British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
martinmauger

(Some) Japanese Speedway on C4

Saw an ad for Guy Martin's 'Our Guy In Japan', C4 Sunday Nite 9:00PM, clip showed him having a bash at Japanese Speedway, or Autorace as I believe they call it.

"It's speedway, Jim, but not as we know it".....

• Like 2

I've been to a couple of Autorace meetings. The relationship to speedway is very tenuous.

The best thing is the noise of the bikes. None of this silencer nonsense.

• Like 1

Back in the day, Briggo took an interest, and might have had a ride at Japanese speedway, and brought a guy called I think Jimmy Ogushi ? who had a try out in GB. Didn't come to anything as apart from a motor bike and a circuit, there was very little comparison. I have also seem, possible on Facebook, a meeting in Japan with some leading riders from this country giving it a try again a Jap team. Interesting race tactics as there is not just one way to ride their track.

Seemed to remember when Briggo went over there that it was reported that betting was a huge part of the sport. Riders, back then, were locked away in isolation for several days before meetings to avoid the possibility of race rigging.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Back in the day, Briggo took an interest, and might have had a ride at Japanese speedway, and brought a guy called I think Jimmy Ogushi ? who had a try out in GB. Didn't come to anything as apart from a motor bike and a circuit, there was very little comparison. I have also seem, possible on Facebook, a meeting in Japan with some leading riders from this country giving it a try again a Jap team. Interesting race tactics as there is not just one way to ride their track.

Jimmy Ogisu I think his name was, who rode at Plough Lane in the Internationale 

Remember seeing a film on the sport at one of the Motorbike shows in the 70s at Olympia or Earls Court,probably at the MCN stand

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, False dawn said:

Seemed to remember when Briggo went over there that it was reported that betting was a huge part of the sport. Riders, back then, were locked away in isolation for several days before meetings to avoid the possibility of race rigging.

I think it's in On any Sunday 2 that there is a segment about Japanese Speedway, obviously from several decades ago. The parts that stick in my mind are that the crowd was pretty much silent, in Japan they were for some unknown reason using Triumph engines and as you say the riders were kept isolated and taken out to their bikes in a covered trailer so they couldn't be in contact with anybody.

Edited by Vince

The crowds look similar to Speedway :rofl:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Loved the stampede of the crowd to get in and while Guy IS a talented motorcyclist he had to have practice before racing the local champ and Guy maybe should had taken him to the fence B). I'm kidding, ok :rofl:

Just imagine though: a Japanese SGP with Ole Olsen and his 'temporary track laying crew' laying a shale track and installing an air fence into that Japanese stadium....

Edited by martinmauger
Added thoughts

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:26 AM, Grachan said:

The best thing is the noise of the bikes. None of this silencer nonsense.

:t:

11 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

I found the following link on Youtube. Seems it is a challenge between flat track, roadracing and auto racing:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEYEn_fpv-4

Interesting, although I have seen some before on 'On Any Sunday.'  Prefer the Speedway style of riding so glad number 5 won. :D

• Like 1

I had no idea Haru Aoki did AutoRace these days. He was a fantastic rider at 125cc level in the road racing GPs in the 90s, winning the World title twice.

He never really delivered in the higher categories, but it's nice to know he's still out there racing bikes!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HenryW said:

I had no idea Haru Aoki did AutoRace these days. He was a fantastic rider at 125cc level in the road racing GPs in the 90s, winning the World title twice.

He never really delivered in the higher categories, but it's nice to know he's still out there racing bikes!

And when he's done with auto racing, he can move onto sumo wrestling! :unsure:

On 11/24/2019 at 6:52 PM, False dawn said:

That is totally correct and betting is all that drives it on . It is very very difficult for races to be rigged, if not impossible. It IS very exciting becasue it is all about handicap racing and the stars do have to race through the pack, which is good to watch. The biggest downside is that there is a 20 /30 min gap between races for the placing of new bets and the collecting of winnings ( not even tractors to watch race ) and the meeting lasts 8 hours plus. The upside is that it costs 50p to get in and if you are not a betting person it's a very cheap "bike racing " day. I enjoyed it several times when I lived and worked in Japan. Vastly more passing than in UK speedway that's for sure.