Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

1946/1947 Leadue Riders I got to see

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

With this great thread still running did anyone see much of speedy Pete Jarman in his early career Stoke. 1960...

??? He was a rider i only saw from late 60s to 70s and for me he was in the mould of Jimmy Squibb a real character a tough but fair rider.

Remember Pete Jarman when he turned out for 'The Rebels' and Eastbourne towards the back end of his career. Great buddy of 'Joe' Gooddy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to watch the last meeting at Liverpool in 1960. I can't remember anything about it except that it rained hard but a check on the Speedway Researcher website has Wal Morton at No 1 for the Pirates. The winning time for heat 1 was 95.8. Has there ever been a slower time in Heat 1 of a meeting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Remember Pete Jarman when he turned out for 'The Rebels' and Eastbourne towards the back end of his career. Great buddy of 'Joe' Gooddy.

Jarman, Timmo, Dews, Hasse, Pander, Samuelson, Gooddy, Genz, Strachan all made of the same ilk whatever level.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:15 PM, Sidney the robin said:

With this great thread still running did anyone see much of speedy Pete Jarman in his early career Stoke. 1960...

??? He was a rider i only saw from late 60s to 70s and for me he was in the mould of Jimmy Squibb a real character a tough but fair rider.

Didn't Pete Jarman start his career as a cycle speedway rider and move on to the motorised version later in life?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Split said:

Didn't Pete Jarman start his career as a cycle speedway rider and move on to the motorised version later in life?

Yes I think that you are right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Split said:

Didn't Pete Jarman start his career as a cycle speedway rider and move on to the motorised version later in life?

Yes Split did cycle speedway then in 1959 went to the Rye House training track.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:36 AM, steve roberts said:

Remember Pete Jarman when he turned out for 'The Rebels' and Eastbourne towards the back end of his career. Great buddy of 'Joe' Gooddy.

Hi Steve-I started a thread on this site on Speedy Pete way back on Dec 26 2006 entitled  "What happened to the Lemon Drop Kid" there were a number of responses you might be interested in. Sadly Pete passed away in 2007 aged 72 from prostate cancer- I remember him well-he scored 11 points in the last PLRC Final and just missed a run off for third with Pete Kelly and Roy Trigg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I should have posted this as a quote to Sidney the Robin rather than Steve who in turn quoted Sid. Anyway am glad Pete's name came up again!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Sorry I should have posted this as a quote to Sidney the Robin rather than Steve who in turn quoted Sid. Anyway am glad Pete's name came up again!!

Great stuff Bobbath no problem  Steve 

has alot more sense than me , he is a really nice guy / top bloke.Speedy was a character along with Chris Julian, Jimmy Squibb, Jimmy ,Gooch real speedway people the unsung heroes all four  were all tough not to be messed with.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Great stuff Bobbath no problem  Steve 

has alot more sense than me , he is a really nice guy / top bloke.Speedy was a character along with Chris Julian, Jimmy Squibb, Jimmy ,Gooch real speedway people the unsung heroes all four  were all tough not to be messed with.

Thanks Sid and it's always a great pleasure to reminisce with you and other like minded people about years gone by!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy