British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Greg

IOW 2020

12 hours ago, topsoil said:

That fixture list does nothing for me, I'd far rather see a league campaign. Different opponents each week and my own team to follow is far more attractive to me.

Everybody is entitled to their differing views on what Speedway should offer that is one of the things that makes it great and also one of the reasons why its currently in such a mess. The fixture list is likely not how Martin & Barry want it either but given the short notice and restrictions they have faced it looks decent enough to me and great to action on track this year which hopefully means in years to come also. If you fancy a Speedway reset give the Handicap meeting a try as it guarantees interesting racing in every heat. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Everybody is entitled to their differing views on what Speedway should offer that is one of the things that makes it great and also one of the reasons why its currently in such a mess. The fixture list is likely not how Martin & Barry want it either but given the short notice and restrictions they have faced it looks decent enough to me and great to action on track this year which hopefully means in years to come also. If you fancy a Speedway reset give the Handicap meeting a try as it guarantees interesting racing in every heat. 

Thank you so much for those much for those kind words of support. They mean a lot to us in these difficult times. . 

5 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I completely agree with you, quite how people can post negative comments regarding the fixture list I find quite surprising, when it's not even known what riders will be participating.

Yes, it's very different from the conventional team matches, but at the end of the day, it's still four riders turning left for 4-laps, giving it their all in the name of entertainment, something that is lacking at certain tracks in recent years.

If I lived on the island, they would get my 100% support every meeting, and if I was a holidaymaker the weeks they were running a meeting, they'd also get my 100% support.
In this day and age when British holidays are almost a thing of the past, 2021 is an exception to that rule, and if you check out the IOW website for things to do of an evening, you'll find nothing, with the exception of a theatre doing a show one night a week, and speedway, the only other thing on offer is if you take your family trolley racing round the aisles of Tesco at Ryde until 10.00pm.

The people that sit on the top table running our sport, have seemingly done everything in their power to close this forward thinking club down, and thanks to the determination of Messrs Bishop and Widman, have failed.

As many supporters round the country know, once their club closes down, seldom does it ever reopen, finishing up as a housing estate, or another supermarket.

So I hope it is a success for them, they've put a lot of time, effort and money, travelling from different parts of the mainland on almost a weekly basis to get the stadium into what looks a lovely venue to visit, and you have only got to check out the cost of the Wightlink Car Ferry, let alone the cost of fuel in reaching Portsmouth, in their determination to ensure that Smallbrook Stadium isn't added to the defunct tracks from 2022 onwards.

Bravo to all of you concerned.        

Edited by Mimmo
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, Great Central said:

And yes wouldn't most people like to see a league campaign but the fault does not lie with Barry and myself, but firmly at the doors of the BSPL Board of Directors who imposed rules on our operation without any consultation or agreement. You try running a business with your hands tied behind your back with all the financial risk being yours. The current situation is far from ideal but a number of people believed in what we were doing this year and we have tried to be loyal to them in the best way possible by coming up with this programme of meetings. Yes there are some omissions but our season has been curtailed by bodies not operating in the best interests of the sport so it is shorter than was anticipated. Apologies if the programme doesn't suit you personally but we are trying our best to put on events that will please and entertain, and will also aid the development of the riders who come through our training sessions.   

Martin Widman

Co Promoter Wight Warriors 

Best of luck to everyone down there..

Hope it is a success..

Lots of fans in the UK certainly admire and respect what you all do down there.. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Great Central said:

Thank you so much for those much for those kind words of support. They mean a lot to us in these difficult times. . 

Is the ferry situation likely to change, for us fans that use the fast cat on the mainland.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Is the ferry situation likely to change, for us fans that use the fast cat on the mainland.

That is obviously of some concern to us and the reason for not having a late FastCat is currently because hospitality places aren't fully open yet. In fact some haven't opened at all like many around the country so according to Wightlink the demand isn't there. We are hoping for some good news when the Government hopefully decide to open up fully. 

• Like 1

Looks like I will be over a fair few times. 

Good luck with everything you do. 

DANNO VERGE RETURNS FOR THE WIGHTLINK WARRIORS SUMMER SPECTACULARS

Steve Piper, the Wightlink Warrior’s new Team Manager has wasted no time as he confirms that Danno Verge is the first rider to put his name forward as it was announced that speedway would return to Smallbrook Stadium on July 22nd and Piper was only too delighted to see him back for his home town club.

Talking about his first signing for the season Steve said, “I’m delighted that Danno has agreed to return to the Wightlink Warriors in 2021. We have three really important team matches against Cradley and Oxford and I said I wanted to put a team together with heart and determination and Danno fits that bill perfectly. Additionally, Danno has previously competed in the US Style Handicap meetings held on the Island so I am confident he will do well in these 'pass-a-minute' action packed events. He knows he will be part of the engine room of the team with plenty of knowledge to pass on and I am sure his local sponsors, friends and family are as thrilled for him as we are to see him back.”

Verge, who moved to the Island a year ago and set up home, had two successive seasons with the Warriors in 2018 and 2019 said, “I am delighted to be going back racing for the Wightlink Warriors in some kind of speedway action at Smallbrook stadium in 2021. After what I feel were two successful learning years for me on the bigger tracks, I can look back on 2019 as being a pretty decent year for me and the club in general.
Now in a year where there has been a limited amount of racing going on, my fixture schedule is less than half of what it was in 2019 so I am glad Barry and Martin are putting what sounds like a few fabulous meetings on for the fans and of course us riders who desperately need to stay on the bike and keep sharp for our league racing. There has been a lot of uncertainty over the plans that are due to be happening but it's all starting to fall into place now and I can't wait to get racing and put a Warriors race jacket on again and most importantly get to the tapes, score some points and put on a show for the fans and I would urge all Island motorcycle fans to turn out to support us riders and the club for what is sure to be a great show.”

Danno’s first meeting is July 29th when the Wightlink Warriors take on Cradley and Oxford in a three team tournament - a meeting that will also feature an Upright Motors speedway challenge GM v Weslake, Pee Wee bikes and 125cc Youth Races. The preliminary action starts at 6.15 pm, gates open from 5.15 pm.

• Like 2

WIGHTLINK WARRIORS NAME STEVE PIPER AS NEW TEAM MANAGER

The Wightlink Warriors are delighted to announce Steve Piper as the new Team Manager for the 2021 season. Steve, who has been involved in speedway for many years, takes up the job from today and will formulate the team for the Three Team Tournament meetings against Cradley and Oxford in July and August.

A clearly overjoyed Steve Piper said, “It was an honour to be asked to become team manager and it took me all of one second to say yes. After being part of the set up with my son George in 2016 I understand the ethos of this special club and what makes it work so well on the Island. I have always enjoyed a close relationship with Barry and Martin and I am truly humbled to be asked. Now to build a team with a great spirit, who will represent the Island in the best possible way and who will fully embrace all that is right about the Warrior Way. We race as one. Bring on the season; I can't wait to get started.”

Wightlink Warriors co-owner Barry Bishop added, “It’s been a challenging time of late, however at long last we have reached a position where Martin and I feel we are good to go and so we are thrilled to bring Steve onboard for 2021. He brings a wealth of knowledge and ideas to the table for the betterment of our sport and we are delighted that finally we are able to get Steve more involved with the club. For sure he will add strength to the management team and I know he is elated.

With Steve’s arrival it means sadly we have to say goodbye to Jackie Vatcher who has done a wonderful job over recent years and has been excellent and a first-class role model for women in the management of speedway. It is a shame that Jackie could not participate this year and she will be missed by us all for sure, but we understand why she cannot be involved with the Warriors, and we all sympathise with her situation.

We should also mention Kev Shepherd, our Clerk of the Course at Smallbrook, who was also our Wizards team manager as well as managing the Warrior team at many away meetings. Our involvement with NORA means that his Clerk of the Course position carries much greater responsibility and this senior position within the club will now see Kev oversee all aspects of events on the Island. We will issue an update on the Wizards team manager post shortly.

Back to 2021 and I can feel the excitement starting to build already and personally I cannot wait to unleash our Summer Spectacular series for you all.”

• Like 2

Hang on. Danno Verge is going to ride at the Isle of Wight but he’s in the ndl for Eastbourne. I thought I saw that League riders would get banned if they went over to race. Has their been a change to allow him to ride. Hope so. More could follow to help the promotors out.

• Like 3

Wightlink Wizards Ready To Roar In To 2021 In Summer Spectacular At Smallbrook Stadium

Following the news that Danno Verge is to be the first rider for the Wightlink Warriors in 2021, supremos Martin Widman and Barry Bishop continue their theme of rider announcements with the exciting news that they are able to present the complete Wightlink Wizards side, all of whom are regular attendees at My First Skid, the speedway school based at the Smallbrook Stadium.

Barry Bishop said, “We view the Wightlink Wizards as a vital part of our presentation package offering riders a development opportunity and to be part of the main event and not just a fill-in. All of these riders came through our speedway school and we want them to continue to push for Warrior places while remaining race hungry for the Wizards, and that’s exactly what we have here. We are extremely proud of the commitment and ethos of all our Wizard teams over recent seasons and we are sure that this one will be the same.

We are also incredibly excited to announce Tony Cook (“Cookie”) as the Wightlink Wizards Team Manager. Cookie, an experienced track motor cyclist in his own right, has been everything to the club, sponsor, volunteer, handyman, mechanic, comedian and now to add Wizards Team Manager, I know he will get the best out of the squad.”

Tony Cook (pictured) said, “What an honour and privilege it is to be asked to be the Wightlink Wizards Team Manager. It is an incredible group with lots of talent to nurture and I know we can all expect some great action on the track. Personally, I cannot wait for racing to start on July 22nd.”

The riders are also relishing lots of track time.

Jamie Sealey said “I’m absolutely over the moon to be back racing for the Wizards. It’s been a long wait to be able to get back racing and I can’t wait to get started again.”

Morgan Williams added, “I’m delighted to see the return of speedway to the island following what has been a very difficult time for the promotion.  As the “local boy” I’m very keen to progress and show that the island can, and will, produce from the grassroots of the sport.  I’m very grateful for being given the opportunity to compete in what will no doubt be a summer series of fantastic racing.”

Chris Watts said, “I am delighted to be back racing for the Wizards again in 2021.
When the news came out, I was quick to show my support towards the Isle of Wight set up and wanting to race for them. In previous years, I have always been their highest average rider and top point scorer and I will be doing my best to keep that up, scoring big points and helping out the team wherever I can.”

Jamie Evans said, “I’m the new face for the Wizards. After learning to ride speedway at My First Skid, I cannot wait to finally race for the team and especially meet up with all the fans.”

Steph Whitlock said “It’s great to be back involved with the Wizards team once again. I can’t wait to get back on track racing as I feel I’ve developed a lot since getting back on my bike after the restrictions were lifted and I cannot wait to see everyone.”

The team lines up as follows:
1.      Jamie Sealey
2.      Morgan Williams
3.      Chris Watts
4.      Jamie Evans
5.      Steph Whitlock

Team Manager  Tony Cook

• Like 3

WIGHTLINK WARRIORS BRING IN ALEX SPOONER RATHER THAN LATER

Wightlink Warriors team boss Steve Piper has only been in post just a few days, but has wasted absolutely no time in tying up arrangements to bring in Essex based Alex Spooner to the Warriors team following approval for him to ride on the Island.

Steve said, “I know that Barry and Martin were hugely impressed with Alex at a recent My First Skid event on the Island and once they passed this on to me, I felt he would fit in well to the quartet I have in mind.  Alex is a committed rider looking to expand on his current racing arrangements and has always caught the eye of the Warriors management, previously receiving regular invitations to open meetings at Smallbrook where possible. Let’s welcome Alex to the club - we are sure he is going to do us all proud.”

Talking about coming to the nation’s largest track Alex said, “I’m grateful to get the opportunity to ride on the Island this year! Like every rider it’s about racing your bike, improving and entertaining the fans, which I hope to do! Now we have the green light, I want to leave the politics behind and use these meetings to gain more experience and track time in a very quiet season while entertaining the fans and sponsors in what look to be some very entertaining meetings.”

The admission pricing structure for the seven meeting Summer Spectacular series was also confirmed today as follows:

On The Day Admission (cash only at the turnstile):

Adults (17 and over): £12.00
Seniors (OAP’s), Service Personnel & Students (with ID cards): £10.00
Children (16 and under): Free if accompanied by a paying adult
Visitors with additional needs: One carer free per paying guest

A match day programme will be £2.00

• Like 2

Wightlink Warriors Bring Back Chad Wirtzfeld For The Summer Spectaculars Plus The Wightlink Wizards First Fixture Is Confirmed

Wightlink Warriors’ new Team Manager Steve Piper has again acted quickly to ensure that fans favourite Chad Wirtzfeld will return to the Wightlink Warriors in 2021. He joins Danno Verge and Alex Spooner who were confirmed starters earlier this week. Blandford based Chad, who has been with the club since Martin Widman and Barry Bishop reintroduced speedway to the Island in 2016, will be competing in all seven Summer Spectacular meetings.

Steve Piper said, “We are very excited to have Chad back for 2021 because we know there is a lot more to come from this young man. Anyone who has seen the speed Chad rides at during My First Skid sessions knows that he has what it takes to go far in track sport and now we have to mould that undoubted talent to get the best performances from him in a race day environment. He already has a busy weekend schedule of grasstrack and longtrack fixtures, but he also has the Warrior connection running through his veins as he started as mascot and a My First Skid regular before stepping in to the Wightlink Wizards and Warriors teams, improving year on year. Mid-week racing fits his into his calendar well so with the Wightlink Warrior ethos of encouragement, development and progress I am sure we can help make this another year of real growth for Chad.”

Chad added, “It is great to get seven meetings on my favourite track and I shall be riding for both the Wightlink Warriors and participating in the Island Masters series. Everyone knows I always wanted to return to Smallbrook and it is great that Martin and Barry have found a way forward with meetings that should be great nights out for riders and fans alike. I’m looking forward to seeing all the supporters and once again doing my best for the club.”

Turning to the Wightlink Wizards, it has been confirmed that the first fixture for new manager Tony Cook and his team will see the welcome return of the Weymouth Wildcats to the Smallbrook Stadium as part of an integrated programme with the first round of the Island Masters individual event.

The Island co-owners and the Wildcats management have enjoyed a close working relationship over several seasons as the Dorset side continue to seek a suitable venue to re-establish the sport in the seaside town with Weymouth co-owner Martin Peters saying, “James (Tresadern) and I are thankful to Barry, Martin and the Island team for inviting us over for the first meeting at the new look IOW set up. We hope that everyone has a fantastic evening and our team will be doing the best we can to add to a memorable night”.

• Like 2

Good luck to IOW tonight. 

Barry has been on Facebook live throughout the day, promoting the meeting, promoting and giving exposure to the sponsors.

I really hope they have a successful season

• Like 5