British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fozzie4388

Knockout Cup Draw

13 hours ago, Paulco said:

Interesting that in the quarter finals it is the 4 winners in the first round who will race against each other , as will the 4 byes . Doesn't seem very random 

No, but makes sense...it means that all clubs can crack on with KO Cup matches when they want to. Method in their madness

Edited by Richard Weston
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

At least all teams would have raced to get into the second round rather than have a free ticket.

They do it in the rugby union Heineken Cup, Europe’s top competition.

If we are comparing to other sports then the FA Cup is the pinicle of club sports cup competions.

That has 5 qualifying rounds with more clubs starting at each stage.

Then the bottom 2 "pro" leagues join in the 1st round proper and then the Elite at rnd 3.

59 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

If we are comparing to other sports then the FA Cup is the pinicle of club sports cup competions.

That has 5 qualifying rounds with more clubs starting at each stage.

Then the bottom 2 "pro" leagues join in the 1st round proper and then the Elite at rnd 3.

Can’t see your point. We’re talking about 12 clubs in the same division, not hundreds of clubs of different standards.

8 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Strange way to do it ,normally the full draw would put 1st round winner v bye. Doesnt make a lot a difference but why change things.Thats speedway though nothing simple.

Its usually done the way it has been done for next season.

This season Edinburgh, Scunny, Leicester, Newcastle and Berwick received bye's.  Matches were Edin v Scun and Ber v New.  Only Leicester had to wait to find out their opponents.  It allowed these 2 matches to take place when the teams wanted (as stated by another poster) and they were completed before the three matches from the previous round.:drink:

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Can’t see your point. We’re talking about 12 clubs in the same division, not hundreds of clubs of different standards.

There are plenty of other sports that have BYEs in early rounds to get the numbers right. For example in some drag racing competions it is possible to get a bye through every rnd into the final depending on number of entrants.

I do think in speedway when Byes are needed the fairest way is to give them to either...

The top 4 in the league from last season or the 4 semi finalists from last season.

From a financial point of view I would have thought the first round should have been regionalised? Poole v Somerset and Glasgow v Edinburgh would draw big crowds and much less travel, but maybe it's just the way the draw has worked out that highlights that to me!

1 hour ago, paulboy said:

From a financial point of view I would have thought the first round should have been regionalised? Poole v Somerset and Glasgow v Edinburgh would draw big crowds and much less travel, but maybe it's just the way the draw has worked out that highlights that to me!

Wouldn't really be a fair cup then. Regionalisation in the league is enough I'd have said. Glasgow and Edinburgh are likely to meet at least 6 times. 3 home, 3 away. 4 of those in the league, 2 in the Scottish cup

• Like 3

Looking at the fixture list The Koc has been changed it has

Leicester Vs Berwick

(Newcastle Vs Edinburgh

Poole Vs Eastbourne) was Poole Vs Edinburgh and Newcastle Vs Eastbourne

Redcar Vs Birmingham

Somerset vs Glasgow

Scunthorpe Vs Kent

Edited by Fozzie4388

Perhaps the four clubs agreed a swop, and I can understand the geographical logic if that was the reason, but still very odd / wrong that no public announcement was made and an official draw was amended after it had been made.

Devalues the cup, always thought it was the second best thing to win after the league, if it's so obviously manipuated from word go, who's to say the final might have been Poole vs Eastbourne if the draw was a proper draw and left alone, so whoever wins they may not have done if left unmanipulated.

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Devalues the cup, always thought it was the second best thing to win after the league, if it's so obviously manipuated from word go, who's to say the final might have been Poole vs Eastbourne if the draw was a proper draw and left alone, so whoever wins they may not have done if left unmanipulated.

To be fair, with the sport allowing all riders to ride on an adhoc basis for any team, at any given moment, the changing of a draw won't devalue any competition too much..

Given the low level of kudos, publicity and financial reward in winning any Speedway title, saving money on travel whilst facilitating more 'local' derbies, which may produce larger crowds than riding against a team from hundreds of miles away, seems to be a sensible decision...

• Like 2

If the reason it was done is Geographic then all the rest of the ties should be changed to be consistent. look at Glasgow they have to go to Somerset, thats not just a wee drive in the country. 

• Like 1

Not only can I not believe the cup draw has been changed, there was never an official announcement about the changes, did they hope no-one would notice!

• Like 1