British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Greg

IOW 2020

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_17_5184

'The European Commission has decided that International Skating Union (ISU) rules imposing severe penalties on athletes participating in speed skating competitions that are not authorised by the ISU are in breach of EU antitrust law. The ISU must now change these rules'.

Commissioner Margrethe Vestager, in charge of competition policy, said: "International sports federations play an important role in athletes' careers - they protect their health and safety and the integrity of competitions. However, the severe penalties the International Skating Union imposes on skaters also serve to protect its own commercial interests and prevent others from setting up their own events. The ISU now has to comply with our decision, modify its rules, and open up new opportunities for athletes and competing organisers, to the benefit of all ice skating fans".

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Yes, but the UK isn't in the EU now. Didn't want to be ruled or comply by their rules

There was also a further decision made though

https://globalarbitrationnews.com/cas-arbitration-clause-improper-under-eu-law-the-general-court-of-the-eu-disagrees/

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Yes, but the UK isn't in the EU now. Didn't want to be ruled or comply by their rules

There was also a further decision made though

https://globalarbitrationnews.com/cas-arbitration-clause-improper-under-eu-law-the-general-court-of-the-eu-disagrees/

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1102107/eu-general-court-isu-competition-rules

Indeed. The General Court upheld the original decision with the exception of the ordered change to arbitration.

'.The European Union (EU) General Court has determined that International Skating Union (ISU) rules prohibiting athletes from participating in events not run by the governing body were in breach of the EU's competition law'.

You're right, thougb. Tthat probably won't cut much ice with British courts now.

My understanding of the Darts case is that the organisation that tried to ban players reversed their decision in a plea bargain.

On a final note,  I'd say that the common law relating to restraint of trade is pretty clear, and it is accepted principle that in a legal dispute any party that wishes to take advantage of an exception has to prove that it applies to them. In this case, that would be the BSPL.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

It’s the “Warriors Shale Track Racing Club”

The Wightlink Warriors today announce the launch of the “Warriors Shale Track Racing Club” which will encompass all racing events staged at the Smallbrook Stadium. The club, which will be open for membership, will offer riders of all ages and ability the opportunity to participate in many different race classes on the country's largest shale circuit.

Warriors Shale Track Racing Club Co-owner Barry Bishop said, “Martin and I are delighted to be able to extend the reach of shale track racing to a far greater rider and fan base than ever before with the support of NORA Motorsport. We will now be able to develop riders in many different shale track classes and incorporate them into our fabulous summer spectacular race series. 

Again, we cannot wait to welcome fans, riders and sponsors once more to Smallbrook for a non-stop feast of entertainment and further details will be released in due course.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hopefully a fair few of us Oxford supporters will be taking the opportunity to dig our passports out and go abroad again to see a team representing the Cheetahs, Thanks to Barry and Martin for laying on the entertainment for us.

• Like 2

I think what they've got lined up is mega, with so much variety on offer.  I know the majority of speedway fans around the country only like league racing and play-off's, and turn their backs on challenge matches.
I can never really understand that, although I respect their thoughts, but at the end of the day, there are four riders on track, risking their lives to entertain us, and whatever the type of competition, it's exactly the same thing us punters are watching.
So whilst I will continue to enjoy watching meetings on the mainland, I shall certainly enjoy the attractive package they are providing for their customers when I visit the island, and I wish them all the luck in the world in this forward thinking venture.    

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

I think what they've got lined up is mega, with so much variety on offer.  I know the majority of speedway fans around the country only like league racing and play-off's, and turn their backs on challenge matches.
I can never really understand that, although I respect their thoughts, but at the end of the day, there are four riders on track, risking their lives to entertain us, and whatever the type of competition, it's exactly the same thing us punters are watching.
So whilst I will continue to enjoy watching meetings on the mainland, I shall certainly enjoy the attractive package they are providing for their customers when I visit the island, and I wish them all the luck in the world in this forward thinking venture.    

Funnily enough I was thinking about this this morning in the context of the IOW, I think it will work very well for them particularly in the holiday season but despite attending loads of challenge matches and individuals back in my younger days (late 80’s and 90’s mainly) they just don't do anything for me nowadays, you don’t get anywhere near the sense of anticipation or buzz where there aren’t league points or something meaningful to be raced for. The only exception I guess is the Peter Craven Memorial at the NSS, I’ve been lucky enough to attend that two or three times and because it’s the first meeting and the track is second to none it works for me. Just think generally you lose that edge if it’s not a league, cup or Play Off meeting. 

1 minute ago, Bagpuss said:

Funnily enough I was thinking about this this morning in the context of the IOW, I think it will work very well for them particularly in the holiday season but despite attending loads of challenge matches and individuals back in my younger days (late 80’s and 90’s mainly) they just don't do anything for me nowadays, you don’t get anywhere near the sense of anticipation or buzz where there aren’t league points or something meaningful to be raced for. The only exception I guess is the Peter Craven Memorial at the NSS, I’ve been lucky enough to attend that two or three times and because it’s the first meeting and the track is second to none it works for me. Just think generally you lose that edge if it’s not a league, cup or Play Off meeting. 

That's fair enough Bagpuss, I respect what suits you.

• Thanks 1

We have always done relatively well from Challenge matches crowd and sponsor wise. Our view is to make them as relative as possible so by challenging clubs looking to keep their teams alive and continue to be part of shale track racing having the likes of Oxford, Cradley, Weymouth, and will I hope give the buzz of a league match, certainly all of these challenge types before have :)

Stay safe one and all and thanks for your support in this challenging of times.

• Like 6