British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fozzie4388

Knockout Cup Draw

Why call it a "draw" in the first place, us fans aren't stupid a draw is when names are put into a hat/container and picked at random and we all know these meetings are mostly arranged/sorted out, and guess what apparently Poole now get a 'buy' funny that!

8 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

Why call it a "draw" in the first place, us fans aren't stupid a draw is when names are put into a hat/container and picked at random and we all know these meetings are mostly arranged/sorted out, and guess what apparently Poole now get a 'buy' funny that!

do you think a bye is an advantage "hammer" surely its a missed opportunity for the club and riders to earn more,as a supporter i would prefer the extra meetingĀ 

17 minutes ago, poole keith said:

do you think a bye is an advantage "hammer" surely its a missed opportunity for the club and riders to earn more,as a supporter i would prefer the extra meetingĀ 

Unfortunately not running certain meetings can work out more profitable over a season than running them..

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

Unfortunately not running certain meetings can work out more profitable over a season than running them..

I guess thatĀ if a club is worried about the number of meetings or the travelling distances involved, they could exclude themselves from the competition altogether. If the regulations allow for this, I dread to think what the reaction from officials and fans might be.

As they used to say in exams in my day ,"Manchester United withdraws from the FA Cup. Compare and discuss!".

On 1/25/2020 at 10:45 AM, hammer1969 said:

How do Poole get a bye? Poole v Eastbourne in the first round!!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, poole keith said:

I would also prefer an extra meeting but a team that gets knocked out in the first round get no further meetings anyway.Ā  My personal opinion is that all clubs names should be put in a hat and picked at random, if trying to reduce travel distance for riders comes into the argument I dont believe it should as many of them ride for both leagues and some of them also ride abroad so why should us fans be denied a level playing field in what is called 'a knockout cup' it should be just that a knockout from 1st round to last round.Ā  Not trying to get into an argument with fans differing opinions of this just saying how I personally feel.

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

How do Poole get a bye? Poole v Eastbourne in the first round - winners meeting Somerset in Round 2!!

My mistake, sorry, its Birmingham, Kent, Leicester and Somerset who get 1st round byes

• Confused 1

Maybe the winners should be seeded straight to the final and, they can pick their opponents. Cuts out all the unnecessary draws, matches etc. But it can still be the 'Cup Final'Ā :t:

52 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

My mistake, sorry, its Birmingham, Kent, Leicester and Somerset who get 1st round byes

22/04, Somerset v Glasgow. KOC. 1st round.

24/04, Glasgow v Somerset. KOC 1st round 2nd leg.

1 hour ago, hammer1969 said:

10/05 Leicester v Berwick KOC 1st Round

23/05 Berwick v Leicester KOC 1st Round 2nd leg

1 hour ago, Normski said:

10/05 Leicester v Berwick KOC 1st Round

23/05 Berwick v Leicester KOC 1st Round 2nd leg

Notice that the Berwick leg is the same date as GP Qualifier at Glasgow.

• Like 1

My solution is for all the other teams fight it out for the honour of meeting Redcar Bears in the final.

Ā 

im a Bears fan, naturally !Ā 

• Like 1

I seem to be getting myself into a right old muddle over this KO cup, can someone please enlighten me as to which teams if any have actually got a first round by.

2 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

I seem to be getting myself into a right old muddle over this KO cup, can someone please enlighten me as to which teams if any have actually got a first round by.

On 27th November, the draw was announced as:

ROUND 1 DRAW: Poole v Edinburgh, Leicester v Berwick, Birmingham v Redcar, Somerset v Glasgow. Byes: Eastbourne, Kent, Newcastle, Scunthorpe.

QUARTER-FINAL DRAW: Scunthorpe v Kent, Birmingham/Redcar v Poole/Edinburgh, Somerset/Glasgow v Leicester/Berwick, Eastbourne v Newcastle.

The fixtures released on 23rd January appear to show:

ROUND 1 DRAW: Newcastle v Edinburgh, Leicester v Berwick, Birmingham v Redcar, Somerset v Glasgow. Byes: Eastbourne, Kent, Poole, Scunthorpe.

QUARTER-FINAL DRAW: Scunthorpe v Kent, Birmingham/Redcar v Newcastle/Edinburgh, Somerset/Glasgow v Leicester/Berwick, Eastbourne v Poole.

13 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

On 27th November, the draw was announced as:

ROUND 1 DRAW: Poole v Edinburgh, Leicester v Berwick, Birmingham v Redcar, Somerset v Glasgow. Byes: Eastbourne, Kent, Newcastle, Scunthorpe.

QUARTER-FINAL DRAW: Scunthorpe v Kent, Birmingham/Redcar v Poole/Edinburgh, Somerset/Glasgow v Leicester/Berwick, Eastbourne v Newcastle.

The fixtures released on 23rd January appear to show:

ROUND 1 DRAW: Newcastle v Edinburgh, Leicester v Berwick, Birmingham v Redcar, Somerset v Glasgow. Byes: Eastbourne, Kent, Poole, Scunthorpe.

QUARTER-FINAL DRAW: Scunthorpe v Kent, Birmingham/Redcar v Newcastle/Edinburgh, Somerset/Glasgow v Leicester/Berwick, Eastbourne v Poole.

Seems pretty obvious to me- someone cocked up on writing down the names after the original draw and as soon as they realised they corrected it( under 2 months isn`t bad) :)

• Haha 2