British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wee Eck

BSI lose GPs

13 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

Except last night's match which was a cup quarter final and only 58,000

That can’t be right - BWitcher tells me, despite the stats, that every Premier stadium sells out every match. They must have been using old Arnold with the arthritic thumb to click the crowd counter last night :D

• Haha 1

I trust the attached table will help resolve the Premier League attendance debate!

What I do know is that any speedway promoter would love to run their business with their venue being regularly filled to 95% of its capacity, particularly (as in the case of the EPL) that this is not necessarily their major source of income!

Furthermore, if we accept that watching the EPL is an expensive business, then it underlines my point that if the product is right people will pay to watch it. As a result, it follows that all this tosh about admission to speedway meetings being too expensive to attract punters is just that....TOSH!!

If the product is right people will pay to watch it....and there lies the issue!

Screenshot 2019-12-23 at 20.16.58.png

Also clubs may not have full capacity for all matches but tickets do not go on general sale where if they did the stadium would be full.

On 12/17/2019 at 5:06 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

... jettison Cardiff which is a proven money-spinner...

I'd like to see the accounts that show that a 40% full Principality Stadium can possibly be more money than "spin".

On 12/23/2019 at 7:37 PM, Tim G said:

Also clubs may not have full capacity for all matches but tickets do not go on general sale where if they did the stadium would be full.

There’s two hopes of getting a home Premier league match ticket for AFC Bournemouth. No hope and Bob Hope. Bob has left the building.

Any empty seats seen are season ticket holders who have not turned up. The system used to get a regular ticket for Bournemouth home games makes it almost completely impossible due to the points system in place. Touts possibly the only bet to get inside the ground. Believe if Bournemouth had a 25,000 capacity it would still be full.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:31 PM, Mr Snackette said:

I trust the attached table will help resolve the Premier League attendance debate!

What I do know is that any speedway promoter would love to run their business with their venue being regularly filled to 95% of its capacity, particularly (as in the case of the EPL) that this is not necessarily their major source of income!

Furthermore, if we accept that watching the EPL is an expensive business, then it underlines my point that if the product is right people will pay to watch it. As a result, it follows that all this tosh about admission to speedway meetings being too expensive to attract punters is just that....TOSH!!

If the product is right people will pay to watch it....and there lies the issue!

Id agree with much of what you say except that Football gets the gates it does because the product is right. It has the huge advantage that supporters are almost born into the sport simply because it is already so popular in the UK and children follow their parents in so many cases. Almost every kid plays football at least for a while. The atmosphere of supporting a football club is so tribal that for a large number they simply can't imagine doing anything else on a Saturday afternoon (mainly), after all there are plenty of poor games played at all those clubs during a season. The success of being in the top division counts for a lot as well given that they get to see different world class players most weeks.

I don't think it would suddenly bring big crowds to Speedway clubs if the tracks and racing were great every week. We now have one of the best tracks in the world in a large city producing consistently good racing in front of relatively small crowds. Still seems that winning is what will bring crowds into the local Speedway track every week and as soon as the winning ends so do the reasonable crowd levels.

Trouble is Vince it wasn’t always like that . Back in the 70s and 80s a lot of clubs had a real slump in attendances . The interesting bit is how the sport was rebuilt again after some of those terrible disasters and the dark days of hooliganism etc

27 minutes ago, Vince said:

Id agree with much of what you say except that Football gets the gates it does because the product is right. It has the huge advantage that supporters are almost born into the sport simply because it is already so popular in the UK and children follow their parents in so many cases. Almost every kid plays football at least for a while. The atmosphere of supporting a football club is so tribal that for a large number they simply can't imagine doing anything else on a Saturday afternoon (mainly), after all there are plenty of poor games played at all those clubs during a season. The success of being in the top division counts for a lot as well given that they get to see different world class players most weeks.

I don't think it would suddenly bring big crowds to Speedway clubs if the tracks and racing were great every week. We now have one of the best tracks in the world in a large city producing consistently good racing in front of relatively small crowds. Still seems that winning is what will bring crowds into the local Speedway track every week and as soon as the winning ends so do the reasonable crowd levels.

Agree entirely...it's in the nation's mindset and enjoys full media exposure.

11 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Agree entirely...it's in the nation's mindset and enjoys full media exposure.

Yep .......... sickening isn't it!  There's so many things wrong with football but it's all overlooked for the love of your club ..... tch!

On 12/23/2019 at 7:31 PM, Mr Snackette said:

For all my sins i am an Arsenal fan, and have a few mates with season tickets so I can go pretty much as often as I like. I dont care what the stats say, I ve been to the Emirates and there has been maybe 10,000 empty seats on more then one occasion. In fact in my last 3 visits it's only been the littlebaway section in the corner totally packed. I think they must count season ticket holders regardless of whether they attend or not as that seat isn't for general sale.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

For all my sins i am an Arsenal fan, and have a few mates with season tickets so I can go pretty much as often as I like. I dont care what the stats say, I ve been to the Emirates and there has been maybe 10,000 empty seats on more then one occasion. In fact in my last 3 visits it's only been the littlebaway section in the corner totally packed. I think they must count season ticket holders regardless of whether they attend or not as that seat isn't for general sale.

Yeh we do it as tickets sold so will always show as pretty much a sellout.  I've been season ticket holder for donkeys years and it's been like that since we moved from Highbury.  Makes us look a bit daft really. 

4 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

Yeh we do it as tickets sold so will always show as pretty much a sellout.  I've been season ticket holder for donkeys years and it's been like that since we moved from Highbury.  Makes us look a bit daft really. 

And ten minutes into 2nd half there are still a few thousand watching the game underneath on tv while they drink a beer...

The people i go with regularly, leave the match on 88 mins, 30 secs to get to the underground before its gets crazy. Last time I stayed till the end and just walked from the stadium to st pancaras. Took 45 mins or so and was relatively pleasant.

5 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

And ten minutes into 2nd half there are still a few thousand watching the game underneath on tv while they drink a beer...

The people i go with regularly, leave the match on 88 mins, 30 secs to get to the underground before its gets crazy. Last time I stayed till the end and just walked from the stadium to st pancaras. Took 45 mins or so and was relatively pleasant.

Yeh is a nice walk to St Pancras if the weather behaves.  My former house was 30 seconds walk from the old stadium - i rather miss the being back home by 5pm bit now i'm down in South London near Palace. Am lucky if i get back by 7 these days. 

On 12/18/2019 at 2:31 PM, Wee Eck said:

I must have 14 fingers then! The comment made was about full stadia, not nearly full. The only one that sells out for every match is also the largest - Manchester United with 74,879. 

sorry Bournemouth sell out , because it has a very small capacity