British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Greg

IOW 2020

Sorry to see that Warriors have lost Macauley Leek due to him having financial issues. At this late stage they may have problems finding a replacement of the same standard but I hope Barry Bishop can work some magic. 

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

Sorry to see that Warriors have lost Macauley Leek due to him having financial issues. At this late stage they may have problems finding a replacement of the same standard but I hope Barry Bishop can work some magic. 

What a waste of an opportunity both for Leek and for the rider coming in who has little time to prepare.  Leek knew what was required when he signed so blaming lack of sponsorship is poor in my view although probably better now thsn the first few weeks of the season 

Posted (edited)

A shock and very unfair timing on the club and it’s supporters. Not many available options at all unfortunately. 

Edited by Islander15

Leek would have known his financial position when he signed so unless a backer(s) has pulled out his action is very poor. Bet he didn’t even think about going over to the Island and do some hard yards visiting local businesses.

Also leaves a gap in the under 21 qualifier that won’t be easy to fill.

Warriors will now have to call on their connections to find a number 7 up to 3.10.............think former Islander Tom Young might fit but after that who knows.

I would just like to say speedy recovery to I.O.W promotor Martin Widman who is currently in hospital after falling ill.

Martin is a fantastic & genuine man who has done wonders along side Barry & the loyal staff on the Island.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Lionspride said:

I would just like to say speedy recovery to I.O.W promotor Martin Widman who is currently in hospital after falling ill.

Martin is a fantastic & genuine man who has done wonders along side Barry & the loyal staff on the Island.

I would add m,y very best wishes to this. Both Martin and Barry are excellent people as well as fine examples of how to promote sport.

• Like 5

Wishing a speedy recovery to Martin and all the very best to all at the Warriors.

If you are a Facebook user, we are having a weekly speedway quiz on our usual Thursday race night. The questions and instructions are posted on the   Wightlink Warriors and Wightlink Wizards Supporter’s Club   Fb page at 19.00 with the answers posted the following Sunday. No prizes, just a bit of fun. Why not have a look and try your luck?

• Like 6

It is with great sadness we received the news this morning that Bill Slaughter, a big supporter of the Isle of Wight Speedway, the National League and many riders including Kelsey Dugard and Alex Spooner, has passed away.  Warriors Promoters Barry Bishop and Martin Widman have written their respects on the Warriors social media, which are both included below:

Barry Bishop:

Very upset to read this news from Kelsey Dugard about Bill Slaughter.

Many of you will have known him on the pits gate or around the stadium. Bill first got involved with the Warrior - Way as a driver for Kelsey and he loved the place so much he continued to travel from his home every week to watch and support the Warriors before becoming a valued member of our volunteers force. Although a volunteer, Bill still paid his ferry fares and bought a season ticket for the club every year to do his bit.

God’s speed my friend, until we meet up again.

Martin Widman:

It is with great regret that I post the following news that was passed to me this morning By Kelsey Dugard and that is the passing of Bill Slaughter, our friend, supporter and recently the best dressed gate man in speedway. Bill you were a gentleman in every way, charming, courteous and very supportive of several young speedway riders. You will be missed by many people. RIP my friend.

Bill will be greatly missed on the Island and around the tracks in UK speedway.  RIP Bill.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The Wightlink Warriors face mask will be here shortly and one can be yours for free.

The Warriors promotion have 100 of them coming and propose to give priority to the following.

1. NHS Staff of any capacity
2. Care industry staff of any capacity
3. Key workers
4. Fans that are in high risk category
5. Anyone else.

These masks are reusable and can be washed at 60c, they are double sided and produced with cotton inside and polyester outside.

What these masks do not do is replace the advice of the government and WHO. However, it has been suggested wearing a mask does help prevent the wearer transmitting the virus if they have it and also offers some barrier against the virus too.

If you would like to make a donation toward the cost of the mask, made by Dispeed, that will be great and we will send any money raised to Capt Tom Moore’s fundraising campaign.

The Warrior’s will make no financial gain at all from this, but the promotion will know we have done a little bit more to support you and the NHS at the most strange of times in the name of our volunteers, fans, sponsors and riders, while bringing the club to the very forefront of the action.

Please contact Barry Bishop for his address to send a SAE. Please note this is not being funded by the Warriors but by the promotion.

Remember stay home, protect the NHS and save lives.

590642087_WarriorsFacemask.thumb.jpg.5520a3dc54d9d880b01a831f32383fbe.jpg

• Like 1