British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
martinmauger

(Some) Japanese Speedway on C4

Interesting then in the discussion about the price of sport. This seems as you say an extremely cheap sport to watch, yet still doesn't have packed stadia!! You might expect some walk in,walk out custom over the length of a meeting, so people might come for a couple of hours. Even I was thinking of going to my local Horse + Trap race track because it is mainly a betting sport and very cheap to get in, but haven't made it so far......

9 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Interesting then in the discussion about the price of sport. This seems as you say an extremely cheap sport to watch, yet still doesn't have packed stadia!! You might expect some walk in,walk out custom over the length of a meeting, so people might come for a couple of hours. Even I was thinking of going to my local Horse + Trap race track because it is mainly a betting sport and very cheap to get in, but haven't made it so far......

That's exactly what happens. People just go in and out, and the stadium numbers peak at lunch time when workers come in for a bet. A meeting goes on for a long time, with long gaps between races - very much like a horse racing meeting in the UK.

There's no real fan/rider association. Riders don't even use their real names, but use a nickname - again, like a horse in the UK.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 8:21 PM, iris123 said:

Jimmy Ogisu I think his name was, who rode at Plough Lane in the Internationale 

Remember seeing a film on the sport at one of the Motorbike shows in the 70s at Olympia or Earls Court,probably at the MCN stand

It was, i saw him ride in the 1970 internationale. I seem to remember getting his autograph on the night. 

• Like 1

Is there any footage of the sport pre-tarmac days online?

Am I right in thinking that speedway was banned in Japan because its to dangerous? 

Yes. Back in the 60s on dirt, which is when they switched over to tarmac or concrete or whatever

It's a shame that back in 2007 the F.I.M. did absolutely nothing to help the Malaysians to establish the sport in Southeast Asia.

They did make a genuine effort to get speedway started in Malaysia, but struggled badly without much outside help and expertise. Ivan Mauger was the one instructor and coach for the Malaysian speedway riders, but Mauger was already struggling with his heath back then. 

Edited by Bavarian

On 12/12/2019 at 4:54 PM, Bavarian said:

It's a shame that back in 2007 the F.I.M. did absolutely nothing to help the Malaysians to establish the sport in Southeast Asia.

They did make a genuine effort to get speedway started in Malaysia, but struggled badly without much outside help and expertise. Ivan Mauger was the one instructor and coach for the Malaysian speedway riders, but Mauger was already struggling with his heath back then. 

Tbh once they get away that's not a poor standard. So probably a sensible place for Eurosport/Onesport to look at if they intend to expand.

Was also a female Japanese rider that rode in Australia in the early 60s. Must have been a contemporary of Jimmy Ogisu when they were still riding on dirt. The first female riding Oz dirt tracks since 1928 (Fay Taylour ?)

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:34 PM, iris123 said:

Was also a female Japanese rider that rode in Australia in the early 60s. Must have been a contemporary of Jimmy Ogisu when they were still riding on dirt. The first female riding Oz dirt tracks since 1928 (Fay Taylour ?)

Right, that was the lovely Nanae Okamoto back in 1964 - and here are some motion pictures of her riding on an Australian speedway track !

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/VLVACC3RI6JBIDVE9J2LVYSV237CM-JAPANS-SPEEDWAY-GIRL-IN-AUSTRALIA/query/PRETTY

• Like 2