British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wee Eck

BSI lose GPs

I think Cardiff will be removed from the calendar from 2022. 

The Poles won't be interested in the initial pay out required, regards the profits from Cardiff, does anyone really know compared to Warsaw and other GP's. 

12 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I think Cardiff will be removed from the calendar from 2022. 

The Poles won't be interested in the initial pay out required, regards the profits from Cardiff, does anyone really know compared to Warsaw and other GP's. 

WHO are these Poles you are taking about? The right holders are Discovery ultimately owned by one of the richest companies in the world. The SGP in Warsaw is heavily subsidised by the PZM who use it as a showpiece meeting for Polish speedway and absorb the losses. 

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHO are these Poles you are taking about? The right holders are Discovery ultimately owned by one of the richest companies in the world. The SGP in Warsaw is heavily subsidised by the PZM who use it as a showpiece meeting for Polish speedway and absorb the losses. 

Discovery will be utilising the team running the SEC series are they not? They are 'the Poles' I was referring to.

Discovery are far more shrewd with their overheads. They'll never spend a penny more then they want. With all the sports they have rights to they operate at the bare minimum required

5 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Discovery will be utilising the team running the SEC series are they not? They are 'the Poles' I was referring to.

Discovery are far more shrewd with their overheads. They'll never spend a penny more then they want. With all the sports they have rights to they operate at the bare minimum required

IT is pure speculation speculation that One Sport will run the series and even if they did why would they jettison Cardiff which is a proven money-spinner. Also the FIM still have to approve the calendar.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IT is pure speculation speculation that One Sport will run the series and even if they did why would they jettison Cardiff which is a proven money-spinner. Also the FIM still have to approve the calendar.

That's my point. It is no way proven to be a bigger money spinner than any other GP. It's a myth. 

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

That's my point. It is no way proven to be a bigger money spinner than any other GP. It's a myth. 

IT'S certainly not a myth. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

What are the positive's of changing BSI people to One Sport people? Why does it need to be done? Discovery will own it all but since the meetings are under FIM, Morris will continue to be the clerk of the course and lead local people who actually make the GP happen.

Why would it be One Sport, what have they done to earn the right to do anything at GP level?

19 hours ago, bendover said:

Not at all, my point is we pay over the odds for tickets in this country. 

We as a nation are too gullible when it comes to ticket prices for all sporting events. For example, People constantly complain about prices to watch Premiership football yet all the stadia are full with waiting lists for season tickets at many clubs. 

In fact, if you read through the Cardiff GP threads on here people are always moaning about the price of a ticket but still go.

I paid £19 last year, always do, fantastic value!

5 hours ago, f-s-p said:

What are the positive's of changing BSI people to One Sport people? Why does it need to be done? Discovery will own it all but since the meetings are under FIM, Morris will continue to be the clerk of the course and lead local people who actually make the GP happen.

Why would it be One Sport, what have they done to earn the right to do anything at GP level?

BSI people work for IMG so they cannot just carry on unless Discovery try and acquire the current team. For the record: Phil Morris is Race Director... he would not be happy being demoted to Clerk of the Course:party:

24 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BSI people work for IMG so they cannot just carry on unless Discovery try and acquire the current team. For the record: Phil Morris is Race Director... he would not be happy being demoted to Clerk of the Course:party:

Demoted to raker would still be too good for him.:angry:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, tyretrax said:

Demoted to raker would still be too good for him.:angry:

Nothing wrong with Phil does his job well and a bloody nice bloke

3 minutes ago, hobnob said:

Nothing wrong with Phil does his job well and a bloody nice bloke

Not very popular in Glasgow though, I think

21 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

The new rights holders would be off their heads to jettison Cardiff. It's a proven money maker with a loyal base, the event template is long embedded and with the safety net of (rumoured) seven figure support from the Welsh Government, it's a classic no brainer.

Broadly, I think BSI have done a good job with the GPs. With venues like Warsaw, Cardiff, Stockholm, Copenhagen and the like, they have moved the World Championships on significantly from the fading embers of the old one-off finals and the early GP series at Coventry, Pocking and the like. Live World Championship speedway on live television is now taken for granted as are some of the plush stadia it takes place in. 25 years ago, the world championship was in a very different place, despite what some fans and their rose-tinted monkey masks would say.

But, I agree that there has been some stagnation in recent years and some freshening up could be a good thing. A more global series with new venues and new markets would be a welcome development. 

Good luck to One Sport, I sincerely hope they make a great breakthrough. Biased I may be, but a quality SGP stands fair comparison with any major motorsport world championship and is - I believe- a great product. My fear is that they will discover why BSI had difficulty in establishing any long-term sustainability in new markets and regressed to the reliable core markets of Polish, Swedish and British audiences. Put it this way, I wouldn't invest any of my own money into SGP's potential international growth. 

Edited by falcace
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Really?

How many fingers do you have on your hand.. 

Off the top of my head.. Wolves, Norwich, West Ham, Man Utd, Liverpool, Brighton... six teams that are sold out for every home game this season.

Add in Leicester, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Man City, Tottenham, Bournemouth, Everton, Arsenal to the above.

Crystal Palace almost every game.

Watford for most, almost full in the others.

So at least 14 teams with full stadiums for every single home game... and most of the others full in most games.

I must have 14 fingers then! The comment made was about full stadia, not nearly full. The only one that sells out for every match is also the largest - Manchester United with 74,879. 

10 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

I must have 14 fingers then! The comment made was about full stadia, not nearly full. The only one that sells out for every match is also the largest - Manchester United with 74,879. 

And I've told you that Wolves, Norwich, West Ham, Man Utd, Liverpool, Brighton, Leicester, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Man City, Tottenham and Everton have all sold out for every home match.

Crystal Palace have sold out for most of theirs, Watford for most of theirs.

The other teams have all sold out for many of their games.

So just taking the 14 that sell out every game, thats approx 14 x 8.. gives you 112 matches.. you've got quite a few fingers there. 

Your statement was utterly wrong, accept it and move on.

• Like 1