British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Greg

IOW 2020

19 minutes ago, barrybishop said:

We have always done relatively well from Challenge matches crowd and sponsor wise. Our view is to make them as relative as possible so by challenging clubs looking to keep their teams alive and continue to be part of shale track racing having the likes of Oxford, Cradley, Weymouth, and will I hope give the buzz of a league match, certainly all of these challenge types before have :)

Stay safe one and all and thanks for your support in this challenging of times.

Any news on the fast cat service Barry. Will we still be able to get back to the mainland after the meetings.

14 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Any news on the fast cat service Barry. Will we still be able to get back to the mainland after the meetings.

Hi,

Still waiting on their reply. I imagine they will announce a new timetable come May 17th when pubs can fully open and people more likely to to trips for nights out to and from the Island.

All the best

On 4/26/2021 at 2:40 PM, Bagpuss said:

Funnily enough I was thinking about this this morning in the context of the IOW, I think it will work very well for them particularly in the holiday season but despite attending loads of challenge matches and individuals back in my younger days (late 80’s and 90’s mainly) they just don't do anything for me nowadays, you don’t get anywhere near the sense of anticipation or buzz where there aren’t league points or something meaningful to be raced for. The only exception I guess is the Peter Craven Memorial at the NSS, I’ve been lucky enough to attend that two or three times and because it’s the first meeting and the track is second to none it works for me. Just think generally you lose that edge if it’s not a league, cup or Play Off meeting. 

I tend to agree here.

Unfortunately for this season at least the Warriors don't have any choice and, given the circumstances, I suspect the overwhelming majority will understand - if not totally agree - with their decision to pull out of the NL.  

Couple of points, though. First of all, freed from the - in my view, stifling - control of the BSPL, they are expanding the content of the meeting to embrace other forms of on track racing so that the speedway becomes the major part (rather than the whole) of the evening. Secondly, they won't be hampered by a 35pt limit (they will use 41.5  I understand) so the teams will be much stronger than standard NL fare.  Thirdly,  the handicap meetings are anything but the usual individual and are brilliant (particularly with the 6 rider final) and well worth a go. Finally, you get the Warriors experience (not to be underestimated)  - the remarkable degree of customer care being very clearly shown by Barry Bishop's continual engagement with fans on the pages of this forum. 

As I said, I do agree with your point but Isle of Wight are very much the exception.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 4

On 4/26/2021 at 9:24 AM, Triple.H. said:

Hopefully a fair few of us Oxford supporters will be taking the opportunity to dig our passports out and go abroad again to see a team representing the Cheetahs, Thanks to Barry and Martin for laying on the entertainment for us.

Unfortunately you will have to quarantine for 10 days at a cost of 1700 quid in a Pompey hotel on your return:D

OFFICIAL BACKING FOR WIGHTLINK WARRIORS

The Isle of Wight Shale Track Racing Club has been given the green light to push ahead with their summer of sensational two wheeled sport.

Warriors’ bosses Martin Widman and Barry Bishop are celebrating and relieved after the British Speedway Promoters’ Limited (BSPL) Board of Directors backed their plans for a full programme of events at Ryde’s Smallbrook Stadium.

Warriors’ co-owner Barry Bishop revealed: “Martin (Widman) and I are absolutely delighted to have secured the support of the BSPL for 2021 which goes some way to easing the pain of the last months.

The Island club withdrew from the National Development League (NDL) and the BSPL earlier this year after a fall-out over decisions made over the NDL’s future which, they believed, impacted severely on speedway’s future at Smallbrook, however the co-owners affiliated to the Island club to the NORA Motorsport organisation who licence clubs and riders in a variety of different forms of off-road disciplines on two and four wheels. Bishop added:

“We have received an email that confirmed ‘at a recent Board meeting the Directors and the BSP Ltd discussed your advertised amateur events.....The BSP fully support you running amateur and practice events with Nora 92.’

“In my view this is a huge step forward for the Isle of Wight and the sport in general. We are of course saddened that we had to leave the Speedway Control Board (SCB) and BSPL but we feel this is a good start to improving our relationship with each other for the betterment of the sport, our riders, fans and overall product.

“Martin and I, along with I am sure everyone else associated with our club, fully welcome their decision and we have informed the SCB, Auto-Cycle Union and BSPL of the amateur NL standard team we intend to have, that BSPL fixtures will be given priority over ours in the event of a fixture clash, and that we remain fully open to an SCB/ACU track inspection at any time that will enable the Isle of Wight to host the fantastic Great Britain Young Lions training camp in February annually and a round of the ACU British 1000cc Sidecar Championships should either express an interest to use Smallbrook Stadium.

“Now we fully look forward to opening on Thursday, June 24 with an excellent season ahead, and we wish everyone involved in speedway and shale track racing the most wonderful of seasons and I implore all fans to get behind their clubs in 2021.”

The Warriors have already announced an 11-meeting season, racing every Thursday (with one Tuesday exception) between June 24 and September 2.

Events will include five National League level challenge matches; three rounds of the Island Masters Championship, two American-style handicap meetings and a Best Pairs.

In additional to conventional speedway there will be additional attractions at every meeting, including sidecars, Formula 2 speedway, youth events for riders aged from 5 to 16, and challenges between riders on a variety of different engines, both lay-down and upright.

Full information on the calendar of meetings is available at www.warriorsspeedway.com

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

In the previous post, Barry Bishop indicated that the Warriors had official backing to operate in 2021.

This is an extract from his Facebook page today:  Real shame for all at Somerset - we know exactly their pain... and yet still others want to prevent us running. Truly now is the time to stand up and be counted.

So has official permission been withdrawn, who are these ‘others’ (ACU/SCB/BSPL?), what are the obstacles and is the 2021 season on the Island now in doubt?

Perhaps Barry could provide an update please.

22 hours ago, Dickie Head said:

In the previous post, Barry Bishop indicated that the Warriors had official backing to operate in 2021.

This is an extract from his Facebook page today:  Real shame for all at Somerset - we know exactly their pain... and yet still others want to prevent us running. Truly now is the time to stand up and be counted.

So has official permission been withdrawn, who are these ‘others’ (ACU/SCB/BSPL?), what are the obstacles and is the 2021 season on the Island now in doubt?

Perhaps Barry could provide an update please.

The quote appears to have vanished!

I am very interested in what is happening with the Warriors as I want to visit at least twice during the season but currently a day trip is not possible due to the sponsors cancelling the boat that runs after the end of the meeting. 

9 hours ago, Chris116 said:

The quote appears to have vanished!

I am very interested in what is happening with the Warriors as I want to visit at least twice during the season but currently a day trip is not possible due to the sponsors cancelling the boat that runs after the end of the meeting. 

Its on Barry's own Facebook page (not the Warriors one) and as far as I can see its still there.

The late evening catamaran seems to have been cancelled but the 11.00pm car ferry still runs. Knowing what the club is like, I'd be very surprised if they did not put some alternative arrangement in place to ensure that those travelling from the mainland can still make it. 

I have no doubt that just as soon as it is reasonable to clarify the situation we will hear something.  

5 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Its on Barry's own Facebook page (not the Warriors one) and as far as I can see its still there.

The late evening catamaran seems to have been cancelled but the 11.00pm car ferry still runs. Knowing what the club is like, I'd be very surprised if they did not put some alternative arrangement in place to ensure that those travelling from the mainland can still make it. 

I have no doubt that just as soon as it is reasonable to clarify the situation we will hear something.  

I use the ferry to catch a train back to Wimbledon so I hope that things change soon. The club are always so welcoming that I would hate to miss out due to the catamaran being cancelled. 

• Like 4

WIGHTLINK WARRIORS SUMMER SPECTACULARS AT RISK

After the incredible support shown to the Wightlink Warriors following their withdrawal from speedway's National League (NL), news that the plans for the summer spectacular of racing are at risk will come as a huge blow to many fans across the UK, and especially our loyal fans and supporters on the Isle of Wight. The reason is not Covid this time, or a lack of interest, but it's a lack of suitable riders who are concerned at the threat of possible sanctions.

Warriors Co-owner Barry Bishop explained, "After the news that the Directors of the British Speedway Promoters would allow amateur status riders to come to the Isle of Wight to participate in our events, everyone associated with the club was delighted, and the feedback from the public was that it was a great move for the sport and rider development. With riders literally chomping at the bit to ride on the Island to improve their skills, get more track time and competitive racing under their belts, we now find that the BSPL appear to view the NL riders contractually in the same way as Premiership and Championship riders even though NL riders are classed as amateur and not professional, with clubs stopping riders from coming to the Island. If you recall, we were delighted that a way forward with the BSPL was found as the NL has always been presented as amateur with riders being paid effectively expenses but this, we are told now is not the case and NL riders have the same professional status as Premier and Championship riders.

To be honest the threats being made to some riders should they come to the Island are really very sad to see ranging from receiving bans or fines for stepping into the stadium (to support us) to participating in a meeting that "could lead to a ban or a fine" - and even practising at Smallbrook could incur the same measures being imposed which is in complete contradiction to what the regulating body have told us. Only yesterday, another new reason for refusing permission to ride emerged when the charging of entrance fees and payment of riders became an issue. With full medical cover and ferry costs to meet, along with all the other costs of a stadium, why wouldn't we charge spectators to watch an evening of entertainment?

The future now is unclear with riders being prevented from racing by rules that the BSPL clubs and riders do not appear to be aware of - there is no defined statement. The Warriors are being prevented from entertaining our fans which will include some of the expected large number of holidaymakers this year, and our sport overall goes a little further downhill.

In an ideal world, there needs to be a public statement from the Speedway Control Bureau (SCB)/BSPL immediately telling riders what the rule is with regards to coming to the island as even non contracted riders are hesitating about coming over. All BSPL riders are self-employed and permission from their promoters to do other events may not be unreasonably withheld and coming to the island would be in our view be no different than participating in a grass track, road race, motocross, banger racing, international events and other Nora events. It should not be the case of you can only do one or the other as riders are being told.

With the recent dreadful news of Somerset closing, we cannot understand why the BSPL would want to prevent riders racing, fans being entertained, sponsors being advertised, and another club prosper/saved. Perhaps it is the opposite they wish for?

We would like to say that we are happy to meet with the BSPL to discuss things; we have spoken to the SCB and Auto Cycle Union already. However, we are continuing to work on our options and are in constant dialogue with the teams that have committed to support us in Challenge matches and who in our view are vital to the future of the sport, and an update will be issued as soon as more information is available and a revised start date”.

• Sad 1

because you snubbed them and they're big babies who clearly don't have the sport's interest at heart. Get the French guys over, run a few French league fixtures like the American football does at Wembley. 

• Like 4

I am very pleased that a new fixture list has been released and racing will be taking place at Smallbrook Stadium but sad to see that it has not been possible to keep the sidecars in the fixture list. 

Now I have to hope that Wightlink and South Western Railway reinstate the late evening services so that it is possible for me to get home to Wimbledon after the racing. 

That fixture list does nothing for me, I'd far rather see a league campaign. Different opponents each week and my own team to follow is far more attractive to me.

11 hours ago, topsoil said:

That fixture list does nothing for me, I'd far rather see a league campaign. Different opponents each week and my own team to follow is far more attractive to me.

And yes wouldn't most people like to see a league campaign but the fault does not lie with Barry and myself, but firmly at the doors of the BSPL Board of Directors who imposed rules on our operation without any consultation or agreement. You try running a business with your hands tied behind your back with all the financial risk being yours. The current situation is far from ideal but a number of people believed in what we were doing this year and we have tried to be loyal to them in the best way possible by coming up with this programme of meetings. Yes there are some omissions but our season has been curtailed by bodies not operating in the best interests of the sport so it is shorter than was anticipated. Apologies if the programme doesn't suit you personally but we are trying our best to put on events that will please and entertain, and will also aid the development of the riders who come through our training sessions.   

Martin Widman

Co Promoter Wight Warriors 

• Like 9