British Speedway Forum

24 minutes ago, Gambo said:

4,3,2,0 cuts out the need for 'Bonus Point' calculations in the event of ties.

Of course but it is not the way speedway fans want it IMHO. 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2020 at 8:05 PM, krompa said:

Of course but it is not the way speedway fans want it IMHO. 

Definitely not my preference - the winners may not win one race (cross the line first), can't be right.

37 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Definitely not my preference - the winners may not win one race (cross the line first), can't be right.

It can be right if the 2 riders work as a team- last is no good so they try and make sure that doesn`t happen. The Belle Vue track would seem ideally suited for team riding of the highest order.

Back to my question. Anyone able to confirm rules for 2020? Nothing on FIM site as far as I can see.

Edited by krompa

2 hours ago, racers and royals said:

It can be right if the 2 riders work as a team- last is no good so they try and make sure that doesn`t happen. The Belle Vue track would seem ideally suited for team riding of the highest order.

Yeah, I understand that but the point of speedway for me is about winning races, not blocking out a guy in last.  Can get great team riding for a 5-1 also or limiting the damage with a 3-3.

Edited by SPEEDY69

On 12/18/2019 at 2:20 PM, Col said:

Think it has been Friday & Saturday last couple of years, but it could have been a Saturday & Sunday.

I just hope BT don't televise Sale Sharks v Saracens at a silly time that weekend so I can attend that too.

For anyone interested Sale Sharks v Saracens is on the Friday at 15:00, tickets now on sale.  Should be easy to attend both.

Can anybody confirm the start times for the Belle Vue meetings? Belle Vue website says 7pm but there is nothing on SON website.

On 2/12/2020 at 5:01 AM, SPEEDY69 said:

It was possible in the old World Finals, and nobody complained about the possibility then...

We've been through this before on here, anyway...

In an individual event, the individual CAN be rewarded for finishing first, but not always. In a team event, why should the TEAM finishing ahead of the opposing TEAM not be rewarded. It happens in other sports (cycling, for example).

Anyway, if a system is designed to find the highest accumulation of points, rather than simply how many times you win, then you can't say that it's "can't be right"; it's the same for everyone, and it's FAIR for everyone. 

• Like 1

I agree chunky. Speedway can be an individual sport or a team sport. In the case of the SON, it is a team sport, so why not reward the best TEAM rather than the team with the best individual rider? The individuals can show their prowess in the Grand Prix (or not).

5 hours ago, chunky said:

It was possible in the old World Finals, and nobody complained about the possibility then...

We've been through this before on here, anyway...

In an individual event, the individual CAN be rewarded for finishing first, but not always. In a team event, why should the TEAM finishing ahead of the opposing TEAM not be rewarded. It happens in other sports (cycling, for example).

Anyway, if a system is designed to find the highest accumulation of points, rather than simply how many times you win, then you can't say that it's "can't be right"; it's the same for everyone, and it's FAIR for everyone. 

What's with all the TEAM, it's FAIR, do you think I'm thick? I disagree, this effectively ranks 2nd and 3rd as better the first and fourth. To me there should be no difference and in team speedway that's been how the points have been awarded for decades. 

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 1

I still think it should be 3,2,1,0 points in each and every speedway race. It is perfectly acceptable for a speedway race to result in a 3-all tie. If it happens in a knock-out semi-final or final race, like can be the case in the SoN, simply use the points scored in the previous 42 qualifying heats as the deciding factor about which pair should get the win. 

In no way do I favour a differnt point scoring system for any of these pairs racing events, such as the 4,3,2,0 which was often used in Britain and favoures the second and third placed riders over the first and last, or the latest FIM Version for the 2020 SoN which is 8,5,2,0 points, which favours the race winner and the last placed rider over the secdon and third. First and fourth is equally as good as second and third. The poinst System should not be changed at all.

A 3-all should always be a 3-all, just find different criteria to decide which team progresses or wins in a knock-out competition. Why not use the total points scored from the qualifying heats to break a 3-all tie? Such a system would make the qualifying heats even more important. The pair entering such a knock out race with a lower points total need a 4-2 or 5-1 to advance/win, while the team with the higher qualifying points total aims for a 3-all or better. 

Edited by Bavarian
  • Like 3

I mean, I am only 32 but I always thought historically, pairs events were scored 4-3-2-0

If you want to encourage team riding

3-2-1-0

If you finish behind your partner in a point scoring position as it is now in league racing. You get a bonus point. In the event of a tie the first decide is the team with the higher amount of bonus points

Coulda just had a 2 rider run off if equal. Used to do it in the world pairs. What a dramatic finish that would been to the 2018 competition 

Edited by RPNY