British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MAN ON THE TERRACE

Cradley Heathens

As a lifelong supporter of Birmingham, I am genuinely sorry to hear this news. This is a sad blow for speedway as a whole, not just the Heathens supporters. I hope that the search for a site for a permanent home for speedway in Cradley Heath will go on as I am sure it will, and I wish the club and their loyal band of supporters all the best for the future.

• Like 1

I find it difficult to believe there is not some industrial land available for a new track.More likely that the Council are nor behind Speedway returning.

1 minute ago, Gunner85 said:

I find it difficult to believe there is not some industrial land available for a new track.More likely that the Council are nor behind Speedway returning.

A problem that NIMBY's vote!

Rest in Peace, Heathens.

as a former resident of Dudley Metropolitan Borough (and briefly employee) I find it staggering that none of the many disused industrial brownfield sites in that borough, or indeed neighbouring areas were considered suitable for a speedway stadium by the council who have obviously decided that professional sport is for others. Indeed Dudley must be the only borough in the old West Midlands county with no professional sport at all. Shame on them.

Well done for surviving for 10 years without a home of your own. Only a special speedway club could achieve that. You could say that the killing of Cradley Heath Speedway over 20 years ago would be unlikely to have been allowed for most other sports where authorities bend over backwards to save sporting teams. Cradley was a rarity - a genuine part of the local sporting fabric. No question of "Oh, is it still goingt" when I lived in the area, 

Speedway needs Cradley needs speedway!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Rest in Peace, Heathens.

as a former resident of Dudley Metropolitan Borough (and briefly employee) I find it staggering that none of the many disused industrial brownfield sites in that borough, or indeed neighbouring areas were considered suitable for a speedway stadium by the council who have obviously decided that professional sport is for others. Indeed Dudley must be the only borough in the old West Midlands county with no professional sport at all. Shame on them.

Well done for surviving for 10 years without a home of your own. Only a special speedway club could achieve that. You could say that the killing of Cradley Heath Speedway over 20 years ago would be unlikely to have been allowed for most other sports where authorities bend over backwards to save sporting teams. Cradley was a rarity - a genuine part of the local sporting fabric. No question of "Oh, is it still goingt" when I lived in the area, 

Speedway needs Cradley needs speedway!

The perfect site for Cradley would  be around the area of the old freightliner depot in between Dudley Zoo and The Black Country Museum   https://www.google.com/maps/place/Black+Country+Living+Museum/@52.5189036,-2.0770964,238m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x80fb90ace73738fb!8m2!3d52.5200852!4d-2.0752618

However the leader of Dudley Council says the site is earmarked for other uses, and the Chairman of the Black Country Museum in his wisdom doesnt want to help, in my opinion they are very short sighted views which could boost visitor numbers at both of those sites by fans going to the Speedway making a day of it.. 

Edited by greyhoundp

It's a shame the stadium wasn't moved to the Black Country Museum. Gents bogs without a roof and spitfire nose cones would frighten the youngsters nowadays! 

Dudley Council have been claiming that the old Freightliner Depot site is "earmarked for other uses" for the last 20 years. The speedway club could have been using it for the whole of this time if Dudley MBC had shown just a modicum of enterprise. I'm told that this "other use" is for a station for the new Metro tram extension,  and by my reckoning, there is ample space on that site for a tram station, a speedway stadium and a large carpark. Dudley Council's performance has been pathetic.

• Like 2

I think mark Robinson should step up to the plate, put his money where his mouth is and show everyone how it should be done. Anyone can “ talk the talk............”

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jonnybegood said:

I think mark Robinson should step up to the plate, put his money where his mouth is and show everyone how it should be done. Anyone can “ talk the talk............”

More so now “the management” have said they’d gladly hand it over to someone ....

If M R thinks it makes loads of money he should jump at the chance 

I would support M R , he knows all about track prep, accounting, has shown he has some money , he would treat riders with respect , Great on a microphone....get on son !! If he got a racetrack / stadium built  I would gladly give him a tenner 

What aload of sh.. M.R. knows f...k all about track prep and running a club