of a new rule or part of the riders contract (or both). That would, however, fall very squarely within the highlighted part of the definition I have indicated above, because they would, in effect, be restricting a riders 'freedom to work for others'.

In such circumstances : 'Courts or tribunals would normally rule against a blanket ban on working for a competitor because it would be a 'restraint of trade' – a general legal principle used to stop attempts to stifle competition'. That is, however, precisely what you are suggesting the BSPL would do and, indeed, that they could do it.

Restraint of trade | WorkSmart: The career coach that works for everyone 

As such, the BSPL would indeed be breaking common law by insisting that they had an exclusive right to a riders services.

Within the definition of restraint of trade there are circumstances (see above) that would allow such a restraint to be effective.  My view, in this case, is that they would not.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Perhaps as the IOW have ‘ withdrawn ‘ from BSPL they will no longer have a SCB track licence and therefore on a sticky wicket with insurance for speedway events ?

The last time riders threatened to ride in an unlicensed event they were told their race licences would be revoked, now that would cause a problem !

Please correct me if I am wrong but didn't the SCB bring a halt to the racing at Iwade (Sittingbourne) and initially insisted on the installation of an air fence which a the time was beyond the financial means of the club.

Since its opening I have been a supporter of Kent Kings but for this season I will gladly incur the extra costs and attend meetings at the IOW and give the Kings a miss.

Barry Bishop and his colleagues have done a fantastic job over the last few years and should be encouraged to continue operating speedway racing at Ryde.

The SCB, ACU, FIM or the BSPL should not be legally allowed to ban riders competing at events at the IOW track. For those who may remember - shades of the dispute in 1964 between the National League and the Provincial League culminating in the Shawcross Report in January 1965.

I agree with the comments above regarding the illegality of restraint of trade involving riders and their services.

• Like 2