British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stevehone

WSRA Gala Dinner 23.11.19

1 hour ago, stevehone said:

my pictures from the WSRA Gala Dinner 23.11.19

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_womble/albums/72157711954067898

Great pictures...and some riders I recognise (is that really John Davis?) but there are some vaguely familiar that I can't put names to!

Edited by steve roberts

Only recognised four... Briggo (ages but doesn’t change),  Dave Morton,  Bert Harkins,  and Jimmy McMillan (I think).  The rest.... not got a clue.  Likewise don’t know the youngsters either... but glad to see them there.

Good photos.

Anywhere that shows the list of award recipients?

48 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Only recognised four... Briggo (ages but doesn’t change),  Dave Morton,  Bert Harkins,  and Jimmy McMillan (I think).  The rest.... not got a clue.  Likewise don’t know the youngsters either... but glad to see them there.

Good photos.

I recognised Ole Nygren, Mike Broadbank, Barney Kennett, Chris Morton, Bengt Jansson, Richard Greer, Dingle Brown and a few others.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I recognised Ole Nygren, Mike Broadbank, Barney Kennett, Chris Morton, Bengt Jansson, Richard Greer, Dingle Brown and a few others.

I will go through again now I know some that are there, I thought I saw Chris Morton but then dismissed him.

26 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

I will go through again now I know some that are there, I thought I saw Chris Morton but then dismissed him.

Chris Morton is in the photo chatting to John Davis, Mike Patrick, Colin Pratt , Pete Seaton , Gary Stead and Chris Van Straaten, Tony mole, Neil Middleditch  are also in photo`s.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Good photos.

This is taken from the WSRA Facebook page which is well worth a look:

A gala occasion (words Tony Hurren, pictures Steve Hone)

The speedway action in Britain came to its conclusion almost a month ago, but it was on Saturday (November 23) that the curtain came down on the social side of the sport, when the World Speedway Riders' Association staged its annual Gala Dinner & Awards night at The Leicester Marriott Hotel.

The way the event was staged was up there with any similar sporting awards dinner. It was like a night at the Oscars. A full house of almost 200 guests including former riders (and a few present-day ones) and their partners; speedway officials; sponsors and supporters who all put on their Sunday best to make it a glittering occasion.

There were large screens around the dining area so that everyone could get a close up of what was happening. This included some splendid action from the past season and featured some of our departed friends and all the riders and clubs who were in the running for one of the coveted awards.

The timing of the dinner was 6pm for 7pm and this enabled guests to meet up and talk about old times. It did, as usual, feature the famous (or should that be infamous?) Rusty Nails offering put on by the Scottish arm of the WSRA. This mix of whisky and whatever is potent and there were certainly a few muzzy heads before dinner had been served.

WSRA president Mike Broadbank welcomed guests, while secretary Alan Philpott led a toast to Her Majesty The Queen and called for a one-minute silent tribute to the recently departed Split Waterman, Ted Hubbard and John Chaplin – who were all featured on the TV screens. After Alan had said grace dinner was served and it was a sumptuous four course meal fit for any banquet.

After dinner, presenter Craig Saul accompanied by the glamorous Roz Miles, revealed who had won the prestigious Silver Shoe awards, which were presented to the winners by some of the evening's best-known guests.

The Special Bravery Award went to 15 year old Sam Norris, who is making a remarkable recovery from the terrible accident he had at Glasgow Speedway in June. The Youth Rider of the Year was 15 year old Sam Hagon; Young Rider of the Year 17 year old Drew Kemp; while the Isle of Wight retained its Community Club of the Year status.

The Speedway Riders' Benevolent Fund Award was won by Ipswich, whose fans parted with the most cash in the annual Ben Fund collection. Drew Kemp was back on the stage to receive the Poultec Apprentice of the Year award from joint Great Britain team manager Olly Allen; while the Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to 90 year old Olle Nygren by four times World Champion Barry Briggs.

The big one was the Rider of the Year Award which, not surprisingly went to World Champion Bartosz Smarzlik. Due to a conglomeration of commitments, Bartosz was unable to be at the dinner, but WSRA chairman Bert Harkins recorded a video presentation with the National Speedway Museum as the appropriate backdrop. The silver shoe will be handed to the World Champion at a later date.

Among the riders promoters and officials present in addition to those already mentioned were:
Adam Roynon, Alan Sage, Barney Kennett, Ben Trigger, Bengt Jansson, Bernie Collier, Bobby McNeil, Brian Clark, Chris Harrison, Chris Morton, Chris Van Straaten, Colin Ackroyd, Colin Pratt, Danny King, Dave Morton, Dave Parry, Dingle Brown, Eric Broadbelt, Frank Smith, Garry Stead, George Major, Gerry King, Graham Flint, Graham Miles, Graham Tattersall, Ian Bottomley, Ian Clark, James Bond, Jim McMillan, John Davis, John Hart, John Payne, Karl Fiala, Les Rumsey, Mark Blackbird, Martin Hagon, Mike Patrick, Neil Middleditch, Norman Hunter, Paul Ackroyd, Pete Sampson, Pete Saunders, Pete Seaton, Peter Wrathall, Ray Wilson, Richard Greer, Ronnie Anderson, Roy Carter, Steve Hartley, Steve Hone, Steve Weatherley, Tony Hurren, Tony Mole, Troy Pratt, Vic White, Willie Dishington, etc etc.

This was an occasion that would not have been out of place at any venue anywhere in the world. The WSRA wanted this to be a very special event and that is exactly what it was.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

This is taken from the WSRA Facebook page which is well worth a look:

A gala occasion (words Tony Hurren, pictures Steve Hone)

The speedway action in Britain came to its conclusion almost a month ago, but it was on Saturday (November 23) that the curtain came down on the social side of the sport, when the World Speedway Riders' Association staged its annual Gala Dinner & Awards night at The Leicester Marriott Hotel.

The way the event was staged was up there with any similar sporting awards dinner. It was like a night at the Oscars. A full house of almost 200 guests including former riders (and a few present-day ones) and their partners; speedway officials; sponsors and supporters who all put on their Sunday best to make it a glittering occasion.

There were large screens around the dining area so that everyone could get a close up of what was happening. This included some splendid action from the past season and featured some of our departed friends and all the riders and clubs who were in the running for one of the coveted awards.

The timing of the dinner was 6pm for 7pm and this enabled guests to meet up and talk about old times. It did, as usual, feature the famous (or should that be infamous?) Rusty Nails offering put on by the Scottish arm of the WSRA. This mix of whisky and whatever is potent and there were certainly a few muzzy heads before dinner had been served.

WSRA president Mike Broadbank welcomed guests, while secretary Alan Philpott led a toast to Her Majesty The Queen and called for a one-minute silent tribute to the recently departed Split Waterman, Ted Hubbard and John Chaplin – who were all featured on the TV screens. After Alan had said grace dinner was served and it was a sumptuous four course meal fit for any banquet.

After dinner, presenter Craig Saul accompanied by the glamorous Roz Miles, revealed who had won the prestigious Silver Shoe awards, which were presented to the winners by some of the evening's best-known guests.

The Special Bravery Award went to 15 year old Sam Norris, who is making a remarkable recovery from the terrible accident he had at Glasgow Speedway in June. The Youth Rider of the Year was 15 year old Sam Hagon; Young Rider of the Year 17 year old Drew Kemp; while the Isle of Wight retained its Community Club of the Year status.

The Speedway Riders' Benevolent Fund Award was won by Ipswich, whose fans parted with the most cash in the annual Ben Fund collection. Drew Kemp was back on the stage to receive the Poultec Apprentice of the Year award from joint Great Britain team manager Olly Allen; while the Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to 90 year old Olle Nygren by four times World Champion Barry Briggs.

The big one was the Rider of the Year Award which, not surprisingly went to World Champion Bartosz Smarzlik. Due to a conglomeration of commitments, Bartosz was unable to be at the dinner, but WSRA chairman Bert Harkins recorded a video presentation with the National Speedway Museum as the appropriate backdrop. The silver shoe will be handed to the World Champion at a later date.

Among the riders promoters and officials present in addition to those already mentioned were:
Adam Roynon, Alan Sage, Barney Kennett, Ben Trigger, Bengt Jansson, Bernie Collier, Bobby McNeil, Brian Clark, Chris Harrison, Chris Morton, Chris Van Straaten, Colin Ackroyd, Colin Pratt, Danny King, Dave Morton, Dave Parry, Dingle Brown, Eric Broadbelt, Frank Smith, Garry Stead, George Major, Gerry King, Graham Flint, Graham Miles, Graham Tattersall, Ian Bottomley, Ian Clark, James Bond, Jim McMillan, John Davis, John Hart, John Payne, Karl Fiala, Les Rumsey, Mark Blackbird, Martin Hagon, Mike Patrick, Neil Middleditch, Norman Hunter, Paul Ackroyd, Pete Sampson, Pete Saunders, Pete Seaton, Peter Wrathall, Ray Wilson, Richard Greer, Ronnie Anderson, Roy Carter, Steve Hartley, Steve Hone, Steve Weatherley, Tony Hurren, Tony Mole, Troy Pratt, Vic White, Willie Dishington, etc etc.

This was an occasion that would not have been out of place at any venue anywhere in the world. The WSRA wanted this to be a very special event and that is exactly what it was.

Many thanks for the report! I'll look thru' again and try and put some of those names to faces!

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 9:33 AM, steve roberts said:

Many thanks for the report! I'll look thru' again and try and put some of those names to faces!

Great to see the invitation to young rider Sam Norris, who appears to be making a very steady recovery from his horrific crash at Glasgow in the BYC round in the summer.

• Like 4

Great photos but got to admit I couldn`t  put a name to a lot of them even though nearly all

of them were from my era.  Briggs. Broadbanks.  Harkins. McMillan. King. Roynon. Middleditch. Straton. Stead

Allen. Pratt. Morton.  the others I couldn`t place a name.

Edited by Dornier fixer