British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

1946/1947 Leadue Riders I got to see

I first saw speedway in 1964 and  have wondered whether any of the League Riders of 46- 47 were still around and I had seen them ride-. So I consulted Peter Morrish's great book "Britsh Speedway Leagues 1946-64". I never got to see any of the League Riders of 1946 but did get to see 6 guys who were in action in 1947. In fact two from Division 1 -Jack Biggs (Harringay) and Howdy Byford (West Ham), two from Division 2 Gordon McGregor (Glasgow White City)and Jack Winstanley  (Wigan) and two from Division 3 Ray Harris (Hanley) and Jim Squibb (Southampton. For subsequent seasons of course the number goes up.

I am sure other forumlanders must have seen many more from those two seasons than me- Norbold for a start and Gustix (obviously)-any other memories from anyone-including the aforementioned two  Cheers all

• Like 1

Title

Sorry for incorrect spelling in topic title!!

2 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

and Jim Squibb (Southampton)

I remember seeing Jimmy in the early 70's. He continued riding up to 1975 according to this....

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/2622/jimmy-squibb

Jim was amazing-he was still riding in the BL in 1967 and very much holding his own-reckon he would have been 46 then. Anybody remember reading about him  getting riders to stop riding in the 1963  Provincial League Riders Final at Belle Vue until the promoters agreed to come up with a five person run off to decide the last two riders to get to the 4 rider Grand Final (at least I think that was the reason although memory may be getting a bit foggy after 56 years!!!!!!!!!!). Great character was Cap'n Jim-looked like a pirate with his beard.!!

The longest serving riders I can remember seeing when I started going in 1960 were riding before the War. Off the top of my head, without fully checking, I can remember seeing Ron Johnson, Geoff Pymar, Wal Morton, Cyril Brine and Aub Lawson. Aub was still a top rider when I saw him. In fact he scored 16 paid 17 in the first match I ever saw and reached the World Final that year. Ron Johnson began his speedway career in 1927.

From 1946 the only riders I can think of, apart from the above, are Len Read and Reg Lambourne.

Edited by norbold

Enjoyed your post Norbold-where was Ron Johnson riding in 1960??wish I could have seen him although I guess he must have been a shadow of himself. I know Geoff Pymar kept going for a long time -was he in a Prov. League team when you saw him?? Think I may have only just missed seeing Cyril Brine and Wal Morton but not sure.

3 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Enjoyed your post Norbold-where was Ron Johnson riding in 1960??wish I could have seen him although I guess he must have been a shadow of himself. I know Geoff Pymar kept going for a long time -was he in a Prov. League team when you saw him?? Think I may have only just missed seeing Cyril Brine and Wal Morton but not sure.

Geoff Pymar rode for Yarmouth in 1960, then moved on to Middlesborough and Wolverhampton before retiring in 1962 while riding for Bradford. Cyril Brine retired in 1963 and Wal Morton in 1964. In 1960, Ron Johnson rode for New Cross Colts and then for a short time for Edinburgh.

That's a drag- I missed  Cyril Brine by one year and Geoff Pymar by two-where was Wal Morton riding in 1964??-don't recall seeing him-will have to check my programs. Thanx for the info Norbold.

Wal rode for Hackney in 1964 and I believe he also turned out for Ipswich and Weymouth in the Metropolitan League.

On 12/1/2019 at 11:11 PM, False dawn said:

I remember seeing Jimmy in the early 70's. He continued riding up to 1975 according to this....

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/2622/jimmy-squibb

Recall seeing Jimmy riding for Cradley in 1972 and Eastbourne.

23 minutes ago, norbold said:

Wal rode for Hackney in 1964 and I believe he also turned out for Ipswich and Weymouth in the Metropolitan League.

Are you sure about that Norbold?  Wal certainly rode for Hackney early in the 1963 season, but was dropped after a few matches. I think he was the oldest rider in the league at that time.

I stand to be corrected if you have other information, but as far as I know he was programmed to ride for the Hawks in one match in 1964 but was a non starter. Apart from that I don’t think he rode at all. 

6 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Are you sure about that Norbold?  Wal certainly rode for Hackney early in the 1963 season, but was dropped after a few matches. I think he was the oldest rider in the league at that time.

I stand to be corrected if you have other information, but as far as I know he was programmed to ride for the Hawks in one match in 1964 but was a non starter. Apart from that I don’t think he rode at all. 

Yes, you're right. Sorry, it was 1963 his last season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, norbold said:

Yes, you're right. Sorry, it was 1963 his last season.

Wal Morton rode a few times in 1964, including at Ipswich on 21st June in second half races, for Ipswich at home to Weymouth in a Metropolitan League match on 21st July and for Weymouth at Rayleigh on 1st August, again in a Metropolitan League match. 

He did ride at Hackney in 1964, in two second half races on 29th April, then although programmed to ride in the second half on 6th May he did not take part. Wal had also been named at number 5 in the Hackney team for the Southern League match at Long Eaton on 28th April but failed to arrive and was replaced by the reserve in his third and fourth programmed rides-. 

• Like 2

What a lovely memory jogging thread. Thanks for starting it Bob. I remember seeing Jim Squibb’s last ever ride in an end of season second half at Weymouth. Wonderful character and always a bonus to have a few minutes chat with him. 

I think most of the early post war riders have been mentioned and the only other one I can think of is possibly Harry Edwards of Rayleigh. That’s purely from (sometimes flawed) memory though!

:)

With this great thread still running did anyone see much of speedy Pete Jarman in his early career Stoke. 1960...

??? He was a rider i only saw from late 60s to 70s and for me he was in the mould of Jimmy Squibb a real character a tough but fair rider.